Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jhernes

Re: 2011 MLB.tv Premium package for $99.95 available now

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:51 am

What a deal?
How much it used to be?
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

kringles

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:01 pm

brett,

thanks for the heads up. I recall paying about $79 for the 1/2 season package last year. I think the full season was about $130 to $150 (not sure of exact amount). Did have problems during the early part but the MLB experience on the Roku was much improved the last month or so of the season. Had somewhat better viewing on the PS3 but by the end of the season the Roku was comparable in my experience.

regards
kringles

wpbear

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Last Year I paid $99 so this is not a huge sale. Every year I have done it I have gotten a deal where they give me a free 60 day subscription to Sports Illustrated and I get the package for $99. Then I cancel the re-occurring part of the SI and the MLB.TV and re-sign again the next year and I get the deal again. Normal price is usually $129 for the pro or bonus package which included HD.

I would wait since this is not a price cut and the details of other packages are not out yet.

As far as the fiasco with Roku last year.....it was bad and most of the blame was on MLB but after MLB fixed most of the problems, Roku still is sub-par for watching MLB.TV compared to the PS3 HD quality. I will probably buy it again but am in no hurry. It is cheaper than the Directv MLB package but you do get what you pay for.

wpbear

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm

I just noticed the MLB site says "watch on multiple devices" and it show a laptop, iPad and iPhone. Last year each subscription was a separate fee. Of course they do not have any details but seeing MLB is not always forthcoming I think there may be a few people mad when they charge 99 for the PC, and 29 for the iPhone app like last year.

Another thought is that the android app was also extra last year and since no android is in this current promo they would piss off a lot of people if the do include PC and iPhone at one price but then charge extra for android.

vmps

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm

wpbear wrote:
I just noticed the MLB site says "watch on multiple devices" and it show a laptop, iPad and iPhone. Last year each subscription was a separate fee. Of course they do not have any details but seeing MLB is not always forthcoming I think there may be a few people mad when they charge 99 for the PC, and 29 for the iPhone app like last year.

Another thought is that the android app was also extra last year and since no android is in this current promo they would piss off a lot of people if the do include PC and iPhone at one price but then charge extra for android.

MLB has never hesitated to piss people off. :lol: I'd be leery of getting any MLB streaming package if it couldn't be tested before the return window was up.

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:41 pm

An assortment of cheese Image and crackers Image to go with the assortment of whines in this thread.

But then again even the Chinese philosopher Confucius questioned baseball when he asked, "How can man walk with four balls?" :)

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

wpbear

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Dabronx, you know it wasn't all roses with roku and mlb last year.

ddevonb

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Here is a link the MLB blackout areas for each team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MLB_B ... _Areas.png

I can't wait until baseball time is here again. I love MLB TV on the Roku. I'm a Cubs fan who moved to Denver 2 years ago.

Last year they started late because on a transition form one host company to another. Hopefully they'll offer some spring training games this time.

vnzjunk

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 am

Last season they had a $20 discount available for a SI trial sub which you could cancel as soon as the MLB account activated. Total cost for the standard MLB ended up being $79.95. That was the best offer that I saw out of them last year.

wpbear

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:09 am

vnzjunk wrote:
Last season they had a $20 discount available for a SI trial sub which you could cancel as soon as the MLB account activated. Total cost for the standard MLB ended up being $79.95. That was the best offer that I saw out of them last year.

Yeah that is the one I was talking about, but for HD access it was $20 more. They are not advertising the non-premium with no HD yet. Maybe they wont have a non-HD package this year. I would like the SI deal again, free magazine for a few months is pretty cool.

vnzjunk

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:14 am

I had a standard sub last season and watched it on the Roku, my desktop and my laptop. So I am not sure what you are saying about having to have multiple subs for multiple platforms.

wpbear wrote:

wpbear

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 am

vnzjunk wrote:
I had a standard sub last season and watched it on the Roku, my desktop and my laptop. So I am not sure what you are saying about having to have multiple subs for multiple platforms.

wpbear wrote:

The current promo picture shows and talks about multiple devices: a PC, an iPhone and an iPad. Those were extra for each one last year. Yes the PC, Roku and desktop are/were the same package and are the same platform. I am saying the current promo pic maybe/probably is misleading.

paul2102

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:12 pm

wpbear wrote:
vnzjunk wrote:

wpbear wrote:

The current promo picture shows and talks about multiple devices: a PC, an iPhone and an iPad. Those were extra for each one last year. Yes the PC, Roku and desktop are/were the same package and are the same platform. I am saying the current promo pic maybe/probably is misleading.

It does not include multiple devices. I just got off the phone with the person there.
The iphone and ipad come with it... but you have to buy the apps.. which means they don't come with it. Like everything MLB, it doesn't make any sense. Either it comes with it or it doesn't.

It says 2010 games are available, which they are listed on a PC, and searchable by team, etc., but I can't find them on the ROKU. So... I guess that they aren't available on the ROKU, even if you fork up the $99 for next season. Because, if you have a subscription for the 2010 season, it doesn't run out till Feb. 2011 and we should be getting the archives.
Deceptive advertising???

It's MLB...They are still living in the dark ages when local channels broadcast every game in every city, everywhere. When will the wake up and realize that there are no local channels anymore in some cities, it's all cable and satellite. So.... why not leave the ad's in, what's the difference to them if we watch ads on cable, or on ROKU?? Go figure!!

jimg69

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm

just signed up for MLB at $99. great price. i spoke to MLB on the phone and they assured my everything should go smoothly this year. i am hard wired into my roku . I'm located in New Jersey and am a huge Red Sox fan. I am looking forward to catching a lot of games other then when they play the Yankees with to me is baseball at it finest.....

paul2102

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm

jimg69 wrote:
just signed up for MLB at $99. great price. i spoke to MLB on the phone and they assured my everything should go smoothly this year. i am hard wired into my roku . I'm located in New Jersey and am a huge Red Sox fan. I am looking forward to catching a lot of games other then when they play the Yankees with to me is baseball at it finest.....

Please let us know if you are getting any 2010 archives on your ROKU now that you have signed up for 2011.

Thanks!!