Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Redflea
Topic Author

XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:49 pm

I've gotten some conflicting feedback on this issue in a couple of threads here, so I'm starting a new thread to try to clear this up a little.

I have a new XD, and have found that it is full at 28-30 channels, depending on what channels I have installed. I've not been able to get more than 30.

There was a post on another thread saying that XD owners can fit as many as 70 channels. Even if I have happened to choose a few of the "fatter" channels, the difference between what I'm getting (~30) and 70 is pretty extreme, making me wonder what's up. Either something is off with my box and I need to do a reset and start over, or the 70 comment was too optimistic, and 30 (or so) is the best the Roku can do at this point.

I'd really appreciate it if other XD owners can post how many channels they are able to install on their box...

Thanks.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:59 pm

I tested my XDS and successfully installed 69 channels before getting the "out of memory" message on the 70th one.. I'm under the impression that the XD has the same amount of memory but, from your experience, that may/must be wrong.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Redflea
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks...if that's true that the XD has less memory I'll be making a return and getting the XDS.

Can anyone from Roku confirm? In the differences listed between the two I never saw any mention of memory, only the USB port and additional outputs that the XDS has (which I had no need for).

Redflea
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:53 pm

http://www.roku.com/roku-products?gclid ... odVl97oA#2

Just checked above, and there is no mention of memory at all on the Roku comparison chart...

jhernes

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:01 pm

So far I only have 13 Channels installed and some of them I barely used....
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

Village Idiot

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I have 36 and its working. When i had 39 i had a lot of problems.
I think it also depends on the channels.
Clock/screen saver probably isn't taking up much juice as would a major channels with a lot of sub folders in it.
I recommending adding what you need/want most first.
Then slowly add the other channels you want in.

kc8pql

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Redflea wrote:
Thanks...if that's true that the XD has less memory I'll be making a return and getting the XDS.

Note that Roku has said that a fix is in the works that will allow an unlimited number of installed channels on all the boxes. No specific time frame was given, but they rarely do that anyway.
They do however always come through with what they say they will.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Redflea
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Redflea wrote:

Note that Roku has said that a fix is in the works that will allow an unlimited number of installed channels on all the boxes. No specific time frame was given, but they rarely do that anyway.
They do however always come through with what they say they will.

Yeah, I've seen discussion of that, but haven't seen the post where that was promised...I'm hopeful they will deliver on that promise and sure that they have good intentions, but I'm more of a bird in the hand kinda guy. :) I'd still like to know if there is a memory difference between the XD and XDS, if Roku sees this and can respond that would be helpful.

I may do a factory reset on my Roku - not interested in re-doing a bunch of channel setups, but wondering if that would free up some memory that may have not been recovered for some reason.

kc8pql

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Redflea wrote:

Yeah, I've seen discussion of that, but haven't seen the post where that was promised...

Here's one. There have been several.
RokuJon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:32 pm
The channel count limit and having an improved way to organize channels is absolutely on our list of features to address.

We agree that the current limitations and ability to navigate the number of existing channels, let alone the new channels being added weekly, is in need of attention.

Please stay tuned.

The "organizing channels" problem has already been addressed.

Redflea
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Redflea wrote:

Yeah, I've seen discussion of that, but haven't seen the post where that was promised...

The channel count limit and having an improved way to organize channels is absolutely on our list of features to address.

We agree that the current limitations and ability to navigate the number of existing channels, let alone the new channels being added weekly, is in need of attention.

Please stay tuned.

Thanks for the quotes...hopefully they will have good news for us early in the new year.

How has the organizing problem been addressed? I know I can change the order of channels on my home screen...are there any other options I'm not available of? (I'd like an option to sort them based on usage frequency, or by content category, etc, or view my home screen w/multiple rows rather than one long single row, and hope options like that will come in the future.)

jhernes

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 am

Redflea wrote:
I'd like an option to sort them based on usage frequency, or by content category, etc, or view my home screen w/multiple rows rather than one long single row, and hope options like that will come in the future.)

Close enough...but consider it done. :roll:
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

Village Idiot

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:45 am

Redflea wrote:
How has the organizing problem been addressed? I know I can change the order of channels on my home screen...are there any other options I'm not available of? (I'd like an option to sort them based on usage frequency, or by content category, etc, or view my home screen w/multiple rows rather than one long single row, and hope options like that will come in the future.)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29075&p=181214&hilit=tier#p181214
Redflea click the link and scroll to the 5th post.
Its a brilliant idea for a roku tier system.
Often the best suggestions are overlooked. VI

Redflea
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Redflea wrote:

It is good that you can recognize your own brilliance... ;-)

Wish someone from Roku would chime in on the memory question...

jhernes

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Redflea wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
Redflea wrote:

It is good that you can recognize your own brilliance... ;-)

Wish someone from Roku would chime in on the memory question...

Yeah! right...not a chance. :lol:

samwyse

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:00 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Redflea wrote:

Please stay tuned.

I vote for something like PodTV, http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/