Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mchasal

Re: What do you supplement your Roku with?

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 am

Basic cable + HDHomerun tuner + MythTV on my desktop Linux PC + The Roku MythTV frontend. That's my supplement for current content.

Gilgamesh

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:29 pm

I have:

Roku Used primarly for NetFlix and Amazon but I also use a few of the Chs from time to time. This is used about 50-55% of the time.

WD Live plus Actually the last device I bought and the second most used. This is DLNA compliant and has a Netflix interface that is almost as good as the Roku's (I think it uses a different stream for NetFlix so it makes a good backup when the Roku's streams have problems) and it plays every form of content I have or am likely to get. (The Roku is still superior for NetFlix though) This is also DLNA compliant.

VuNow: First streaming device for me and has a LOT of content that the other devices do not have and is DLNA compliant so PlayOn works through it very well and that gives me another backup for all the sites I use but the picture through PlayOn is a little worse.

Sony 400 disk DVD changer: For playing my rather large collection of DVDs.

Computer with USB tuner for OTA: This is probably the least used but it fills a niche that nothing else can. Also I use it to watch some of the online content that is available through PlayOn but where I want a superior picture to what PlayOn provides. (This computer also runs PlayOn))

With the above I have NO monthly expenses for content except for NetFlix and my ISP and I have more content than I could watch to 6 or 7 lifetimes so I have choice all the time and the variety means that I never have to watch something that I am not completely interested in, at the time.

I could get by with nothing but the computer but I am retired and spending a little money on convenience is not really a problem. Including the computer the total cost of all my streaming devices is less that $500.00. Even throwing in the DVD player, TV, router and other support devices my total cost for all my electronics is less than $1300.00.

Considering what I spent before going to mostly streaming for entertainment I could replace everything every couple of years and still be WAY ahead.

KennyJ

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:52 pm

I use Sezmi's OTA DVR.

http://www.sezmi.com/

AeroR1

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi-VHF antenna joined with a UHF antenna mounted on the roof for OTA
3 TiVos used as OTA DVR's
PS3 for bluray, Netflix and vudu
Xbox 360 with HDDVD drive
HTPC for boxee, hulu desktop and espn3
Slingcatcher
Old and new apple tv
Boxee box
Playon

The roku n1000 Is used for other channels, I never use it for Netflix or hulu+ (since I don't sub to it because of hulu desktop.

vphares

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 pm

OTA antenna connected to Tivo Premiere (don't like Tivo's Netflix or other streaming as well as Roku's)
Kylo.tv web browser running on a laptop that I connect to the TV occasionally.
Squeezebox Radio connected to Surround System so I can listen to Pandora or Internet Radio while looking at something else on the TV.
Just got a PS3. Playon.tv seems to work with the PS3 better than the Roku.

jhernes

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 pm

pepto bismol!
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

Robert99

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 pm

FWIW my current "entertainment device" mix is:

ROKU (hooked to the TV via HDMI, and the stereo via analog sound).

Cheaper 32" LCD (720P) TV

Used stereo, hooked up to both the analog sound outputs of the ROKU and (via a manual audio switch box) the audio output of the TV. This means that I can either play anything on the stereo that is currently being watched on the TV (no matter what the source, even OTA TV works), OR (by flipping a switch on the audio switch box) play the audio from the ROKU even if/when the TV is off (the latter option is great for ROKU audio only channels).

"Outdoor" (currently physically indoors) UHF antenna + signal amp for watching OTA DTV. While the antenna hasn't yet been physically mounted outdoors, the larger antenna size (vs a traditional indoor antenna) gives it much better OTA DTV pickup (useful when you live a bit in the country).

Combo DVD/VHS player, hooked up to the TV. This lets me watch traditional NetFlix disks, my own DVDs, and even my older VHS library.

A cheap "Acer" netbook (XP), hooked up to the TV via the "PC" (VGA) input (and audio cable from the laptop's built in sound). The laptop has been configured to stay up (and not "sleep") when the case is closed, and also configured to output to the external "display" (the TV). It is controlled by a trackball and external keyboard, hooked up via USB. I don't use this option nearly as much as I expected I would, but it does let me watch (on the TV) anything (including basic HULU) that the laptop can stream. And since I have the option to get stereo sound for anything currently watched on the TV, I can even get the stereo's much better sound (vs the TV's built in sound) when streaming video to the TV this way!

Refurbished X-BOX 360. Not really a video device (although it could do streaming video, if I wanted to shell out the money for the "Gold" X-Box live). However, it clearly is an "entertainment" device. And like the other devices, I can see it on the TV, and also have the option to route the sound via the stereo (which makes for some really nice sound when playing video games).

jlsoaz

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
I've had my Roku for about a month, and I'm really digging it. I'm using Chaneru to also stream my movies, etc from my desktop computer and when i get home today I'm probably going to hook up an indoor HD antenna I have just collecting dust, and I'll probably connect a VGA cable just so I can stream things I miss like BBC, boxing, basketball, and cycling directly from my laptop to my TV (quality about the same as Justin.tv channel, but better than nothing). I'm curious what other more experienced users are using to augment their Roku?

