Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

alatariel
Topic Author

setup was a nightmare!

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:40 am

I tried to set up my Roku last night, and it took me just over 2 02
ours of absolute nightmare. I wanted to set it up wirelessly, and it would NOT connect to my wireless network, no matter what I did. I finally was able to find some possible solutions here on the forum, connected it via ethernet cable, downloaded the firmware update, and then got stuck with it having "connection problems" until I did a hard reset, at which point it finally connected to my wireless network and is now working. So far.

I am very computer-savvy, and I'm generally the person my friends and employers call when they have something that needs to be connected or have computer issues. I can only imagine what the less-savvy person goes through in attempting to set this thing up! :evil: Roku can expect to have a lot of very unhappy people returning these things.

ApK

Re: setup was a nightmare!

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:40 am

Sorry you had a hard time.
In my case, I plugged in the Roku, manually entered my hidden SSID and and security key and was up and streaming in moments.

I agree with someone who posted in another thread that considering the variety in home network setups, it's amazing that the Roku works simply as often as it does.
Though in my opinion, because of that variety, I think it may have been a little overly-optimistic for Roku to ASSUME that it would be easy for the non-techy users. We are in same phase of home wireless networks as we were when AOL took dominance in the dial-up ISP space: Lots of people who have no idea how to use a fairly complex technology all of a sudden being given access to it.

I realize in your case you say you are tech savvy...I don't know what happened in your case, but the majority of set up issues I read about here are from users who have...well... a tenuous understanding of their network equipment at best.

For the sake of that group, if I were to design the Roku instruction sheet, it would have a big bold head line that said "IF THE FOLLOWING STEPS DO NOT WORK FOR YOU, DON'T PANIC! CALL THIS NUMBER FOR PERSONAL ASSISTANCE....."

maylea31

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:43 am

I had to reply because people keep saying their tech savvy so it must be rokus fault. I am not tech savvy, have an old router, I do have security on, and I got my roku up and running in less than 15 minutes. So., it is not necessarily the roku unit unless you got a bad one. So here is one non-tech savvy roku customer who is very happy.

stereobot

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:52 am

I also had a problem with set up.

I was able to set everything up using my WiFi network in minutes - it was quick and easy. But that was on the default 4:3 display mode. When I switched to 1080p the unit would SEE the WiFi network, but it would NOT connect to it. I tried power cycling everything and doing factory resets on the Roku box, I also spent about 2 hours trouble shooting. I am using the most recent firmware release (2.9).

alatariel - I wouldn't feel too bad, this is obviously a firmware bug, a major one at that. It isn't user error.

I'm still waiting for a solution from a Roku rep otherwise I will be forced to return the unit, which I would hate to do since Apple TV doesn't support 1080p. Although if I can't use my Roku box on my wireless network on the 1080p display mode, it is a $99 plastic brick.

This is something Roku should be scrambling to fix. It isn't like I am using an obscure router or anything. After troubleshooting it is clear that the problem is with the Roku device's ability to connect to my network on the 1080p or 720p display mode.

It is frustrating that I'm getting solutions from other Roku users (which I do appreciate) instead of Roku reps. We are going on 2011, Roku is going to be destroyed by Apple if they can't even support their products.

I understand that a good number of people are probably not experiencing problems. But without knowing what kind of set up these people are using then comments like the one from mylea23 do not help. Maybe I do just have a defective Roku box, but considering that my issue is one that is experienced by many, it seems much more likely it is a firmware issue instead of a hardware issue.

ApK

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:03 am

maylea31 wrote:
I had to reply because people keep saying their tech savvy so it must be rokus fault. I am not tech savvy, have an old router, I do have security on, and I got my roku up and running in less than 15 minutes. So., it is not necessarily the roku unit unless you got a bad one. So here is one non-tech savvy roku customer who is very happy.

From reports here, even aside from genuine bugs, which I'm certain exist in the product, there are various router and firewall configurations that can cause problems with even a properly working device. I can see users who are in those situations, even if it's only a tiny percentage of all users, getting frustrated, especially if they had no problems setting up their computers, which they feel should be a lot more complex than an 'appliance' that says it should be set up in moments.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:50 am

The problem really boils down to the wireless routers/AP's out there..

There are hundreds of home router models out there that can be configured hundreds of different ways. There's no way Roku can catch evey single configuration or router brand issue out there.

I had a similar problem with one of my cell phones not working with my old wifi router. Eventually I got a different router. Can't blame the hardware manufacturor all the time for thousands of variables.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

vmps

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:15 am

stereobot wrote:
This is something Roku should be scrambling to fix. It isn't like I am using an obscure router or anything. After troubleshooting it is clear that the problem is with the Roku device's ability to connect to my network on the 1080p or 720p display mode.

The whole rest of the post you never mentioned 720p. Have you actually tried using it that way? (I.e., just forget 1080p for now--there's no content anyway--and just see how it works at 720?)

chris0071

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:21 pm

stereobot wrote:

I was able to set everything up using my WiFi network in minutes - it was quick and easy. But that was on the default 4:3 display mode. When I switched to 1080p the unit would SEE the WiFi network, but it would NOT connect to it. I tried power cycling everything and doing factory resets on the Roku box, I also spent about 2 hours trouble shooting. I am using the most recent firmware release (2.9).

alatariel - I wouldn't feel too bad, this is obviously a firmware bug, a major one at that. It isn't user error.

I'm still waiting for a solution from a Roku rep otherwise I will be forced to return the unit, which I would hate to do since Apple TV doesn't support 1080p. Although if I can't use my Roku box on my wireless network on the 1080p display mode, it is a $99 plastic brick.

It is frustrating that I'm getting solutions from other Roku users (which I do appreciate) instead of Roku reps. We are going on 2011, Roku is going to be destroyed by Apple if they can't even support their products.

I understand that a good number of people are probably not experiencing problems. But without knowing what kind of set up these people are using then comments like the one from mylea23 do not help. Maybe I do just have a defective Roku box, but considering that my issue is one that is experienced by many, it seems much more likely it is a firmware issue instead of a hardware issue.

My guess would be that it is one of a couple of issues:

It could be your internet provider throttling your download speed so that it cannot consistently support the HD stream you want.

It could be that your router is not 100% tested and compatible with the Roku.

It could be that security settings are not allowing the Roku to operate as it is designed to do.

It could be that the Roku is too far away from the router to get the signal strength required to handle HD.

I run an older Linksys router and RoadRunner, and get consistent HD (720p) on my Roku. I am connected wirelessly, and both units are upstairs, while my wireless router is downstairs in a central location in my house. I switched my DNS to OpenDNS. That's it. My 1st Roku took about 10 minutes to set up, but it needed to download an update, and I had a slower connection at that time. My latest one took about 4 or 5 minutes to set up. Both worked, as expected, out of the box.

If I had to make one suggestion to people looking for assistance here it would be to give as much information as is possible about your setup. ISP, if you have changed DNS, what make and model router, how it is connected, how many other devices are on the same internet connection, how many devices are accessing and downloading from the internet at the same time, what connection speed your internet provides, whether or not you have tested your internet speed, etc.

I do wish that Roku could write an app that would run a diagnostic test between their servers and the Roku unit that would let people know, in plain English, what seems to be going on when there is a problem. That might help diagnose connection problems better than a user posting different data on the forum every time.

Just a few random ideas.

stereobot

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:38 pm

chris0071 wrote:
stereobot wrote:

My guess would be that it is one of a couple of issues:

It could be your internet provider throttling your download speed so that it cannot consistently support the HD stream you want.

It could be that your router is not 100% tested and compatible with the Roku.

It could be that security settings are not allowing the Roku to operate as it is designed to do.

It could be that the Roku is too far away from the router to get the signal strength required to handle HD.

I run an older Linksys router and RoadRunner, and get consistent HD (720p) on my Roku. I am connected wirelessly, and both units are upstairs, while my wireless router is downstairs in a central location in my house. I switched my DNS to OpenDNS. That's it. My 1st Roku took about 10 minutes to set up, but it needed to download an update, and I had a slower connection at that time. My latest one took about 4 or 5 minutes to set up. Both worked, as expected, out of the box.

If I had to make one suggestion to people looking for assistance here it would be to give as much information as is possible about your setup. ISP, if you have changed DNS, what make and model router, how it is connected, how many other devices are on the same internet connection, how many devices are accessing and downloading from the internet at the same time, what connection speed your internet provides, whether or not you have tested your internet speed, etc.

I do wish that Roku could write an app that would run a diagnostic test between their servers and the Roku unit that would let people know, in plain English, what seems to be going on when there is a problem. That might help diagnose connection problems better than a user posting different data on the forum every time.

Just a few random ideas.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did add the Static DNS setting to my Linksys 54G router. I am using Comcast as an ISP. It is a very common router, although the exact model I don't remember off the top of my head. Currently the router is only 5 feet away from the Roku box. The wireless network works flawlessly on the 4:3 display setting, it only fails when I reset to the 1080p display setting. Even after waiting 24 hours and retrying, same issue. So I know my network is OK unless there is an unspecified network setting that is needed for the XD|s unit to work with it while on 1080p setting (whether this is unintentional or not).

One possibility is I just have a defective XD|S unit but I have seen a few other posts around here with people having the exact same problem I am, so maybe there was a bad batch, or maybe the firmware just has some bugs.

