Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku and Dish Online channel

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:41 pm

One800dave wrote:
Yes, I sent a PM to one of the Roku employees yesterday and have not heard back yet. I told him that if he wasnt the contact to please forward to the proper dept.

Have you contacted Dish about this? That would probably be the best way to get some action on this. Otherwise it'll have to be someone not associated with Dish or Roku that produces a private channel to do it. If you've got programming chops, you could do it. Assuming the stream is Roku compatible.

You'd need to contact Dish, not Roku. While Roku may be interested in developing a channel for them, Dish would probably need to be the one to initiate that conversation.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

One800dave
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Yep, have done that as well. I hit it at all angles.

stratcat96

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm all for going after new programming on the Roku, but I think you guys are trying to fight a battle that can't be won.. There have been hundreds/thousands or more complaints/requests/emails/posts for Hulu to get the rights to all the hulu classic content so it could be shown on a television and yet its still web-only. If and when the content owners give liscense to hulu to put it on plus (don't hold your breath) then Dish would be in a position to create a channel. Unfortunately I think your efforts, although commendable, are premature because the issue is wayyyy bigger than Dish network

One800dave
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:05 pm

I agree it is a big undertaking, but Doesnt Roku already offer Hulu+??? That is on tv.

mikebdoss

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm

One800dave wrote:
Boy Mikebdoss, you're a downer... :)

Hah - I thought about adding "Not to be the bringer of bad news..." to my post above, but didn't get to it. I just like to get the facts out there so people can focus their efforts in the right place. I see a lot of people blaming Roku for all sorts of stuff, when it's totally about the content providers most of the time.

Crow550

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Dish online would go on Google TV first. As they have a deal already worked out: http://www.dishnetwork.com/googletv/

Which would also make it available on other Android products as well.

bc24

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Crow550 wrote:
Dish online would go on Google TV first. As they have a deal already worked out: http://www.dishnetwork.com/googletv/

Which would also make it available on other Android products as well.

No it won't. That deal is just Dish reselling the Logitech boxes. They give you a discount as a DISH subscriber. They really have nothing to do with the content of GoogleTV. Currently, Hulu is blocked for GoogleTV.

mikebdoss

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:42 pm

bc24 wrote:
Currently, Hulu is blocked for GoogleTV.

Indeed. Just like for Roku and all the set-top boxes. I don't see that changing soon.

Crow550

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Yeah well I am sure they would enable Dish Online on the Google TV first as it's a device that hooks up to the Dish DVR and if someone has an Android phone they can use the same app.

Then maybe, maybe later on other devices. Dish does have a deal with GTV as Dish DVR search is fully supported in the GTV software. It's not as functional with other providers yet because they have a deal.

bc24

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:58 pm

That has nothing whatsoever to do with Dish Online. Dish Online is repackaged Hulu, nothing more. Hulu is blocked on GoogleTV, hence Dish Online won't work either since it isn't really another site. So, until Hulu wants to unblock GoogleTV you won't see it anywhere. Once they unblock GoogleTV it will work on all Google TV boxes.

mikebdoss

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:05 pm

bc24 wrote:
That has nothing whatsoever to do with Dish Online. Dish Online is repackaged Hulu, nothing more. Hulu is blocked on GoogleTV, hence Dish Online won't work either since it isn't really another site. So, until Hulu wants to unblock GoogleTV you won't see it anywhere. Once they unblock GoogleTV it will work on all Google TV boxes.

Which won't happen because Hulu doesn't have the right to send the majority of their content to TV-connected devices, regardless of their deals with others or "blocking". I know we all like to think of Hulu as some huge media giant that's totally in control, but they're legally limited as to what they can stream to Hulu and Hulu+, and what devices are allowed.

If they work out a deal with a content provider to stream to set-top boxes, it'll show up in +, not some alternate version of standard Hulu that's allowed on those devices. Hulu+ exists as the "allowed to be on TVs" portal.

stratcat96

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:37 pm

This discussion is starting to sound like an Abbott & Costello routine...

One800dave
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 am

stratcat96 wrote:

Who's on second??? :lol:

Eduardito

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:01 pm

I loooove Dish with my 722k connected to the net and Sling. I found this thread because I thought a DISH app for the Roku would be a great idea. I love the DIsh on my iphone. The more I think about it the more I think DISH might not want this, they haven't hurried with the release of the Slingbox mainly because Slingbox would allow streaming HD to a second set instead of having to purchase a second box. Some things to consider, the second line on the DISH box is SD not HD, if you want a second HD connection you need a second box. A Dish app for the Roku would circumvent this, the Slingbox would cirvumvent this as well but they haven't hurried with it's release. On the other hand when you start up your Dish App on iphone, the second line gets blocked. So you don't get more TV for your money, it's the exact amount of TV you're paying for already, the only difference would be that you can get HD on the second TV set. The other thing to consider is that DISH is in bed with Google TV thru the Logitech Revue right now.

SuetyStanes

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm

One800dave wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

Who's on second??? :lol:

What is. Who's on first. :)