Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

montyz114

Re: USTVNow

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 am

dividebyzer0 wrote:
I suppose the guards at Guantanamo Bay might like this (if Roku were supported there.)
the roku player works fine outside the us

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 am

montyz114, I see delays on several of the free channels. (I haven't purchased the upper channels yet.) I suspect that USTVNow servers are fairly meager compared to those of, e.g., Netflix and Amazon, who presumably use some kind of network enhancements or mirrors, such as something like Akamai, because they never at any time have so much as hiccuped on me (even while I was still on 768 Kbps Road Runner Lite before just this week upgrading to 1.5 Mbps RR Basic).

Would you please come back and describe exactly what USTVNow's "DVR" problems are in more detail? (Prospective customers need to know.) Thanks!
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

montyz114

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 am

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
montyz114, I see delays on several of the free channels. (I haven't purchased the upper channels yet.) I suspect that USTVNow servers are fairly meager compared to those of, e.g., Netflix and Amazon, who presumably use some kind of network enhancements or mirrors, such as something like Akamai, because they never at any time have so much as hiccuped on me (even while I was still on 768 Kbps Road Runner Lite before just this week upgrading to 1.5 Mbps RR Basic).

Would you please come back and describe exactly what USTVNow's "DVR" problems are in more detail? (Prospective customers need to know.) Thanks!
on the webplayer you can watch the whole show you have recorded but on the roku channel it only grabs half of the program i.e i dvr v on abc on the webplayer i could watch the full program but on the roku player only the 1st 31mis of it i have dvr 3 more shows and it the same

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:37 pm

^ Thanks for the scoop on the "DVR" problems, montyz114. Since you're a paying customer, I hope you'll open a problem ticket on the USTVNow bug report webpage. The "DVR" aspect is decisively important to me as a prospective customer, and if it doesn't work, then that's a deal-breaker for me. Please keep us apprised here in this thread with whatever comes of this.
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

tekpedia

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:16 pm

There are ways around the US IP issue. I found an article on a site called miniprox.com

Here are the instructions:

How to add the USTVNow for the Roku in the US.
>
> 1.) Add the channel at https://owner.roku.com/add/USTVNOW
>
> 2.) Go to http://miniprox.com/ (this is a proxy to sign-up for the service)
>
> 3.) Type ustvnow.com in the "Enter URL" box
>
> 4.) Then create an account.
>
> 5.) Check your email and confirm the account.
>
> 6.) Go to the USTVNow on the Roku and get your linking code
>
> 7.) Next link the Roku at http://www.ustvnow.com/roku
>
> That's it. You will now be able to watch ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW and PBS for
free. There are other pay options available for more channels.

At the price they are charging, it may negate any savings on cable cutting. But I checked out the free channels and the stream seems pretty good, better than some YouTube quality I have seen.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:37 pm

tekpedia wrote:
There are ways around the US IP issue. I found an article on a site called miniprox.com...

That doesn't solve the problem if they're filtering IP addresses of the Roku itself.

That said, their prices are MORE than cable, and from what I've heard, the streaming isn't great. Why not just get cable? As much as I like to talk about the Roku and all it can do, cable's consistent quality generally can't be beat.

SuetyStanes

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 am

tekpedia wrote:
>
> That's it. You will now be able to watch ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW and PBS for
free. There are other pay options available for more channels.

Man, they already are. And in much better quality, with just an antenna (and I guess with a converter box if you have an older t.v.)

At the price they are charging, it may negate any savings on cable cutting. But I checked out the free channels and the stream seems pretty good, better than some YouTube quality I have seen.

That's why this service is so silly to use within the US.

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 am

SuetyStanes, I understand your point, but what tekpedia meant by "There are other pay options available for more channels," he was referring to the Basic Cable-only channels (not broadcast), viz., A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discover Channel, ESPN, Food Network, FX, History, Lifetime, Syfy, TBS, TNT, USA....
But you are indubitably correct about the broadcast channels.

