Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
dellsweig
Topic Author
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

AirPlay on the Roku? Its gonna be BIG

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:30 am

Looking at some of the product announcments coming from CES show that AirPlay is now being built into everything from AV revceivers to Speaker systems. As many already know, there are AirPlay clients for PC and MAC out there already (free).

For anyone who does not know what AirPlay is - it allows you to play any content on your iDevice (iPhone, iPod, iPad, MAC), audio or video and stream it to an AirPlay enabled device. AppleTV already has this built in by default.

I would assume that Apple has published the protocol specs which is allowing these vendors to build their products.

It would be absolutly AWSOME if Roku or one of the independent developers out there built an App to allow this - to allow me to play my iDevice content directly on my TV via the Roku - either directly or via a PC or MAC based server.

Come on - this would be HUGE
Last edited by dellsweig on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 am

dellsweig wrote:
For anyone who does not know what AirPlay is - it allows you to play any content on your iDevice (iPhone, iPod, iPad, MAC), audio or video and stream it to an AirPlay enabled device. AppleTV already has this built in by default.

To be clear, while audio from virtually any app can utilize AirPlay, the only video content that is currently supported is that which is stored on your iDevice (i.e., no web video and no video from third party apps). Since video content on your iDevice is most likely already in your iTunes library, and by nature already in a Roku friendly format, there are already non-AirPlay solutions available for the Roku to play that content. Aside from the convenience of being able to control it from your iDevice, I don't see much utility for an AirPlay channel at the moment. I'm also pretty sure AirPlay uses UDP instead of HTTP/TCP, in which case, it wouldn't be possible with the current Roku SDK.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
dellsweig
Topic Author
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 pm

TheEndless wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
For anyone who does not know what AirPlay is - it allows you to play any content on your iDevice (iPhone, iPod, iPad, MAC), audio or video and stream it to an AirPlay enabled device. AppleTV already has this built in by default.

To be clear, while audio from virtually any app can utilize AirPlay, the only video content that is currently supported is that which is stored on your iDevice (i.e., no web video and no video from third party apps). Since video content on your iDevice is most likely already in your iTunes library, and by nature already in a Roku friendly format, there are already non-AirPlay solutions available for the Roku to play that content. Aside from the convenience of being able to control it from your iDevice, I don't see much utility for an AirPlay channel at the moment. I'm also pretty sure AirPlay uses UDP instead of HTTP/TCP, in which case, it wouldn't be possible with the current Roku SDK.


Not to be argumentive - but you did use the keywords - "currently supported".....

What is released is the first iteration. It wont be long till Apps have the ability to use the AirPlay API functions allowing all sorts of Video streaming from the iDevices. Actually, I saw a demo of AppleTV where FaceTime on an iPhone displayed on the TV. The current iRelease is only the beginning and with a projected 50 million iPads to be sold next year and close to 100 million iPhones - the potential for the TV tie-in would be huge

From Roku's perspective - I would assume you dont want to let AppleTV (or GTV) to differentiate themselves too far from what Roku does.

As far as the UDP/TCp issues - If there is room on the flash - its just a matter of a new SDK :) - short term solution would be a server (PC or MAC) much the way the various home media servers work.

Besides - it would be awsome to fly my Parrot Drone and see the video on my big TV......
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
scyber
Posts: 1326
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 am

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 pm

dellsweig wrote:
I would assume that Apple has published the protocol specs which is allowing these vendors to build their products.


I thought only the audio protocol is published, but that is basically b/c it is the same as a previous Apple technology. Last I heard, Airplay video specs have not been published by Apple.
 
dellsweig
Topic Author
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 pm

scyber wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
I would assume that Apple has published the protocol specs which is allowing these vendors to build their products.


I thought only the audio protocol is published, but that is basically b/c it is the same as a previous Apple technology. Last I heard, Airplay video specs have not been published by Apple.



Maramtz is advertising audio and video via AirPlay

http://us.marantz.com/Products/airplayus.marantz.com

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/07/denon-an ... te-for-49/

Also - there are AirPlay (audio and video) clients out there from NON-Apple sources for PC and for MAC
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

dellsweig wrote:
Not to be argumentive - but you did use the keywords - "currently supported".....

Yup... and I also used the phrase "at the moment"...

I personally don't think it makes much sense to put effort into trying to write a channel to support it based on what Apple has suggested will be available in the future, especially considering the current limitations. Most of the devices that have announced AirPlay support to date are audio only. When they announced the Apple TV 2, they made a huge deal about AirPlay, which spawned all kinds of speculation and "killer feature" arguments, but here we are 4 months later with little advancement on the video side of it, and no solid confirmation from Apple that video support will be expanded (aside from a vague single line email response from Steve Jobs suggesting that more is to come). Once more universal video support is added, it might make more sense to pursue something, but in its current state, I just don't see the utility.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, so you're more than welcome to disagree.

