Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: The Next Channel to Clamor For...

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 am

SuetyStanes wrote:

In fact, a more a la carte offering of most of the cable channels would be great. One of the reasons I left cable long ago was because there was a lot that I was paying for that I never watched. If I could pick and choose what I wanted to pay for, those channels would regain a customer.

That's the Holy Grail of IP TV that everybody wants and isn't going to happen any time soon for a number of reasons, mostly with $$$ in front of them.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Village Idiot

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 am

SyFi channel would be nice. I would consider $5 for it.
IF it had everything fully available.

jhernes

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:14 am

Village Idiot wrote:
SyFi channel would be nice. I would consider $5 for it.
IF it had everything fully available.

Hulu + offered SyFy and maybe more.
- Battlestar Galactica
- Eureka
- Destination Truth
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

seahorsejl

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:24 am

A Plex channel that could stream movies from a Plex Media Manager located in the same house/network.

vnzjunk

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:21 pm

cangel0612 wrote:
A big YES to all of those...

ESPN3, because if you have an ISP that already subscribes, there are no extra fees. :D

CBS: For sure!

Vudu: there are more fees, but might be worth looking into

TLC, Discovery, AMC, Food Network... would be great!

ESPN3. I made that point in an earlier post but was told by a resident expert on the board that you would still have to pay a fee. Makes no sense to me but what do I know. Oh I do know this, I already get it on my computer and from the computer to the tv screen for FREE (as in included in my internet/cable subscription, so I am already paying for it). But why quibble over a few hundred extra bucks a year? Its only money and we all have plenty of that rite?

TheEndless

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 pm

vnzjunk wrote:
ESPN3. I made that point in an earlier post but was told by a resident expert on the board that you would still have to pay a fee. Makes no sense to me but what do I know. Oh I do know this, I already get it on my computer and from the computer to the tv screen for FREE (as in included in my internet/cable subscription, so I am already paying for it). But why quibble over a few hundred extra bucks a year? Its only money and we all have plenty of that rite?

I just checked, and it looks like my ISP is finally supported (Roadrunner via Time Warner), but they require "you must receive ESPN as part of your television service" which is a new requirement (as far as I can tell) beyond just having a supported ISP. I do have ESPN, but my television service is through DirecTV, so I don't qualify. With such an absurd range of requirements for qualification, I imagine it would be difficult to do a channel without charging a fee just to avoid the authentication overhead of the current web access.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

bozzy

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:40 pm

TheEndless wrote:
vnzjunk wrote:

I just checked, and it looks like my ISP is finally supported (Roadrunner via Time Warner), but they require "you must receive ESPN as part of your television service" which is a new requirement (as far as I can tell) beyond just having a supported ISP. I do have ESPN, but my television service is through DirecTV, so I don't qualify. With such an absurd range of requirements for qualification, I imagine it would be difficult to do a channel without charging a fee just to avoid the authentication overhead of the current web access.

Are you sure you are referring to ESPN3? Time Warner now has a deal with ESPN to broadcast ESPN through broadband but this is a separate feature than ESPN3. I forget exactly what they call that new service on ESPN but the ESPN3 availability is based only on the ISP afaik.

TheEndless

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm

bozzy wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
Are you sure you are referring to ESPN3? Time Warner now has a deal with ESPN to broadcast ESPN through broadband but this is a separate feature than ESPN3. I forget exactly what they call that new service on ESPN but the ESPN3 availability is based only on the ISP afaik.

Yep. The full text from ESPN3.com is:
espn3.com wrote:
Attention Time Warner Cable Customers
In order to watch ESPN3.com, you must receive ESPN as part of your television service. Please select Time Warner Cable from the list below and you'll be taken to Time Warner Cable’s web site to verify your account. The ESPN3.com video player will open automatically when you're done.

EDIT: Funny.. I just went through the hassle of setting up a Time Warner account so I could authenticate with ESPN3 to see if I had access by some off chance. Once I did, as expected, I got a message stating that my subscription wasn't sufficient to get ESPN3. I then closed the browser, re-opened it on espn3.com, and it logged me straight in with full access... If you don't tell, I won't tell... :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

QuantumIguana

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:47 pm

PBS
C-Span

Big Ten Network web content: I know we aren't going to get the games from the BTN channel, but the content on the BTN website would be great, for example, highlights of games. BTN also has PPV to watch some games online, games that aren't being televised on the BTN channel. I'd like that content to be available on the Roku. It shouldn't be too difficult, you could pay for the PPV on your computer, and then watch it on the Roku.

cangel0612

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:50 pm

For many of us, the ESPN3 just works. With Cox cable, you don't need to login, it's just based on IP address - which is awesome. You can login from other places too if you are not at home (which I was able to do from Tunisia during the World Cup!).
Also, I don't even have cable TV, but I am still able to watch ESPN3 just fine.

I wish we had the Time Warner access to that continuously live channel though, that would be awesome.
Roku HD
HDTV 720p HDMI 37"
Cox Internet Premier
No cable/sat service :)

Roku Private Channel List: http://almostaccurate.com/roku/

hn333

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Naked News

DallasSoxFan

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Fox News
SportsCenter

I wouldn't watch either, but it would stop my relatives from grumbling about me not having cable every time they visit. I would even pay for that headache removal.

Actually, I'd love to see a "how-to channel" along the lines of Instructables, wikihow, or eHow. Need to learn how to change your brakes? Just bring the roku out to the garage and hook it up to the old CRT TV you have on a shelf collecting dust.

tobarefeet

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:45 pm

[quote="DallasSoxFan"]Fox News
SportsCenter

I wouldn't watch either, but it would stop my relatives from grumbling about me not having cable every time they visit. I would even pay for that headache removal.

LOL

Franky66

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm

1. ESPN-3

2. Encore

3. Sundance Channel

4. EuroChannel

PaulieB

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Comedy Central would be a GREAT addition!
-Tosh.0
-The Daily Show with John Stewart
-Colbert Report
-All the stand up ever seen on CC!

:lol: