Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
HarpoonIPA
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 am

I just got Dish Network installed this past Saturday and I love it. After having DirecTV for 12 years it was time to move on, Dish should be able to do what your requesting through there DVR units if you have it networked but they don't as of this time. But you do have a great idea
 
One800dave
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:58 am

Actually, they have 2 networked units, the 722 and 922. The 922 has the sling device built in and the 722 has the option to add it for $99. What I really want is to be able to view the archived shows that you can see online on my tv. Since I have the Roku, this would be a perfect way since they offer Hulu+ (which I hear is what DishONline uses) already. The Sling allows you to watch your DVR stuff you have recorded as well as live broadcasts online. Cool, but I still want to watch old programs and series from years ago as well.
 
HarpoonIPA
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 am

One800dave wrote:
Actually, they have 2 networked units, the 722 and 922. The 922 has the sling device built in and the 722 has the option to add it for $99. What I really want is to be able to view the archived shows that you can see online on my tv. Since I have the Roku, this would be a perfect way since they offer Hulu+ (which I hear is what DishONline uses) already. The Sling allows you to watch your DVR stuff you have recorded as well as live broadcasts online. Cool, but I still want to watch old programs and series from years ago as well.

I got the 722 installed without the Sling because I would never use that adapter since I don't go anywhere, my VIP722 rocks, I love this unit
 
One800dave
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

" I got the 722 installed without the Sling because I would never use that adapter since I don't go anywhere, my VIP722 rocks, I love this unit"


I have it also and love it as well. Not sure I want to cough up $99 for something I 'might' use. We should all try to contact/browbeat Roku as well to see if they can work on this channel thing. :D
 
ddevonb
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm

TomTx wrote:
I just submitted a request. However, I just realized that Dish has little to gain. What it might mean to them is the loss of additional receiver fees. Personnally I see it as a competitive advantage, but Dish seems to be headed down the dark path of the "greedy cable pigs".



Dish has a great deal to gain. They are already offering this on demand service on the computer. This would make it more appealing to Dish Network subscribers and attract new subscribers.
 
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth
Contact:

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

If the programming they offer online is mostly from hulu.com, and hulu.com can't show it on a Roku.. Why would Dish be able to show it on a Roku?
 
One800dave
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 am

Hulu+ is already a paid service on Roku, but why pay again when dish subscribers get it free.
 
CalvinMcGowan
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 am

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 am

One800dave wrote:
Hulu+ is already a paid service on Roku, but why pay again when dish subscribers get it free.

Dish Online does not use content from Hulu's paid service, Hulu+. It uses content from Hulu's free service, Hulu classic.
 
One800dave
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 am

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
One800dave wrote:
Hulu+ is already a paid service on Roku, but why pay again when dish subscribers get it free.

Dish Online does not use content from Hulu's paid service, Hulu+. It uses content from Hulu's free service, Hulu classic.

Calvin, I would even take that. The issue is that Hulu will let you watch stuff on a PC for free but to get it through a service like Roku, they charge, which I believe it is called Hulu+ (maybe Hulu+ adds more content). All I am saying is that since we can watch Dish Online stuff for free if we are Dish subscribers, it would be great if we could also get a subscription channel on Roku like Netflix, where if you are already a subscriber to the service, you enter your subscription info and you can then get that content for no additional charge. I submitted a request to a Roku employee last night and haven't heard back from him yet.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:12 pm

One800dave wrote:
Calvin, I would even take that. The issue is that Hulu will let you watch stuff on a PC for free but to get it through a service like Roku, they charge, which I believe it is called Hulu+ (maybe Hulu+ adds more content). All I am saying is that since we can watch Dish Online stuff for free if we are Dish subscribers, it would be great if we could also get a subscription channel on Roku like Netflix, where if you are already a subscriber to the service, you enter your subscription info and you can then get that content for no additional charge. I submitted a request to a Roku employee last night and haven't heard back from him yet.


I think you're missing Stratcat96's point above: If they're using regular Hulu content, they're not going to be allowed to push it to set-top boxes because of licensing agreements. It's online-only for a reason.
 
One800dave
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 pm

I think you're missing Stratcat96's point above: If they're using regular Hulu content, they're not going to be allowed to push it to set-top boxes because of licensing agreements. It's online-only for a reason.


I see your point. I still think it would be advantageous for all parties if they could work something out though... I guess we will see.
 
SuetyStanes
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:27 pm

One800dave wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:
One800dave wrote:
Hulu+ is already a paid service on Roku, but why pay again when dish subscribers get it free.

Dish Online does not use content from Hulu's paid service, Hulu+. It uses content from Hulu's free service, Hulu classic.

Calvin, I would even take that. The issue is that Hulu will let you watch stuff on a PC for free but to get it through a service like Roku, they charge, which I believe it is called Hulu+ (maybe Hulu+ adds more content). All I am saying is that since we can watch Dish Online stuff for free if we are Dish subscribers, it would be great if we could also get a subscription channel on Roku like Netflix, where if you are already a subscriber to the service, you enter your subscription info and you can then get that content for no additional charge. I submitted a request to a Roku employee last night and haven't heard back from him yet.


Have you contacted Dish about this? That would probably be the best way to get some action on this. Otherwise it'll have to be someone not associated with Dish or Roku that produces a private channel to do it. If you've got programming chops, you could do it. Assuming the stream is Roku compatible.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:32 pm

One800dave wrote:
I think you're missing Stratcat96's point above: If they're using regular Hulu content, they're not going to be allowed to push it to set-top boxes because of licensing agreements. It's online-only for a reason.


I see your point. I still think it would be advantageous for all parties if they could work something out though... I guess we will see.


Well sure, it'd be nice, but the issue is between Hulu and the content providers, Dish is only tangentially involved. Assuming this is a log-in or ISP-provided/authenticated service, it's probably impossible for an independent developer to make the channel. And since Dish has agreed to only show this material online, you're not gonna get any help from them, either.
 
One800dave
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Yes, I sent a PM to one of the Roku employees yesterday and have not heard back yet. I told him that if he wasnt the contact to please forward to the proper dept.

Have you contacted Dish about this? That would probably be the best way to get some action on this. Otherwise it'll have to be someone not associated with Dish or Roku that produces a private channel to do it. If you've got programming chops, you could do it. Assuming the stream is Roku compatible.
 
One800dave
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Boy Mikebdoss, you're a downer... :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests