Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Phil65
Topic Author

Big time help needed

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:25 pm

This is impossible to summarize, since I don't know anything about any of this, and I have messed with settings that I shouldn't have. I now cannot link my Roku to my D-Link wireless router. I have cycled the power on my Roku and every time it boots up to the setup screen, but I can never get anywhere with it, since it just says "activation issue" and I'm stuck in an endless loop. I de-linked my player in my online Roku settings so I could relink it, but now it won't give me a link code.

I apologize if none of this makes sense. I just need some very basic coaching, step by step. I did a live chat with a Roku support person who was useless, and I think frankly just wanted to get rid of me. Someone who is willing to explain things very slowly and simply can help me if they so choose. Thanks.

kumasuki

Re: Big time help needed

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:34 pm

To get back to the original factory settings you should do a hard reset: 1) disconnect all cables from the Roku except power (have it plugged in); 2) using an unbent paperclip or toothpick press and hold the reset button for 30+ seconds; 3) while still pressing reset, pull the power cord; 4) re-connect everything and try again.

While your doing the above, it would also be a good idea to turn off both you modem and router - then turn the modem back on first (wait a few minutes) and then turn on the router. (now plug in the Roku).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

dgrace

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Did you mess with router settings? If not, you are still accessing the internet fine? We should verify what's working and work towards the Roku.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

Phil65
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Tried all of the above, it boots up directly to setup, cannot connect to my local network. I really am stuck in an endless loop here. I should add that this system was working perfectly until today. Something has changed, either in my computer settings or my router settings, but I wouldn't know how to change any of that. I am on a Mac if that helps.

Phil65
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Did you mess with router settings? If not, you are still accessing the internet fine?

Yes, I'm on the internet. My modem obviously works. I can access router settings online if that helps.

kumasuki

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Phil65 wrote:
Tried all of the above, it boots up directly to setup, cannot connect to my local network. I really am stuck in an endless loop here. I should add that this system was working perfectly until today. Something has changed, either in my computer settings or my router settings, but I wouldn't know how to change any of that. I am on a Mac if that helps.

The next most effective step for troubleshooting is to use an ethernet cable to connect the Roku directly to the router - this quite often enables the Roku to complete the setup procedures. Once everything is working again you can go back to wireless.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

Phil65
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:51 pm

kumasuki wrote:
Phil65 wrote:

The next most effective step for troubleshooting is to use an ethernet cable to connect the Roku directly to the router - this quite often enables the Roku to complete the setup procedures. Once everything is working again you can go back to wireless.

Don't have that option. Computer and TV are too far away from each other.

kumasuki

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Phil65 wrote:
Don't have that option. Computer and TV are too far away from each other.

A lot of hassle can be avoided by a temporary direct link to the router (even borrowing a small TV just to get thru setup).
There are various wireless settings that can be checked using a browser to access the D-Link. Often selecting WIFI channel 6 will get the Roku past the "cannot connect to local network" step.

Phil65
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Okay, I'm back in business. Contacted D-Link people, they just had me go online and rename my wireless network. That's all we did. Now everything works. I remain utterly mystified why anything changed in the first place. This better not be a regular occurrence, because I just can't go through this on a regular basis. Anything to do with networking or any of that stuff is a complete mystery to me.

I have to say that Roku chat support was awful. Maybe I just got someone really bad, but it was like a comedy skit, with him asking me the same questions over and over and going in circles for an hour. Probably just some guy sitting at home on New Year's Day watching football. Thanks as usual to all the helpful people on this forum who don't mind stupid questions.

kumasuki

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Phil65 wrote:
Okay, I'm back in business. Contacted D-Link people, they just had me go online and rename my wireless network. That's all we did.

Out of curiosity - had you ever given the wireless network a name when you first set it up? or was it just using the 'default' name it came with until now?

Phil65
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:09 pm

kumasuki wrote:
Phil65 wrote:
Okay, I'm back in business. Contacted D-Link people, they just had me go online and rename my wireless network. That's all we did.

Out of curiosity - had you ever given the wireless network a name when you first set it up? or was it just using the 'default' name it came with until now?

It was the default name, "dlink". Like I said, I don't even know enough to be dangerous--I wouldn't know how to go about changing my settings without help. This was just weird.

But at least I'm up and running again. Thanks.

kumasuki

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Phil65 wrote:
It was the default name, "dlink". Like I said, I don't even know enough to be dangerous--I wouldn't know how to go about changing my settings without help. This was just weird.

That explains a lot - it's quite likely someone else near enough to you recently installed a Dlink router and also kept the 'default' name and that lead to a clash so to speak. It's generally recommended to have a unique name for your wireless - so it's unlikely this situation will re-occur. You were fortunate to get Dlink support on a holiday and to have them suggest re-naming before messing around with a lot of other settings!

Phil65
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:33 pm

kumasuki wrote:
Phil65 wrote:

That explains a lot - it's quite likely someone else near enough to you recently installed a Dlink router and also kept the 'default' name and that lead to a clash so to speak. It's generally recommended to have a unique name for your wireless - so it's unlikely this situation will re-occur. You were fortunate to get Dlink support on a holiday and to have them suggest re-naming before messing around with a lot of other settings!

Yes indeed, that was lucky. Otherwise, no Roku for me on a holiday weekend.

If you're still around, another question: I have my Roku set for a forced bitrate of 2.5. This has been working very well for me, and the quality is excellent, no rebuffering. But after today's difficulties, it now takes forever for Netflix to retrieve movies. Before, I waited an average of 2 minutes for retrieval, and that's for HD-quality movies. Now, the wait is absurdly long, 10-15 minutes on average. What's changed?

kumasuki

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Phil65 wrote:
If you're still around, another question: I have my Roku set for a forced bitrate of 2.5. This has been working very well for me, and the quality is excellent, no rebuffering. But after today's difficulties, it now takes forever for Netflix to retrieve movies. Before, I waited an average of 2 minutes for retrieval, and that's for HD-quality movies. Now, the wait is absurdly long, 10-15 minutes on average. What's changed?

You presumably used the 'hidden screen' to force the bitrate? - anything adjusted that way will no longer be in effect if the Roku is reset to factory defaults, have you tried going back add re-adjusting it again?

Phil65
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:48 pm

kumasuki wrote:
Phil65 wrote:

You presumably used the 'hidden screen' to force the bitrate? - anything adjusted that way will no longer be in effect if the Roku is reset to factory defaults, have you tried going back add re-adjusting it again?

Yes, I did the hidden screen trick. I tried it with factory defaults and of course everything retrieves very quickly, since it is setting its own (lousy) bitrate. So I forced it to 2.5, which as I said, had been working well for me previously. I was watching very high quality HD movies and they only took 2 minutes to buffer, then played through with no problems. As of right now, I have been retrieving an HD movie for about 20 minutes, and it is just now starting to play as I type this. Again, quality is beautiful, no issue with playback, just painfully long retrieval times.