(btw, my family also owns an Apple TV, three iPhones, two iPads, and a Mac Mini, so I'm not basing my opinion on any sort of anti-Apple/pro-Roku bias ;))
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
Saqqara
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:45 pm

If not from iOS, due to Apple's proprietary nature, there must be a way to do a similar sort of magic trick from windows/linux including android.

I've always wanted a channel that would play video from a url, just to know if it was going to play on the Roku or not; and a windows right-click utility to pass the url from my laptop to a roku channel. Closest I have is Sunimi's ability to put video urls in a feed you create within their website.

I understand Windows 7 has some sort of Play To feature that uses DLNA/UPNP. I think a lot more people care about DLNA support than Airplay.

I've also thought of using some sort of video capture utility like those gamers use to play live streams of their video games on JustinTV et al, and stream the PC screen to the Roku, like a wireless VGA cable.
 
Saqqara
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 pm

I found a thread in the developer forum where a Roku employee pointed out that the external control protocol (such as used by Pirey's DVPRemote on the iphone) now allows an external device to not only launch a specific channel but to pass parameters to it, such as a URL to play.

It's not airplay exactly, but with a local web server on a laptop, local content could theoretically be launched and played on the Roku. Compatible links on the web could also be played.


I've often wondered if an easy "Will it play?" channel would help users advise developers of good compatible content without sending them so often on a wild goose chase.
 
dellsweig
Topic Author
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 am

TheEndless wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
Not to be argumentive - but you did use the keywords - "currently supported".....

Yup... and I also used the phrase "at the moment"...

I personally don't think it makes much sense to put effort into trying to write a channel to support it based on what Apple has suggested will be available in the future, especially considering the current limitations. Most of the devices that have announced AirPlay support to date are audio only. When they announced the Apple TV 2, they made a huge deal about AirPlay, which spawned all kinds of speculation and "killer feature" arguments, but here we are 4 months later with little advancement on the video side of it, and no solid confirmation from Apple that video support will be expanded (aside from a vague single line email response from Steve Jobs suggesting that more is to come). Once more universal video support is added, it might make more sense to pursue something, but in its current state, I just don't see the utility.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, so you're more than welcome to disagree.

(btw, my family also owns an Apple TV, three iPhones, two iPads, and a Mac Mini, so I'm not basing my opinion on any sort of anti-Apple/pro-Roku bias ;))



Well - an answer to your statement about audio only and about universal support for Airplay (audio and video).

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/12/ios-4-3-i ... -web-apps/

The API now fully supports Apps accessing airplay for audio and video.....

Wouldnt it be nice if the Roku was ahead of the curve on this one??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
cincygator
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 am

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:40 am

It would awesome if this was available on the Roku. What a cool application. NOt sure how hard it would be to get this done.
 
dellsweig
Topic Author
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:02 am

I know I have been waving this flag for a while.... There have been forum discussions with some (including developers) that say it wont be big - it will be limited in scope, etc, etc.

http://www.9to5mac.com/49012/get-ready- ... app-deluge

It seems AAPL is licensing the technology (software?)

Roku needs to be on the leading edge with this one or AAPL TV and the imbedded AirPlay clients will leave Roku in the dust...

Idevice Apps are already showing up with the ability to "flick" content (audio and video) from the phone to the big screen......
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:54 am

dellsweig wrote:
...will leave Roku in the dust...

Wish I had a dollar for every time someone's posted this phrase in the last 2 1/2 years...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
dellsweig
Topic Author
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its big at CES

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 am

kc8pql wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
...will leave Roku in the dust...

Wish I had a dollar for every time someone's posted this phrase in the last 2 1/2 years...


Very true - but can you say that Roku missed on anything that was inferred in these posts??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
Runis
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its gonna be BIG

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:05 pm

I am a long time roku user and I am seriously considering the switch to appletv so I can use AirPlay to stream several of my iPad apps to my tv. I think roku is seriously missing the boat if doesn't jump on the bandwagon soon.
 
mommom
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:21 am

Re: AirPlay on the Roku? Its gonna be BIG

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:12 pm

You know there are a lot of us cheap a**ed people out here who use stupid phones and do not have,or desire to have Iphones .Maybe if they were the size of Ipads I would want to watch a video or surf the web on one.Somehow I think us cheapo old schoolers will keep those under $100 price point Rokus in business with or without "Airplay".

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ghmcmur and 17 guests