At this point, there is no way Comcast would be causing my network connection between my Roku device and router to fail (actually, it sees and connects to the router, it just can't use the signal). But a LOT of people use Comcast, so I'm confident that isn't the problem either.

chris0071

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:02 pm

I do know that 1080p for Roku was just released recently, so maybe it's not yet 100% troubleshot. Also, I don't know how it displays when there isn't 1080p content available?

Can you get 720p content to stream correctly? Also, how fast is your internet connection?

stereobot

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:16 pm

chris0071 wrote:
I do know that 1080p for Roku was just released recently, so maybe it's not yet 100% troubleshot. Also, I don't know how it displays when there isn't 1080p content available?

Can you get 720p content to stream correctly? Also, how fast is your internet connection?

Thanks again, Chris.

The 720p option doesn't work either. Something happens when the device resets from 4:3 to 720p or 1080p. I see the 2.9 version firmware was just released on 12/10 so if it has bugs I wouldn't be surprised, nothing against Roku, patches for things often have bugs. I do have MAC filtering DISABLED.

My internet connection is over 6 MBPS, actually I think it might be 12+. I do some gaming online with my PC, i've never had a connection issue while gaming or steaming any other media.

If the XD|S uses separate hardware for accessing the wireless signal while on HD mode vs. the 4:3 mode I would think maybe I have a defective unit. So far I am still awaiting a response from a support ticket I put in 5 hours ago. RokuJamesL, a Roku QA Engineer responded to a PM I sent him but he wouldn't even consider the possibility that there is a firmware bug, he said I was the only person he knew of that had this problem. In my 2 days of visiting this forum I counted around 5 very similar problems, so I don't know if he is avoiding the issue or blowing me off or is truly not paying attention to the forum. However, he did say he was going to check to see if there was a bad batch of Roku devices that had problems in the same lot as mine (I have him the serial #), so I'm hoping he will come through with a solution, even if he isn't a support person.

jackstrat

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:28 pm

For the record, I just received the Roku XD/S and set it up during my lunch break. Took all of 10-15 minutes, including waiting for the new software to download. I run a secure wireless network using a Netgear router. Within that time I also added a bunch of public/private channels. I was very impressed by the simplicity of the setup. Just with the Netflix streaming content was better...

RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Whoa, wait a minute here. Where did you get this notion that you are being blow off. If there is a problem, we'll attempt to fix it through a firmware release, however, can we at least spend some time investigating this? You've sent me your serial number. I have an engineer going to to look at the logs and the issue is being circulated internally.

stereobot

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:03 pm

RokuJamesL wrote:
Whoa, wait a minute here. Where did you get this notion that you are being blow off. If there is a problem, we'll attempt to fix it through a firmware release, however, can we at least spend some time investigating this? You've sent me your serial number. I have an engineer going to to look at the logs and the issue is being circulated internally.

You said in you message to me "As far as I know, you are the only person who seems to be having this problem. It's never come up in three months of beta testing with over 300 outside users. Could it be a defective unit? It's possible, although quite unusual."

I found that strange since I have seen quite a few similar forum posts, I got the impression that you didn't want to acknowledge it being a possible software issue - I'm not saying this is true, it was just what I was thinking.

But I shouldn't have indicated you were blowing me off. I thought I was clear in my post that you are looking into the issue but I could have chosen my words with a bit better. I honestly do appreciate your help, James, my initial impression your response to me indicated that you were very doubtful the problem was with the Roku unit or the firmware.

I apologize for throwing you under the bus. It wasn't fair to you especially when you are trying o help. Let's move on and find a solution, which I am aware can take some time, my concern is that I miss my window to return the unit if I have to if it comes down to that.
Last edited by stereobot on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 pm

stereobot wrote:
chris0071 wrote:

Thanks again, Chris.

The 720p option doesn't work either. Something happens when the device resets from 4:3 to 720p or 1080p. I see the 2.9 version firmware was just released on 12/10 so if it has bugs I wouldn't be surprised, nothing against Roku, patches for things often have bugs. I do have MAC filtering DISABLED.

My internet connection is over 6 MBPS, actually I think it might be 12+. I do some gaming online with my PC, i've never had a connection issue while gaming or steaming any other media.

If the XD|S uses separate hardware for accessing the wireless signal while on HD mode vs. the 4:3 mode I would think maybe I have a defective unit. So far I am still awaiting a response from a support ticket I put in 5 hours ago. RokuJamesL, a Roku QA Engineer responded to a PM I sent him but he wouldn't even consider the possibility that there is a firmware bug, he said I was the only person he knew of that had this problem. In my 2 days of visiting this forum I counted around 5 very similar problems, so I don't know if he is avoiding the issue or blowing me off or is truly not paying attention to the forum. However, he did say he was going to check to see if there was a bad batch of Roku devices that had problems in the same lot as mine (I have him the serial #), so I'm hoping he will come through with a solution, even if he isn't a support person.

way to garner good will ;)