Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lcharlesjr
Topic Author

TV power cycles when browsing Roku

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 am

HI all,
THE PROBLEM: when browsing through Roku doing things like going through the channel store and adding channels my TV will abruptly experience a power cycle. It is not the Roku box that is cycling because when the screen reappears I get my TV's boot screen with logo and then once that is back I am immediately where I was with the Roku screen. I never see the Roku "loading" screen that is typical when you reset/restart the Roku. I have only watched one movie on Netflix so far and I was able to watch the whole way through without this happening.

THE DETAILS: I just received a Roku XD last evening and connected it to my 42" Element LCD HDTV using HDMI. I selected the 1080p display setting in Roku but the problem I am about to describe occurs even when I change to SD settings. There are 3 HDMI ports on my TV; all occupied and the problem persists even if I change ports. However, I have never had this problem before when using other units (cable box and DVD system) on HDMI1 and HDMI2. Even when I remove the other two HDMI residents and only connect the Roku I have this problem.

I called tech support and they had me hit the reset in the back of Roku which didn't help the problem. I reversed the HDMI plugs so that the end that was plugged into the TV was relocated to the Roku and vice versa. Still no help. I tried moveing to different HDMI ports to no avail. I then switched to the component A/V cables and the problem seemed to stop but the resolution is so much worse than HDMI. I mean, what's the point of having HDTV if not to utilize this feature.

I am very concerned that this repeated behavior may have some impact on my TV :/ I'm beginning to become very wary of browsing Roku and it hasn't even been 24 hrs.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any other information I could add to make things clearer.

Thank you all in advance.

cwniles

Re: TV power cycles when browsing Roku

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 am

hmmm, I suppose it could just be a coincidence, but reading the reviews for your display returns many, many reports of that specific display having problems with turning itself on and off as well as being very slow to process.

Not saying the Roku is not the cause of the problem but I am saying that your display seems to have a history with the problems you are describing.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

lcharlesjr
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the info. But I also for got to mention that if I have the Roku on just on the home page or in the channel store and I don't touch anything I won't get the TV reboot. It's only when I'm actively scrolling etc. I've never experienced this with this TV before but based on your comment I will look on the TV side as well.

Yes, the TV is generally slower in power up and input switches...that part I agree with.
Thanks!

techmonkey

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 am

Have you had this TV for a while?

Unfortunately as the previous poster said looks like a few people have had this exact same problem with this or similar Elements TV's. From reading some reviews it sounds like the TV might not have the best processor and just is doing just that, not able to "process" when the ROKU is changing screens.
1 ROKU HD-XR 2 ROKU XDS's

lcharlesjr
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 am

Techmonkey, I've had the TV since Aug. 2010 and I've never seen it act like this before using Roku on it. Like you said though Roku just may be overwhelming the processor :(

This is sad. Is there anything I could possibly do to try and remedy this?

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:28 am

lcharlesjr wrote:
I then switched to the component A/V cables and the problem seemed to stop but the resolution is so much worse than HDMI. I mean, what's the point of having HDTV if not to utilize this feature.
If you were using Component (and not composite) connections, then the picture quality ought to have been comparable to the hdmi connection. Even on larger sets than yours, most people can't distinguish any quality loss at all using component vs. hdmi. Did you change your Roku display settings back to 720 or 1080 (from the troubleshooting step where you tried it in SD) when you were trying those cables? If not, it might be worth trying.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

techmonkey

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:03 am

lcharlesjr wrote:
Techmonkey, I've had the TV since Aug. 2010 and I've never seen it act like this before using Roku on it. Like you said though Roku just may be overwhelming the processor :(

Real sorry to hear your TV and ROKU are not playing well together I know how frustrating this can be :(
If nothing else works you can try to call Elements Electronics customer service @ 1-888-238-8123. I am not sure if that number will work if not enter your model on their website: http://www.elementelectronics.com/index.html on the bottom of the support page and it may give you another number.
1 ROKU HD-XR 2 ROKU XDS's

jeffrok

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 am

lcharlesjr wrote:

Take it in for service.. You may have to send it to them.. Most new TV's these days have a minimum warranty of 1 year.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

lcharlesjr
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:45 am

gonzotek wrote:
lcharlesjr wrote:
I then switched to the component A/V cables and the problem seemed to stop but the resolution is so much worse than HDMI. I mean, what's the point of having HDTV if not to utilize this feature.
If you were using Component (and not composite) connections, then the picture quality ought to have been comparable to the hdmi connection. Even on larger sets than yours, most people can't distinguish any quality loss at all using component vs. hdmi. Did you change your Roku display settings back to 720 or 1080 (from the troubleshooting step where you tried it in SD) when you were trying those cables? If not, it might be worth trying.

Sorry, I meant I was using the composite connections and with that the tech asked me to switch to the 16:9 setting. I have the XD so no component vid capability.

lcharlesjr
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:05 pm

techmonkey wrote:
lcharlesjr wrote:

Real sorry to hear your TV and ROKU are not playing well together I know how frustrating this can be :(
If nothing else works you can try to call Elements Electronics customer service @ 1-888-238-8123. I am not sure if that number will work if not enter your model on their website: http://www.elementelectronics.com/index.html on the bottom of the support page and it may give you another number.

I will call up Element when I get home and post an update later.

Thanks all.

cwniles

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:14 pm

good luck with that. one thing I would suggest is to hook the Roku up to another display via HDMI that way, when Elements support tries to tell you "it's the Roku not the TV", you can counter with "well the Roku works fine with every other display I plug it into.....(or doesn't as the case may be)
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

bc24

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Ah the joys of owning cut rate electronics. I learned that lesson long ago. Price should never be the only consideration when purchasing something like a TV.

StellarRat

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:45 pm

How do you know that the ROKU remote isn't sending the same command that your TV uses to power down? My suggestion is to cover the TV's IR receiver (Looks like a little red or clear plate with an electronic eyeball in it. Should be on front of TV somewhere.) and see if the problem continues. If it does my theory is all wet. If the problem stops then at least you know what's going on, but there might not be a solution.

gonzotek

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 pm

StellarRat wrote:
How do you know that the ROKU remote isn't sending the same command that your TV uses to power down? My suggestion is to cover the TV's IR receiver (Looks like a little red or clear plate with an electronic eyeball in it. Should be on front of TV somewhere.) and see if the problem continues. If it does my theory is all wet. If the problem stops then at least you know what's going on, but there might not be a solution.
Or unplug the Roku power and/or hdmi and point the roku remote directly at the tv and see if the problem still happens. Sometimes it's hard to cover those things perfectly.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

jeffrok

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 pm

bc24 wrote:
Ah the joys of owning cut rate electronics. I learned that lesson long ago. Price should never be the only consideration when purchasing something like a TV.

True, but Sony and Samsung TVs are overpriced. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sony XBR but if I had to do it over again, I'd get a Vizio or another reputable off-brand.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10