Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jigripokri
Topic Author

Willow TV on Roku - what's the status?

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi, thanks for those of you who were posting about some streaming issues with Willow as of last week. I had postponed purchasing the subscription based on the responses here.

Have the rebuffering problems been fixed?

Thanks,
Jigri

markwill

Re: Willow TV on Roku - what's the status?

Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Nope. Still pretty bad, although not quite as poor as last week. Then again, I subscribed and thoroughly enjoy it on my PC which is fine. This rebuffering issue is only a factor on the Ruku.

Thanks.

Mark

RokuPatrick

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:55 am

Thanks for raising the issue, we are working with WillowTV to address.

hackettt

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:45 pm

The buffering issues were not as bad last night as they were during the first test, which seemed to occur once per over. However, when it does occur, it still send the stream back 10-15 seconds, which over a test match could have the stream considerably behind the live stream one could watch on a PC or Mac.

Another issue I would like to see discussed is the quality of the stream. I can only get three dots on the ROKU channel, whereas the computer stream seems much clearer.

However, with England taking 10 wickets on Day One, I cannot complain too much.

Cheers.

horizon

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I watched the 1st Adelaide game replay at 5am on Friday morning, over a 90 minute period the Roku stream buffered twice. Great! The Friday evening live game was a different matter - re-buffering was occurring faster than Cook was scoring runs ... Each re-buffer took up to 1 minute to complete, with a period of ~ one re-buffer / minute. I gave up trying to make sense of it all, and because England seemed to be on a roll, I turned off the telly and hit the sack.

The audio is still rubbish. The Aussie commentators sound like they are sitting in a baked bean can talking via a ship-to-shore radio telephone. The video is acceptable but comparatively poor, (Say a 1 dot Netflix equivalent) - I have been setting my TV to 4:3 aspect ratio which eliminates the horizontal stretch and makes it more visually appealing.

-Graham
Yeah I know, call me a whinging pommie :)
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)

horizon

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:35 pm

I just wanted to post an update because noticeable improvements have been made to the Roku Willow TV stream’s quality and reliability. This evening, while watching the live Ashes feed I noted:
  • There has been no re-buffering.
  • The picture is now displayed the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.
  • The audio quality has improved.
I assume that the improvements are likely to be the result of collaborative work between Willow and Roku. I would like to extend my thanks to those responsible.

-Graham
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)

hackettt

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:42 am

I would like to echo what Graham said; however, I don't know if anyone else noticed that the quality of the stream seemed lower through the Roku during the fourth day of the test?

It's still more desirable to watch the matches on the computer at this stage. The computer has both feeds (I prefer SkySports coverage), and the streams seem to be at a higher rate.

Timm

HarpoonIPA

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:52 pm

I just ordered it and it's looking good on my ROKU, my question is does Willow.TV ever put games in HD?

rusticitas

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:09 pm

I have had a horrible experience with Willow.tv.

BEFORE you sign up with them, be certain to VERY CAREFULLY read their Terms of Service and save or print a dated copy along with your receipt. They will automatically bill you every month, and require a minimum two months subscription plus there is a $5 termination fee. The quality of the video to the Roku player is horrible. Frequently the aspect ratio is off. It keeps dropping and rebuffering, so you keep seeing the same segments of the match over and over and over again. I have yet to get a response from their customer service email. You will be billed regardless of whether you are actually able to WATCH anything successfully or have a reasonable customer experience.

All-in-all, what I had *hoped* to be an enjoyable experience has turned out to be incredibly frustrating. And all soured by Willow.tv's billing practices and terms of service. It feels very adversarial, and I did not feel respected.

Just my $0.02 and my experience, for what it's worth.

HarpoonIPA

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:56 am

rusticitas wrote:
I have had a horrible experience with Willow.tv.

BEFORE you sign up with them, be certain to VERY CAREFULLY read their Terms of Service and save or print a dated copy along with your receipt. They will automatically bill you every month, and require a minimum two months subscription plus there is a $5 termination fee. The quality of the video to the Roku player is horrible. Frequently the aspect ratio is off. It keeps dropping and rebuffering, so you keep seeing the same segments of the match over and over and over again. I have yet to get a response from their customer service email. You will be billed regardless of whether you are actually able to WATCH anything successfully or have a reasonable customer experience.

All-in-all, what I had *hoped* to be an enjoyable experience has turned out to be incredibly frustrating. And all soured by Willow.tv's billing practices and terms of service. It feels very adversarial, and I did not feel respected.

Just my $0.02 and my experience, for what it's worth.

I hear what your saying, and I’m not happy with there service either and plan on canceling after my 2 months are up. I truly would keep it if it had more options on our ROKU with choosing past matches

nmovie

Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:39 am

I have not been able to see any streaming from willow using roku on my tv since this morning.
The retrieving blue bar goes 3/4th of the way and freezes there.
Any one else having the same problem?

TexasWildhorse

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:57 am

Last night at about 10 p.m. Central time, the Willow TV feed on Roku began rebuffering every 20 minutes or so, with occassional outages. I had to reconnect to it several times. This morning at about 8 a.m. Central time, the feed froze. When I try to connect, it shows the same 10 second segment over and over again - which I believe is cached on my local device. I think the feed is completely broken, and has been for about 4 hours now. It's a shame that nobody seems to care enough either at Roku or Willow TV to fix this stream in a timely manner when it breaks. I've e-mailed Willow TV but so far no response.

support

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Dear User,

We were aware about the problem and we have been working to solve this problem since it started. The problem had started on a couple of our CDN edge nodes. We have identified the issue there and replaced part of the cloud which was faulty. The feeds should be good now.

Regards,
Willow Support

nmovie

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Willow Support
Is there any thing that we can do to improve the picture quality of willow broadcast on roku?
Or is it something that has to be done at your end.

I can stream HD movies from Amazon and Netflix and they look fine so i guess the internet speed is not the issue here

Thanks

asc4

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 am

I am planning to buy the Roku device to watch world cup via Wilow TV on my TV.. can you please let me know if its worth it as some people are saying the willow app on Roku is buggy? Or Should i just watch willow tv through my PC?