Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mommom

Re: What do you supplement your Roku with?

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 pm

I tried the "Channel that shall not be named " and like it a lot,but my old hardware can't keep up with running it on the Roku and someone using the Pc in another room.Of course my most powerful pc is 3.06 ghz P4.I do have an old dual processor workstation I may try it on ,but Im thinking that old slow rambus memory may not work .Its great for serving movie files,though.I think I will have to talk DH into wanting a new PC for his birthday!

mkiker2089

Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:59 am

I supplement the Roku with a PS3, in another room that is. I have a blu ray player and Roku in one room. On the Roku I have Netflix, Hulu, and occasionally watch Revision 3. I recently added Youtube but it's a novelty only right now. I've seen a few podcasts that I liked but finding it is tedious. I used to use Mediafly but that channel is horribly broken in that it doesn't filter podcasts like youtube. It tells the box to play things that aren't compatible and it can crash the box.

The PS3 does all other media work. It can stream from computers, play almost anything from USB, does blu ray etc.. I also have Hulu and Netflix on it, so what more would I need? I don't feel like I'm missing anything at this point and cable is just a distant memory.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

mkiker2089

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:03 am

mommom wrote:
I tried the "Channel that shall not be named " and like it a lot,but my old hardware can't keep up with running it on the Roku and someone using the Pc in another room.Of course my most powerful pc is 3.06 ghz P4.I do have an old dual processor workstation I may try it on ,but Im thinking that old slow rambus memory may not work .Its great for serving movie files,though.I think I will have to talk DH into wanting a new PC for his birthday!

I never liked that program. It's too bloated for it's own good. Transcoding the video just seems to cpu intensive, even when people have decent video cards that should be able to handle it. There are other channels and programs that are better suited. I don't stream from a computer though so I can't give too much personal advice. I know Tversity runs much better on any PC because it's more optimized to handle the decoding. Other people have mentioned a program call "orb" or something like that.

Trust me, research those before buying a computer for streaming.

edit---

Found this link. It seems a little more complicated to set up but it would have to run better. It's also not a banned topic so people can help you here.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36931
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

mommom

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I checked out Tversity and they seem to only work with the Roku Photo bridge and Soundbridge for now.I never tried Gabby as it was "Beta" and I am fairly clueless.I do follow directions well so I have been waiting to try it until the bugs are ironed out.Right now I get along with my mix of Rokus,Pcs hooked to tvs,an old server for local content ,and OTA.I plan to build my own HTPC this summer when my grandsons are away visiting their dad.It will be powerful enough to run what ever I want to in the way of software,I hope.If I build it with grandsons here it will be a gaming machine and break the bank!

RocknRoll

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Im using a ROKU XD with subscriptions to DRIVE-IN, NETFLIX and BIGSTARTV.Added 3 private channels and sometimes will use Amazon VOD. Not an amazon prime user but will buy used DVDs at their site and hope they have a better offering of streaming titles soon.

I have an OTA indoor antenna and get 30 channels: ABC ( includes a weather channel),CBS( comes with THISTV),NBC,FOX,PBS,ION, WB, 2 local independents ( one with THECOOLTV , the other has a bunch of sports programming) and Retro Televison Network ( has RTN, Classic TV and TUFFTV).

A library of over 300 DVDs. Randomly will search bargain bins at Walmart, Big Lots and used book/media stores for deals but very little buying going on.

High speed net cable connection with a 19" HD quality monitor so I sometimes watch free HULU , ESPN3 and referred programming from OVG. I have the deal thats discounts net service if you take the free lifeline so have a redundant 16 channels---Gives me CSPAN, WGN and some local ARTS/Public TV (NPT) programming extra ,but really dont even use it.

Use REDBOX as a supplement, mostly due to the free codes and the convenient locations. Go ahead and laugh--McDONALDS--they have a remodeled one here and that has 4 big tvs set up running a variety of cable programming. One area has a big couch and a fireplace. Yes, Thats if Im hungry and there happens to be some TV programming that I really have to see and cant get.

Android smartphone for FOX News videos,PANDORA, Podcasts and on the go videos from TV.COM and YOUTUBE.

Still have DIRECTV right now but using all these other sources >90% of the time to be sure I would have no problem doing a cord-cut. Just waiting for March Madness to complete ,since this year is a unique TV experience and will be saying goodbye to PAYTV in April . No regrets at all. I already know what life will be without PAYTV and Im way ok with it.