Nothing, or very little.

I got rid of my cable two years before the Roku DVP existed and never got a regular antenna of any sort. I subscribed to netflix I think maybe a bit before Roku got there DVP going but didn't use it that much. Over the last year I've had maybe one DVD delivered. I guess I used to order a DVD via Amazon once in awhile if I felt the need to watch a movie. I didn't, and don't, watch videos on my computers except maybe from southparkstudios.com.

WardFamily

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Dish for the Wife and Child. I am happy with just the Roku.
http://lindenalabama.net

annesouth

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:39 pm

I use Media Center with a dual tuner card and an indoor antenna, with it I get all of the major stations plus a couple of local ones. I still don't watch anything live, instead I record the shows so I can fast forward through commercials. I makes watching football much more bearable!

stwmass

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:00 pm

I use Hulu plus over Roku, plus a few other channels occasionally. I supplement with basic cable service for $10/month - about 15 channels including my local ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/Fox affiliates. In my state, cable companies must provide this basic cable option - is that the same in other states? Does that seem strange I still pay for basic cable? Something about browsing "active real-time" television that I feel like I need and can't get with anything over Roku. I've considered netflix also, but I havent run out of entertainment on Hulu plus yet. Not using any computer based content - just dont feel like messing with it. I do wish I could stream other channels for kid friendly TV - I would pay another $10/month if I Could get Disney or Nick or some other channels my kids could watch. Anyone aware of any options there?

URIAHHEEP2

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Control center duty shared Yamaha RX-A 700 and computer. Dual boot computer using Linux and Win 7. Set up Apache proxy and use modded VLC (open source) as player and streamer on hard wired network with very fire walled wireless for laptop and friends laptops. Audio system--Yamaha RX-A 700 as control & preamp, old Hafler xl 280's for front, side and rears in 7.2 layout. Speakers old Infinity Kapa 7's front, Kapa 6"s side and back, Home make sealed subs powered by old Hafler P 7000, center home built with old Kappa drivers. no presence speakers yet. Home built computer with Divco Fusion 5 gold HDTV tuner. OTA TV by refurbished 20 year old Motorola ultra deep fringe antenna on 50 foot mast. Also Dish satellite until contract runs out then OTD. Oppo DVD/cd and also blue ray from computer via HDMI out video card. Audio recording by old SVHS then record to cd. Optical audio in/out of computer to/from Yamaha. Video by low end 50" Samsung plasma. Continue to search net for content. I have cut back dish to minimum required by contract. There is an old 10' dish outside I will investigate later is there is any free content. Lots of equipment but I picked it up over many years, built others including electronics. I picked up the Kappa's for a song. Like the Kappa's and the Haflers you can get some old gear for not much $ that provide quality You would have to spend big $$$ to equal with new gear.

rmpbklyn

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:09 pm

stwmass wrote:
I use Hulu plus over Roku, plus a few other channels occasionally. I supplement with basic cable service for $10/month - about 15 channels including my local ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/Fox affiliates. In my state, cable companies must provide this basic cable option - is that the same in other states? Does that seem strange I still pay for basic cable? Something about browsing "active real-time" television that I feel like I need and can't get with anything over Roku. I've considered netflix also, but I havent run out of entertainment on Hulu plus yet. Not using any computer based content - just dont feel like messing with it. I do wish I could stream other channels for kid friendly TV - I would pay another $10/month if I Could get Disney or Nick or some other channels my kids could watch. Anyone aware of any options there?

I got the OTA, one time fee for 50 and the 10/month you mention would pay out after 5 months , then you will never have to see a bill again for C/S

jedimko

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 pm

The best supplement to Roku is "The Channel That Shall Not Be Named". It has a great collection of tvlinks and hulu for free. I also use the my media option to stream movies from my external drive without having a box with a USB. "The Channel That Shall Not Be Named" is really worth the $20 a year and made it easy for me to cut cable for good (along with Netflix of course). All in all i pay a total of $11.67 ($10 Netflix and $1.67/month for TCTSNBN) for more content than basic cable. Hope that helps.

PS ask around if your not sure what "The Channel That Shall Not Be Named" is. Now go Play On with the Roku!

Bernpaud

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I recently cut the cord from Dishnetwork and am using Sezmi (http://www.sezmi.com) and Roku for my programming. If you haven't looked a Sezmi for OTA DVR functionality (and you are in one of their 36 markets) it is worth checking out their website. It is a great compliment to a Roku. I wanted to maintain an easy to use DVR as we rarely watch any live TV "live" and wanted a DVR comparable to Dish's. After a purchase price of $150, Sezmi's monthly fee of $4.99 for a 1TB hardrive was hard (impossible really) to beat. The option of recording to a laptop/pc was not an option as it would not have passed the wife test. I didn't even touch on the Sezmi's web streaming features. If you live in one of the areas where it is available it is worth visiting their website.