Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tobarefeet
Topic Author

Willow TV question

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:24 am

I was signing up for Willow TV being a big cricket fan and when I went to the channel I noticed "Live" and "Upcoming". What I'm trying to figure out before paying $14.99 a month is if we get the replays and the archived matches from Willow the same as if you had the online & Dish Network subscription or only live matches with no replay or archived matches?
Under live it says "watch 24/7 Willow cricket channel".
Thanks for any help on this.

senorgregster

Re: Willow TV question

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:40 am

I guess I haven't had enough coffee yet. Is this a ROKU channel?

senorgregster

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:57 am

I see it now. A new channel. Excellent. I know a bunch of people who will love this.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:10 am

tobarefeet wrote:
I was signing up for Willow TV being a big cricket fan and when I went to the channel I noticed "Live" and "Upcoming". What I'm trying to figure out before paying $14.99 a month is if we get the replays and the archived matches from Willow the same as if you had the online & Dish Network subscription or only live matches with no replay or archived matches?

Perhaps you should send an email to the originator of the service... Just like you, none of us have ever used it, ya know, being new and all...

tobarefeet
Topic Author

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:24 am

stratcat96 wrote:
tobarefeet wrote:

Perhaps you should send an email to the originator of the service... Just like you, none of us have ever used it, ya know, being new and all...

Yeah, guess I will. I assumed that whoever created the channel would monitor the boards for a few days.

nrao1

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I just checked the out the channel.

Right now, the live channel is showing old replays (India in NZ). The latest 'Live' match per Willow TV's line up is on the 22nd. I can't find any option for viewing archived matches.

feed quality is good, but I just started to notice a periodic rebufferring.

tobarefeet
Topic Author

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:47 pm

nrao1 wrote:
I just checked the out the channel.

Right now, the live channel is showing old replays (India in NZ). The latest 'Live' match per Willow TV's line up is on the 22nd. I can't find any option for viewing archived matches.

feed quality is good, but I just started to notice a periodic rebufferring.

.ok, so that is telling me that the live channel isn't just live matches, that's good. The rebufferin, hmmm. Not so good. Not sure I want to pay $14.99 to find out it rebuffers often. Channels like these need to have a window of free viewing as $14.99 is a big ask.

mkiker2089

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:59 pm

tobarefeet wrote:
Channels like these need to have a window of free viewing as $14.99 is a big ask.

Agreed. If your content is good enough people will stay subscribed.

It's like something my father once said, sort of. Never pay for a catalog because if the stuff in the catalog is worth buying, they'll give it to you. That's still true today. Hulu and Netflix give free trials because they know you'll get hooked.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

TexasWildhorse

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:32 pm

I just found Willow TV today. I've been a subscriber to Willow's online offerings for about 6 months. On their web site, you can view archived matches on demand for the last two years (currently dating back to 2009 matches). On Roku, they are currently streaming the same feed they use on Dish Network, channel 582. You can view the schedule here: http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... hannel=582. This means you don't get to pick your archived matches - you just have to watch whatever they are streaming at the time. Still this is excellent for me, because I can DVR stuff according to their schedule of live matches; whereas, this was not possible using a browser. On another note, I've been watching the channel for several hours with no rebuffering and fairly good quality. Most of Willow's archived matches were not recorded in very high quality; therefore, you're only going to get limited quality. The live matches should (hopefully) be better, although buffering problems might be an issue if too many users are jumping on the feed.

tobarefeet
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:49 pm

TexasWildhorse wrote:
I just found Willow TV today. I've been a subscriber to Willow's online offerings for about 6 months. On their web site, you can view archived matches on demand for the last two years (currently dating back to 2009 matches). On Roku, they are currently streaming the same feed they use on Dish Network, channel 582. You can view the schedule here: http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... hannel=582. This means you don't get to pick your archived matches - you just have to watch whatever they are streaming at the time. Still this is excellent for me, because I can DVR stuff according to their schedule of live matches; whereas, this was not possible using a browser. On another note, I've been watching the channel for several hours with no rebuffering and fairly good quality. Most of Willow's archived matches were not recorded in very high quality; therefore, you're only going to get limited quality. The live matches should (hopefully) be better, although buffering problems might be an issue if too many users are jumping on the feed.

Thanks very much. That makes the decision easy. Not paying 14.99 a month to have no choice on archived matches and limited quality. I' guess I'll continue to bittorent matches I really want to watch.

nrao1

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 pm

[quote="TexasWildhorse"][/quote]

Are you getting 4 dots? WIll run a speedtest once I get back. I'm getting 3 dots and buffering about every 5 mins, I don't think it is my bandwidth, getting HD while watching 30 Rock on netflix. Wonder if willowtv might have different bandwidth requirements.

hackettt

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:10 pm

This is absolutely brilliant. A few day before the Ashes and what a surprise. I must admit how wonderful Willow TV is. They allow streaming to computers, the iphone and iPad and now to the Roku.

Now, if only England can win down under.

TexasWildhorse

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:18 pm

nrao1 wrote:
TexasWildhorse wrote:

Are you getting 4 dots? WIll run a speedtest once I get back. I'm getting 3 dots and buffering about every 5 mins, I don't think it is my bandwidth, getting HD while watching 30 Rock on netflix. Wonder if willowtv might have different bandwidth requirements.

I have been getting 3 dots and have started to experience some buffering since my last post. I have occassionally watched an hour or two without a single instance of buffering, but other times have had buffering every 5 or 10 min. I'm connected to a switch and will try connecting directly to my router to see if I can get 4 dots.

markwill

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:07 pm

The rebuffering seems to me to be a Ruko-specific. Here's why...

I just signed up and was absolutely delighted when I was able to watch the Ashes within about 3 mins of signing up for Willow.tv. So far so good. However, then I start getting rebuffering issues VERY regularly, on two levels. First, I get the rebuffering screen. But, worse, when it "recovers" it takes me back about 30 seconds in the programming. And to make it worse still, this is happening for me about every 2-3 minutes, if that. So, I see a score of something like 11/1 on TV - and 34/1 on my laptop because the TV version is getting further and further behind. Hardly live. I don't understand why rebuffering can't also get me back to live instead of just falling further behind live.

Why do I think this is specific to the Ruku implementation? Well, if I stop the TV version (can't stream from the laptop and the TV at the same time) I am always bang up to date, no rebuffering, on the laptop. And it stays that way and is very reliable. On the exact same Internet connection I get the aforementioned rebuffering on the Roku. In fact, the Roku has the advantage in that it's hard wired to my switch, whereas the laptop is wireless to that same router/switch.

To be honest, the frequency of the rebuffering and the fact that it ends up replaying the last 30 seconds (and getting further behind live) makes the experience on the Roku completely unwatchable. I'd be interested to know if there are investigations underway that might improve this situation.

Thanks.

Mark

hackettt

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Mark's reply is spot on.

The buffering issue is making Willow TV on the Roku unwatchable.

At first, I was unable to even get the test match to load as the channel kept turning off an returning back to the live matches screen. When it did finally load, I noticed the match was significantly behind the match I was just watching downstairs.

In addition, since Willow TV was only showing the Aussie broadcast, I had the volume down and was listening to Test Match Special on the Radio Five Live Extra. However, the buffering was causing the match to be almost a half an hour behind the live radio broadcast.

I hope this can taken care of on the Roku end. The match is playing just fine on the computer through Willow's web site and player.