Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:00 pm

samwyse wrote:

I vote for something like PodTV, http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

Given the fact that Nowhereman (RokuChris) works for Roku, you may be onto something there.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Sat May 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Redflea wrote:
Thanks...if that's true that the XD has less memory I'll be making a return and getting the XDS.

Can anyone from Roku confirm? In the differences listed between the two I never saw any mention of memory, only the USB port and additional outputs that the XDS has (which I had no need for).


No, they haven't published information on ram and flash, probably so there will be no "size comparisons" to other devices. From tear-downs however now i can state that XDS has 4 times more flash memory than HD and XD (HD and XD have the same).
 
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth
Contact:

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Sat May 28, 2011 2:00 pm

EnTerr wrote:
Redflea wrote:
Thanks...if that's true that the XD has less memory I'll be making a return and getting the XDS.

Can anyone from Roku confirm? In the differences listed between the two I never saw any mention of memory, only the USB port and additional outputs that the XDS has (which I had no need for).


No, they haven't published information on ram and flash, probably so there will be no "size comparisons" to other devices. From tear-downs however now i can state that XDS has 4 times more flash memory than HD and XD (HD and XD have the same).



I absolutely HATE "size comparisons" :oops: Haven't they heard it just doesn't matter :wink:
 
Buckeye911
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Sat May 28, 2011 2:40 pm

I've been told that the channel capacity is the same for the XD and the XDS but this is definitely not the case for me. I get 27-30 channels on my XD and at present I have 45 on my XDS which has not reached it's capacity.
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Sat May 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Old thread, guys and gals :).

Please treat accordingly.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Sat May 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:
I've been told that the channel capacity is the same for the XD and the XDS...

It's the XR (the older model with the USB port) and the XDS.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Sat May 28, 2011 3:19 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Old thread, guys and gals :).
Please treat accordingly.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith


Actually the thread is exactly 5mo old today. Your "stickie" asks "In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.". Would you rather have me start a new thread?
 
Village Idiot
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Mon May 30, 2011 11:03 am

kc8pql wrote:
Buckeye911 wrote:
I've been told that the channel capacity is the same for the XD and the XDS...

It's the XR (the older model with the USB port) and the XDS.

i thought all the boxes had the same meory.
and that the size of the channels really made the difference as to how many you could fit on your box.
Not all channels are the same size.
ANYWAY
I have the XR which has all the connection options in the back of the box.
The newer ones do not :?
i like having all the options in case i ever use different tv's that connect differently.
Why can't roku go back to the way XR is and give every new box every connection possibility :?:
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Mon May 30, 2011 11:08 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Why can't roku go back to the way XR is and give every new box every connection possibility :?:


Cost and space, most likely. Extra internals make for bigger boxes, and more expensive ones. Plus the majority of people are connecting via composite (Red-White-Yellow) or HDMI - most TVs, old and new, have one or the other.
 
Village Idiot
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: XD Owners - how many channels fit on your Roku?

Mon May 30, 2011 1:37 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
Why can't roku go back to the way XR is and give every new box every connection possibility :?:


Cost and space, most likely. Extra internals make for bigger boxes, and more expensive ones. Plus the majority of people are connecting via composite (Red-White-Yellow) or HDMI - most TVs, old and new, have one or the other.


Well i'll give you the 1080p would make it cost more.
But the USB port and the enhanced remote should be standard in all boxes.
Serious USB is the norm on anything these days. To leave it out is a deal breaker.
As for size i doubt anyone would think a few more inches really matters.
It would still be smaller then a DVD player. At least smaller then mine.
If you want to stay ahead of the pack you always have to give more then the other guys give.
Cost is a factor but options are what drives sales. At least for me.
I always look to see what the product can do for me then i look at the price.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blade_005, denhow, robertkay008 and 43 guests