Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

signalranger
Topic Author

Why Roku needing remote placed right in front of it?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:31 pm

And that's with fresh batteries. What will happen is this - sometimes to get the Roku unit to come on from standby (it's always plugged in), we have to hold the remote right in front of the unit - and that's even with fresh batteries in the remote. Very strange. Then the remote will work from a distance making selections, pausing, etc. We only have to hold it up close to the Roku base to get it going sometimes.

Anyone know why or what can be done about it?

kumasuki

Re: Why Roku needing remote placed right in front of it?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Sounds like you're experiencing an issue with backlight interference. If the Roku is in standby mode, try turning off the TV then hitting a key on the Roku remote before turning the TV back on.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

nighthawk_md

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 pm

Wasn't there also something about the auto-brightness adjuster feature that coats your entire room in IR radiation interfering with the remote?

signalranger
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks, that's pretty sad if it's backlight interference when we have the TV set to a lower light lower energy movie mode. The remote/base unit should be made better than that.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 pm

In another thread you say the TV is acting odd when you turn it on. Did the problem with the remote begin about the same time? The TV backlight may me emitting IR while it's trying to start and interfering.
Last edited by kc8pql on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

mkiker2089

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm

signalranger wrote:
Thanks, that's pretty sad if it's backlight interference when we have the TV set to a lower light lower energy movie mode. The remote/base unit should be made better than that.

It's not your remote, it's your television.

Consider the following

- your TV uses fluorescent lighting instead of LEDs
- fl. lights can't actually be dimmed since they are dependent on a transformer sending a consistent and high voltage. LEDs and heat based lights can be dimmed via voltage reduction.
- your TV dims the image by "cycling" the light. In essence it blinks rapidly and your eye perceives this as dimmer. This not only causes ambient interference it also shortens the life of the lighting and has been linked in some less than stellar studies with eyestrain and headaches. The CFLs you see in the store that are labeled as dimmable do the same thing as far as I know.
- you really aren't saving any power because these lights are very efficient already and work best under normal consistent load

Turn the backlight to full and adjust the picture from there. Trust me, it'll look better and perform better.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

elorimer

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 am

signalranger wrote:

It isn't energy related. Its frequency related; when the CCF is at a different brightness it is pulsing at a different frequency and if that overlaps the 38.1 IR signal you get this problem.

ApK

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:01 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
- you really aren't saving any power because these lights are very efficient already and work best under normal consistent load

Turn the backlight to full and adjust the picture from there. Trust me, it'll look better and perform better.

Holy mackrel. I've been wondering why the detector light on my IR repeater has been going crazy.

I'm going to plug in my Kill-O-Watt meter and move the backlight setting to see for myself about the power thing, but assuming it's as you say, you just solved a mystery for me!

So there really is value in these new LED LCD TVs?

ApK

tekpedia

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:07 pm

If you have a smartphone, android or iPhone, there are apps that will let you use you phone with wireless to the ip address. Not a solution, but a nice backup.

ApK

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:49 pm

ApK wrote:

I'm going to plug in my Kill-O-Watt meter and move the backlight setting to see for myself about the power thing, but assuming it's as you say, you just solved a mystery for me!
ApK

Well, according to my meter, raising the back-light setting on my AOC Envision TV through the range from 0 to 10 more than doubles the power consumption linearly from 60 watts to 140 watts, and I observed no activity on my IR detector through the range.
So I guess this doesn't apply to me.

destruk

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:05 pm

ApK wrote:
ApK wrote:

ApK

Well, according to my meter, raising the back-light setting on my AOC Envision TV through the range from 0 to 10 more than doubles the power consumption linearly from 60 watts to 140 watts, and I observed no activity on my IR detector through the range.
So I guess this doesn't apply to me.

Yeah you must have one of those special televisions. I hope you can work it out with the manufacturer, because that much power consumption should be illegal.

ApK

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:30 pm

destruk wrote:

Yeah you must have one of those special televisions. I hope you can work it out with the manufacturer, because that much power consumption should be illegal.

Any point to that?