Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bexn
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Request for NFB channel on Roku

Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 am

The National Film Board of Canada (http://www.nfb.ca) has about 1500 films, clips and trailers online that are available for free for personal use. Apps already exist for the iPhone, the iPad and even Boxee. How about making a NFB channel for the Roku? True, I could (and have ) subscribed to their YouTube channel and access their content this way but their channel has only about 200 uploads available. So how about it? Any takers?

For those who've never checked out NFB before, here's one of my favorite animated shorts that's appropriate for the entire family:

http://www.nfb.ca/hd/the-cat-came-back/
http://www.nfb.ca/film/the-cat-came-back
Said goodbye to satellite in 2010 in favor of my Rokus, HTPC & OTA. It's the only way to fly! Member of Amazon Prime & DramaFever since 2011, Hulu Plus since 2010 and Netflix since 2009. Less expensive & better quality entertainment!

Eeek

Re: Request for NFB channel on Roku

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:33 am

Posting to a stale topic as my first post, probably not a good start to forum live. Oh well.

I too would like to get NFB through my Roku. From the looks of it, the content owner (NFB, I assume) needs to submit the channel to Roku. I'm guessing we should be asking the NFB. Given that the NFB is somewhat non-profit, we might get a better response from them if we were to provide funding or the coded tool for the NFB Roku channel. So, does anyone know how much it would cost to have someone make a Roku Channel for the NFB assuming we can get NFB endorsement?

socantra

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:34 am

Eeek wrote:
Posting to a stale topic as my first post, probably not a good start to forum live. Oh well.

You are right about that. The forum guidelines (highlighted at the top of the forum) request that you generally avoid reviving a thread over 6 months old. By doing so however, you have indicated the overwhelming demand for such a channel. Two posts in two years. :)

I too would like to get NFB through my Roku. From the looks of it, the content owner (NFB, I assume) needs to submit the channel to Roku. I'm guessing we should be asking the NFB. Given that the NFB is somewhat non-profit, we might get a better response from them if we were to provide funding or the coded tool for the NFB Roku channel. So, does anyone know how much it would cost to have someone make a Roku Channel for the NFB assuming we can get NFB endorsement?

Anyone who would like is free to create a Roku channel for content to which they have the rights. You are also right about it being the Canadian NFB who would have to approve and possibly create the channel. Creating a channel is not a completely overwhelming programming project. Several hundred people have done it.

The developers forum has resources for potential developers and (I believe) a listing of third party developers for hire. You might want to contact some of them to discuss potential costs. Normally, Roku does not create the channels, but provides an open SDK for others to create channels. To go in the channel store, the channel would have to be approved by Roku to insure rights to the content and compatibility with the hardware. Private channels do not require prior approval, but Roku is becoming more vigilant about assuring content rights if you choose to publicize the private channel. Some more research and possibly questions in the developers forum would make you much more familiar with the process.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

bexn
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 am

I wrote to NFB about creating an official channel shortly after I posted the request here. At that time, they were not considering creating a channel for the Roku like they had the Boxee Box because the Roku wasn't available in Canada. Hasn't that changed? It may be worth contacting them again. If they work like other organizations, the more people who request a channel, the more likely one will be created. At the moment, only GoogleTV, LG Smart TVs and Samsung Smart TVs are supported.

While you're waiting for an official channel, The Nowhereman added NFB's RSS feeds to its content two years ago so you can watch a limited amount of their videos that way.

Hope this helps!
Said goodbye to satellite in 2010 in favor of my Rokus, HTPC & OTA. It's the only way to fly! Member of Amazon Prime & DramaFever since 2011, Hulu Plus since 2010 and Netflix since 2009. Less expensive & better quality entertainment!

mogamer

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 pm

bexn wrote:
I wrote to NFB about creating an official channel shortly after I posted the request here. At that time, they were not considering creating a channel for the Roku like they had the Boxee Box because the Roku wasn't available in Canada.

Well, it looks like you can buy them in Canada. Roku sells them through their website at least.

http://www.roku.com/ca

bexn
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 pm

mogamer wrote:
Well, it looks like you can buy them in Canada. Roku sells them through their website at least.

I'll dig up their response and write back. Please be sure to use the contact form to request the channel, too. :-)

Dick Drivel

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:57 am

Unless I've misunderstood what the poster is asking for, NFB has been available on NowhereTV for a month or so already.
If you don't have NowhereTV install it from here:
http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-private- ... hread.html
In NowhereTV scroll down to *Education and culture*, scroll to the right to the green NFBONF, et voila!
You can also add this icon to your Nowhere favorites.
IMHO NowhereTV is still one of the best things on Roku.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 am

flower Drivel wrote:
et voila!

I see what you did thar! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, contacting potential channel creators is the best and fastest way to get a channel integrated with the Roku "officially."

And in my opinion, the more the merrier!

