Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: 2011 mlb.tv -- to pull the trigger or not

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:56 am

West Ham wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
Also be aware that MLB.tv apparently also uses your billing address to determine where you live, so you'd need a combo of a VPN AND someone else's billing address.

NO, they don't. They allow up to five different IP's to access the games at once. It does not matter where they come from.

Researching, you appear to be right. Their website says:

Reminder: When you are traveling and accessing your MLB.TV subscription, you will be subject to that area's local blackout restrictions and not your home territory blackout restrictions.

So IP spoofing seems to be a way to get around this.

West Ham

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 am

mikebdoss wrote:
West Ham wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
Also be aware that MLB.tv apparently also uses your billing address to determine where you live, so you'd need a combo of a VPN AND someone else's billing address.

NO, they don't. They allow up to five different IP's to access the games at once. It does not matter where they come from.

Researching, you appear to be right. Their website says:

Reminder: When you are traveling and accessing your MLB.TV subscription, you will be subject to that area's local blackout restrictions and not your home territory blackout restrictions.

So IP spoofing seems to be a way to get around this.

Yup, that is what I do on the PS3

airwalker82

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:08 pm

I notice the Roku folks aren't chiming in at all. Wish they would. It was clear to me and others that the issues were with MLB.tv and the software used to stream feeds to devices such as the Roku. The proof is that the PS3 had some of the same issues as the Roku. I wish Roku would just state something official. I think things will be running (smooth or not) once the season starts if MLB sticks with the same software. Maybe they've come up with some solutions to the common problems we experienced last year. How 'bout it Roku...can you tell us anything?

Scottheb

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:14 am

So IP spoofing seems to be a way to get around this.[/quote]

Yup, that is what I do on the PS3[/quote]

Okay, so how do you do it with the PS3? Thanks!

paul2102

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 am

In small print, at the bottom of the options page on MLB TV Roku page - http://goo.gl/ZYSla :
*Features not available when viewing your MLB.TV® subscription on Roku Player.

Out of the 10 season features, Roku only provides HD Quality(Where Available), Full Game Archives, and the optional Home and Away Broadcasts (for an extra $20) One option with a star is Portable to Multiple Devices. I don't understand this one. Why can't you view your MLB TV subscription on any device if you have activated your subscription using Roku ?

vmps

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:41 am

paul2102 wrote:
In small print, at the bottom of the options page on MLB TV Roku page - http://goo.gl/ZYSla :
*Features not available when viewing your MLB.TV® subscription on Roku Player.

Out of the 10 season features, Roku only provides HD Quality(Where Available), Full Game Archives, and the optional Home and Away Broadcasts (for an extra $20) One option with a star is Portable to Multiple Devices. I don't understand this one. Why can't you view your MLB TV subscription on any device if you have activated your subscription using Roku ?

Note that page has two * definitions:

"*All MLB.TV features not available on all devices. Separate purchase of applicable MLB.com At Bat™ application may be required"

Leave it to MLB to screw up pretty much anything on the internet, including a simple web page. :lol: Anyway, you're left to guess which features are unavailable on the roku and which are not available on all device and which require additional cash for no obvious reason. I'd guess the one you're asking about means that if you want to watch on a phone you need to pay them extra for the stupid app that any other company would give you for free.

Chuck_IV

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:01 am

Quick question on the way this works. I have a Roku, Samsumg Blu-Ray(BD-C6900) and a PS3, all of whichhave the MLB TV app(I think the PS3 has it). I'm assuming after I buy it(I'm waiting for the month to month option) all I have to do is register all 3 players and they will all work... correct? It doesn't restrict you to one player only does it?

West Ham

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 am

Chuck_IV wrote:
Quick question on the way this works. I have a Roku, Samsumg Blu-Ray(BD-C6900) and a PS3, all of whichhave the MLB TV app(I think the PS3 has it). I'm assuming after I buy it(I'm waiting for the month to month option) all I have to do is register all 3 players and they will all work... correct? It doesn't restrict you to one player only does it?

I have it linked on my computer, PS3, & Roku and it works fine. I also split the cost with 4 other people around the country with no problems

ddevonb

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 am

mikebdoss wrote:

The billing address has nothing to do with it. When I travel with my laptop, the blackouts change according to where I happen to be at the time. The would be according to IP address right?

Scottheb

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:08 am

Does using a "hide my IP' program work if you have a zip in a different part of the country than where my local team is?

treedonkey

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't understand the original question here... If you already have a roku player and if you've already subscribed to MLB.tv then there is nothing else to buy. You just have to activate your mlb account for 2011 on your roku device. If it doesn't stream well on your roku then you can just go back to viewing on your computer or buy another device. Roku was streaming pretty well by the end of the season for me, but it still was hot or miss. Time and user feedback will tell if there are any significant improvements this year... In the mean-time, keep your ethernet-connected computers close at hand just in case.

snappytype
Topic Author

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm

I had mlb.tv last year, but I haven't bought it yet this year. So, I was just wondering if I should buy it this year or not.

Last year, I had the capability of streaming from my computer to my television, but the setup in my new house won't allow that. And, I don't want to have to sit in front of the computer to watch the games. I was just wondering if the subscription would be worth it this year.

I keep reading about people who had trouble at the beginning of the season, but it got better towards the end. Mine didn't get any better at all. If it's as frustrating as it was last season, it's not worth it to me. I just want to know what the fix is for all of the re-loads. My internet is fast enough...

figaro

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:01 am

My experience last year was that streaming via PC was average (way too many freezes), while streaming through the Roku was worse (mostly freezing and buffering issues). Although both devices worked beautifully at times, neither was anywhere near reliable.

Don't expect MLB.TV or Roku to address any of your questions. Apparently they don't care or they don't know, either way you lose.

It would be foolish to purchase MLB.TV this season beforehand. I'd wait until mid-April to read what Roku users are posting. If it gets low marks, and to be honest, I expect that it will, perhaps you can subscribe to a cable system's basic service (mine charges me $15 dollars a month), and then buy a subscription to Extra Innings. It will cost more but it will be 100 percent reliable. Last year I paid $120 for my MLB subscription, in retrospect, due to all the annoyances I experienced I think $20 would have been a fairer price.

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I subscribed to mlb.tv last season and have already paid for the 2011 season.

As others have stated the Roku was rough going the first half of the season but improved dramatically after that.

The mlb.tv package is available to stream on an ever increasing number of devices including phones and some internet connected blu-ray players and even some newer tv's, see http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=mlbtv&affiliateId=mlbMENU for more details.

I found the ps3 to be the best and most consistent platform for me from June when I purchased it to the end of the season plus the ps3 allows use of more features than the Roku. Towards the end of the season I found the Roku to be comparable to the ps3 in performance and watched approximately the last third of the season with the Roku instead of the ps3. The ps3 sucks electricity (about 160 watts) while the Roku sips it (about 8 watts) and so if performance, reliability and quality are the same I choose the Roku to watch.

I also subscribe to the nhl center ice season package and it is available on both the Roku and ps3 but I find for those games the Roku kicks the ps3's butt 95% of the time. I have used the Roku almost exclusively for nhl games all season.

I noticed that this season mlb.tv will be showing 150 spring training games live and wonder if Roku will be carrying those games. Only time will tell.

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

CulturalWasteland

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:14 pm

I just read on the mlb.tv forum that 2011 spring training games will NOT be available on Roku. That's a bummer. I can't see any reason why they would exclude spring training games on Roku.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.a ... 1&tid=5944