Because of the unreliability of USTVNow streaming, I've abandoned hope of using it for the free channels (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS), but I must say that this unemployed poster has incurred a considerable expense buying a couple of converter boxes for my TiVos, a DB-8 antenna, cables, preamp, etc., and I really wish USTVNow would have worked for this cable-cutter!
– –

SuetyStanes

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:16 am

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
SuetyStanes, I understand your point, but what tekpedia meant by "There are other pay options available for more channels," he was referring to the Basic Cable-only channels (not broadcast), viz., A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discover Channel, ESPN, Food Network, FX, History, Lifetime, Syfy, TBS, TNT, USA....
But you are indubitably correct about the broadcast channels.

And I'm fully aware of that. If you notice, in the same breath, he says "At the price they are charging, it may negate any savings on cable cutting."

Because of the unreliability of USTVNow streaming, I've abandoned hope of using it for the free channels (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS), but I must say that this unemployed poster has incurred a considerable expense buying a couple of converter boxes for my TiVos, a DB-8 antenna, cables, preamp, etc., and I really wish USTVNow would have worked for this cable-cutter!

It certainly depends on your situation, and whether you got the coupon for a converter box when it was available, but it's still a pretty cheap option for many. Not free like on USTVNow maybe, but as has been previously stated, the quality is so poor, the only real reason to use the channel is if you're outside the US as intended. Besides, who wants to watch the local news from another location? Novel for a while, but...

RokuPatrick

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:18 am

A reminder, this is not the place for discussion about how one might get around geographic restrictions, IE proxies.

tekpedia

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:37 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Their website is setting off all sorts of alarms for me. It's also supposed to be only for US citizens, and only while abroad (as per the following in their registration):

I am an American citizen (by birth or naturalization) and hold a United States passport or ‘Green Card’ for permanent residence. I understand that USTVNow’s Internet content is available, at this time, only to US citizens and residents while they are in foreign countries. I promise and warrant that my use of USTVNow is and will be consistent with this limitation.

To the best of my knowledge, no TV agreements that those stations might be making with a random internet provider would require citizenship - that's absurd. Second, none of the cable stations seem in on the whole thing from their side. Third, the grammar and design on the site is poor, and that's typically a sign that the company might not be up to the level of what's needed to negotiate streaming TV contracts from every major network in the US (when those channels don't stream to ANYONE ELSE, because they CAN'T).

I'm not sure if they're skirting the system by being offshore, or if they're just too small to have been shut down. But I'm betting it's one or the other.

I think the issue is that you are skirting the payment of state and federal taxes as you do with your cable or sat. provider.

mommom

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Let me just say I tried it several weeks ago and it was not the best,my OTA beat it hands down,I removed it.But if I was traveling over seas it could be good,if I was traveling and staying long term with family,I could see,say,a businessman living in Tokyo with the family for a while using the bundled services to keep the family happy.

montyz114

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:51 am

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
^ Thanks for the scoop on the "DVR" problems, montyz114. Since you're a paying customer, I hope you'll open a problem ticket on the USTVNow bug report webpage. The "DVR" aspect is decisively important to me as a prospective customer, and if it doesn't work, then that's a deal-breaker for me. Please keep us apprised here in this thread with whatever comes of this.

With in 24hrs of there reply the dvr problem on the roku has been fixed as i need the dvr becasue of the primetime shows are on in the early hours of the morrning over here

kaylus

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:37 am

I received a response that they've updated the servers supplying the streams and have not had many issues since then. It's not HD quality but it's pretty good -- I've gotten better streams on some of the LiveTV channels thru Playon on Roku, but that plugin itself is pretty flaky -- as are the channel streams (sometimes not there).

mellomommy

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:16 pm

Persy wrote:
I just recently signed up for USTVNOW and I signed up for the ALL Plans+DVD...the $49 plan.

I have to say that the quality is quite good and so far it has worked flawlessly and yes I AM IN the US.

The ONLY SS part I had to give was the FIRST 5 digits...not ALL

As people have pointed out 99.99% of companies that ask for a portion of your social security number ask for the last 4 digits. I'd be very wary of someone asking for the 1st 5. Because of the frequency in which the last 4 digits are used for identity verification it is pretty easy to obtain those. You give someone the 1st 5 and they can very easily have your whole social security number on top of your credit card number, name, etc. and whatever other info you gave. Even if a company is not scamming people it is possible that a customer service person may be collecting info for their own illegal use.