Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Baileydog
Topic Author

Occasional "audio not supported" error

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

We have the high speed wireless hd roku box connected to our Sony tv by hdmi, and every now and again the audio simply won't work and we get an "audio not supported, check your device output" error message. Video always works fine, and the problem is only occasional and seems to resolve itself after several restarts, but it drives us crazy when we sit down to watch a movie and it happens (like tonight!). I searched the forum and the roku FAQ but did not see anything addressing this exact issue. Anybody else have this issue or know how to resolve it?? Thanks in advance for your help...

shelleye

Re: Occasional "audio not supported" error

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:39 pm

We have just started having this problem, after moving our roku player from a Toshiba tv to a sony. The roku player has worked without a hiccup for two years, and now that we're attached to the sony, it loses audio pretty regularly. We reboot a couple times and switch the hdmi input, and it comes back, but it's a drag. Nobody else has had this error? Did you (Baileydog) ever get it fixed? Roku guys? Any thoughts?

mauiman

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:08 am

This problem drove me crazy for months before I figured out you have to turn the TV on first.....and about 5 seconds later, turn the Roku on.
If not, you need to power down the Sony, then power it back up again.
I'm still waiting for Roku to get back to me on a service ticket I filled out nearly a year ago now regarding this problem.
I did get an e-mail from them once many many months ago asking if the problem had been resolved, to which I replied no it had not.
Since then...............crickets.

shelleye

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:58 pm

mauiman wrote:
you have to turn the TV on first.....and about 5 seconds later, turn the Roku on

Seriously? Because as far as I know, Roku is on all the time-- does this mean you leave it unplugged, and then when you want to watch, you turn on the tv and then plug in the Roku? :shock:

atheling

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:36 pm

shelleye wrote:
mauiman wrote:
you have to turn the TV on first.....and about 5 seconds later, turn the Roku on

Seriously? Because as far as I know, Roku is on all the time-- does this mean you leave it unplugged, and then when you want to watch, you turn on the tv and then plug in the Roku? :shock:

Maybe he does it like I do: TV and Roku are plugged into a plug strip that I turn off when not watching TV. I have a compulsive thing about "phantom" electrical loads... The Tivo is not on that plug strip because it does need to be on at all times to record shows, but everything else in that cabinet is on the plug strip (AVR, DVD player, etc.).

Sorry about the OT post. I haven't had that particular problem with my Roku2 XS.

shelleye

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Right. Should have thought of that. Probably should do something like that, to save the planet.

Roku guys? Can it be that only two of us have this issue? (Weirdly, I have three Sony tv's, all hooked up to Roku, and only one of them (the oldest) gives me trouble. Same Roku on other tvs works fine.)

josulliv

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm

I have the same problem. My setup is a Roku 1 XDS connected via HDMI to a Sony 52" Bravia XDR TV.

Occasionally, I'll get the "audio not supported" problem. To "fix" it, I just switch to a different input (say, my satellite player) and then switch back to the Roku HDMI input, and it will work. A bit of a nuisance...

Sounds like it's a problem with either Roku's or Sony's HDMI implementation.

mauiman

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 pm

atheling wrote:
shelleye wrote:
mauiman wrote:

Maybe he does it like I do: TV and Roku are plugged into a plug strip that I turn off when not watching TV. I have a compulsive thing about "phantom" electrical loads... The Tivo is not on that plug strip because it does need to be on at all times to record shows, but everything else in that cabinet is on the plug strip (AVR, DVD player, etc.).

Sorry about the OT post. I haven't had that particular problem with my Roku2 XS.

No, it means what it said. Your Roku never turns all the way off, but it does go into a sleep, or standby mode. At that time, I do not believe it outputs anything via HDMI.
If you turn the Roku on to active mode prior to letting the TV turn on, you get the "Unsupported audio" message on my Sony TV.

hozedhead

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:07 pm

mauiman wrote:
No, it means what it said. Your Roku never turns all the way off, but it does go into a sleep, or standby mode. At that time, I do not believe it outputs anything via HDMI.
If you turn the Roku on to active mode prior to letting the TV turn on, you get the "Unsupported audio" message on my Sony TV.

Doesn't the screensaver come through HDMI?
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10