Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vincec
Topic Author

Weather Underground

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:15 am

Has anyone figured out yet that if you press the select button while the on the radar or satellite tab it goes to full screen animation?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Weather Underground

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 am

Nice! The channel is so insanely sluggish on my box, I never would have found that if you hadn't mentioned it. After pressing select, it takes a good 10-15 seconds before the first image loads. Heck, it takes about 5 seconds for it just to switch tabs in the first place. Seems like it could definitely use some optimization.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

luckyman

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 am

Interesting.

CalvinMcGowan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:16 am

TheEndless wrote:
Nice! The channel is so insanely sluggish on my box, I never would have found that if you hadn't mentioned it. After pressing select, it takes a good 10-15 seconds before the first image loads. Heck, it takes about 5 seconds for it just to switch tabs in the first place. Seems like it could definitely use some optimization.

Like displaying the screen's background before displaying the data? Doing so won't actually make it load faster, but it will cause it to be perceived as loading faster. In spite of its cold-molasses response, I like the channel. Its layout is pleasing; well organized, not cluttered, easy on the eyes, easy to understand (however, a HELP screen wouldn't hurt). It quickly became one of my check-often channels.

DeftOne

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:56 am

This will be an excellent channel once they get it optimized (hopefully they can). As it stands now, it's just responsive enough to keep you interested, but severely annoyed. I look forward to seeing future updates.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps

CalvinMcGowan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:49 pm

DeftOne wrote:
This will be an excellent channel once they get it optimized (hopefully they can). As it stands now, it's just responsive enough to keep you interested, but severely annoyed. I look forward to seeing future updates.

Luckily, it's a channel you'll only spend about five minutes looking at and most times only once or twice a day.

TheEndless

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:55 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
DeftOne wrote:

Luckily, it's a channel you'll only spend about five minutes looking at and most times only once or twice a day.

The problem is, for four of those five minutes, you're waiting for the UI to paint and your button press to be recognized.. :P

EDIT: I just rebooted my box, and the channel seems a bit more responsive now, but a "Please Wait..." dialog or something would go a long way to help.
Last edited by TheEndless on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

CalvinMcGowan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 pm

TheEndless wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:
DeftOne wrote:

The problem is, for four of those five minutes, you're waiting for the UI to paint and your button press to be recognized.. :P

:lol: Oh, I wasn't trying to let them off the hook, I was "just saying."

CalvinMcGowan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:13 pm

TheEndless wrote:
EDIT: I just rebooted my box, and the channel seems a bit more responsive now, but a "Please Wait..." dialog or something would go a long way to help.

Following your lead, I did the same, but my results was the channel is still as turtle-ish as it was before the reboot.

TheEndless

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:42 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Following your lead, I did the same, but my results was the channel is still as turtle-ish as it was before the reboot.

Still turtle-ish on this end, too. But it was even moreso before the reboot. This is my dev box, so there's no telling what I might have done to it to slow it down.. ;)

vincec
Topic Author

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:33 pm

The radar display looks great except it is insufficient in picking up the lighter precipitaion. Compare the display to intellicast or any other radar display and you will see the difference. If they had a better radar source and in hi def, as this one appears to be, it would be awesome.

shelleyp

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:20 am

I found it to be a useful channel, especially since it didn't shove in ads, or charge us a dime.

And I was rather impressed at how it managed to shove so much functionality into one screen.

dellsweig

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:50 am

DeftOne wrote:

It would be nice to see if some more of the Weatherunderground content can get interated into this app..

I am a contributer to Weather Underground from my home weather station. I also have a Weaterhunderground account.

It would be nice to be able to enter my credentials for Weather Underground and take advantage of additional content. In addition, It would be nice to add (and store) zip code and have the choice between PWS and other weather input.

For those that have never seen what is available on WU - http://www.wunderground.com - put in your zip and enable features like PWS (personal weather stations, extremes, flight info, sports info, etc, etc, etc)
Going where the wind don't blow so strange