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

bexn
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 am

flower Drivel wrote:
Unless I've misunderstood what the poster is asking for, NFB has been available on NowhereTV for a month or so already.

Actually, it's been available on NowhereTV for over two years. I requested it around the same time I posted a request for an official channel and RokuChris was kind enough to add it at that time.

As I pointed out in my original response, NowhereTV only makes the RSS feeds available. A channel from NFB would likely make the rest of its content available like they do on iOS.

I do use NFB on NowhereTV but given the choice, I'd much prefer an official channel that has more content available. That's just me, however. Others may be fine with only the RSS content and that's OK, too. I imagine it depends upon your viewing habits. I watch the channel frequently and keep up with NFB's newsletters. Unfortunately, not everything they recommend is available in the feeds.

IMHO NowhereTV is still one of the best things on Roku.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! NowhereTV is one of the most used channels on my Roku. RokuChris did a fantastic job with it along with the other private channels he wrote. I especially like that you can add external content to the Favorites, as long as Roku supports it. If you're curious what other content is available, click on this link to bring you to a page that lists all current content. RokuChris keeps the list up-to-date.

I've always thought it's a shame that NowhereTV is not an official channel. I do realize that Roku Newscaster is the official version and NowhereTV is Roku Newscaster on steroids but I still wish it were an official channel. It has so much to offer to every group, not just "news geeks," and I think people end up missing out because they don't realize it's available or those that do, don't realize what content is available and that you can add your own.

I remember when Roku used to advertise the private YouTube channel (no longer available for install) on their website. If they don't already do the same for NowhereTV, I wish they would. Maybe they could offer a choice between Roku Newscaster and NowhereTV when customers first set up their Rokus via the web?

I'll stop there. This is supposed to be a topic about an NFB channel after all! :-)
Last edited by bexn on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

bexn
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 am

bexn wrote:
mogamer wrote:

I'll dig up their response and write back. Please be sure to use the contact form to request the channel, too. :-)

mogamer, I sent a follow-up mail and will let you know what NFB's response is.

As as FYI, here's the response I received from NFB when I made the request a couple of years ago:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Subject: NFB - Information on our platforms
To: <deleted>

Hello <deleted>,

Thank you for your feedback on our website!

At the moment, Roku is not available in Canada, and since we are a federal organization, we cater to Canadian citizens first. If Roku does eventually become available here, it will be amongst our development goals to make our site Roku-friendly.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further questions or comments.

Regards,
Jolène Lessard

Service à la clientèle / Customer Services
Office national du film du Canada / National Film Board of Canada
3155, chemin Côte-de-Liesse, Montréal, Qc H4N 2N4/3155 Côte-de-Liesse Road, Montreal, Qc H4N 2N4
client@onf.ca / client@nfb.ca
Téléphone / Telephone: 514-283-9000 / 1-800-542-2164
Télécopieur / Facsimile: 514-283-7564
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
http://www.onf.ca / http://www.nfb.ca
PENSEZ à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel | PLEASE consider the environment before printing this email

Let's hope they still feel the same way!

bexn
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

bexn wrote:
mogamer, I sent a follow-up mail and will let you know what NFB's response is.

I heard back; they're working on a channel!

Date: February 1, 2013, 10:17:30 AM PST
To: <deleted>
Subject: RE: NFB - Information on our platforms

Hello <deleted>,

I’ve just had a confirmation form our IT department that they are presently working on developing for Roku and that it should be made available in 2013 ; I unfortunately do not have a precise date to inform you of.

Please stay tuned!

Regards,

Jolène Lessard
Service à la clientèle / Customer Services
Office national du film / National Film Board
3155, chemin Côte-de-Liesse, Montréal, Qc H4N 2N4/3155 Côte-de-Liesse Road, Montreal, Qc H4N 2N4
jo.lessard@onf.ca / jo.lessard@nfb.ca
Téléphone / Telephone: 514-283-4073 / 1-800-267-7710
Télécopieur / Facsimile: 514-283-7564
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
http://www.onf.ca / http://www.nfb.ca

PENSEZ à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel | PLEASE consider the environment before printing this email

Woohoo!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

kc8pql

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 am

The next question. Will it be Canada only?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

bexn
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:09 pm

kc8pql wrote:
The next question. Will it be Canada only?

I would be surprised if it were. Their other apps/channels for NFB Films aren't. A couple of their other apps do have a Canadian and International version. See http://www.nfb.ca/apps/.

I have the NFB Films app installed on my iPhone and iPad as well as The Test Tube with David Suzuki. I used to have the app installed on my Boxee Box, too (I think that platform is now dead). I really think international customers will be OK like they currently are with all of their NFB Films phone, tablet and smart TV apps. I wonder if any of their other apps will be made available on the Roku?

jvopal

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks all for looking into getting full-fledged NFB channel on Roku. I just bought new Roku and was looking to find easier ways to watch NFB movies via Roku.