Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: [Private Channel] TV.com (No longer available)

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:12 pm

I think Garp gave the answer to that :p

The channel that must not be named is not officially support by Roku, and therefore any issues with it must be taken to the developers of the channel. Just be careful mentioning it on these forums. Although I've allowed some of the threads, they can also be locked the moment the channel is mentioned ... I'm largely basing one or the other on the content of the thread before making the decision.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Brotha

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:25 pm

onlinejd wrote:
Could we possible get another hint or something about "the channel not to be mentioned" so I can fix things for my wife?
Thanks a lot in advance.
tvdotcom was our most watched channel besides netflix.

google "pig latin"
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.

llvllatthews

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:17 pm

My post on cbs/tv.com's Forum and an email sent to them. As of yet I have recieved no response.

Hi all

I am not sure where people in this industry get their thoughts from, but I'm starting to think that the folks at CBS are getting their thoughts from the folks at the "low user ratings" dept. Now I understand that in the industry it takes money; most of it coming from advertisements that's just fact. But pulling TV.Com from roku sounds more like the kid on the playground who didn't get their way and now screams "well then you cant play with my toys".

Lets lay this out...

So what the wonderful folks at CBS are saying is, you cant watch their top shows unless you watch it on their channel on regular TV or by getting on your PC (which none of us pay for these channels). So what they mean to say is by no other reason than kick backs on money that roku refuses to pay them, they will not let their channel be added to the roku channel store.

CBS we don't pay you for the web channel or the TV channel. You get paid by advertisers who pay you to post their commercials and adds hoping it will entice us. You don't make the commercials they do. Seems to me you guys are getting a pretty good deal there.

Why is it you wont post your channel on Roku? Can you not display the same commercials you have on TV.Com? Is there some reason you want us to only view your channel on broadcast TV or on our computers? Granted I have a pretty big monitor but a lot of folks don't so watching on a PC kinda sucks for most.

I have recently removed cable/Satellite from my house and have switched to roku. The way of the future is this streaming media, and I'm on board. I believe that I shouldn't have to pay for the channels I don't want. If your looking for kick backs or money you could add a small monthly fee like hulu or netflix. I personally would pay just to watch NCIS/NCIS La and I'm sure my wife watches too so it would be worth it.

So as I close this post, I would like to state CBS I liked the way you moved towards the future of television; by including your top shows on line at CBS.com and TV.com, but you cant just stand still. The market and industry are still moving and growing with technology, its time you did too

NoSmokingBandit

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:33 pm

So I'm just going to do everything wrong here and be the new guys who bumps an old thread and asks something that might be frowned upon/ban-worthy.

Tv.com was a great app. Since it can't be installed via the Channel store or through a private channel code, would it still be possible to run the app if you could sideload it via the developer settings 'secret' menu? I understand that the Tv.com channel was not official, so perhaps the developer (whoever that might be) wouldn't mind throwing the source out into the wild?

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:49 pm

The developer was TheEndless, who will probably be along shortly...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:01 pm

NoSmokingBandit wrote:
So I'm just going to do everything wrong here and be the new guys who bumps an old thread and asks something that might be frowned upon/ban-worthy.

Tv.com was a great app. Since it can't be installed via the Channel store or through a private channel code, would it still be possible to run the app if you could sideload it via the developer settings 'secret' menu? I understand that the Tv.com channel was not official, so perhaps the developer (whoever that might be) wouldn't mind throwing the source out into the wild?

I received a formal request to pull the channel, nearly three years ago (May 2011). I will not be releasing the source code. Sorry...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)