Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vmps

Re: Food For Thought, Cord Cutters

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 pm

robertm wrote:
Cute. i never said this was the end of civilization. I guess you need it to be that drastic because you have a dog in this fight.

yes, that was shorthand for "oh no the internets won't work any more" or "oh no there won't be any tv shows" or "oh no all the tv shows will look bad" or whatever other horrible hypothetical outcome will result from people dropping cable. no dogs in the fight, just amused that people get so attached to mindless entertainment. as I posted before, I couldn't care less whether other people keep paying for cable or not, and in the event that streaming costs go nuts the way cable costs have, I'll just read more books.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:25 pm

I personally *like* ghosthunters, whether it costs $200 to produce or not ;)

robertm

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:47 pm

vmps wrote:
robertm wrote:
Cute. i never said this was the end of civilization. I guess you need it to be that drastic because you have a dog in this fight.

yes, that was shorthand for "oh no the internets won't work any more" or "oh no there won't be any tv shows" or "oh no all the tv shows will look bad" or whatever other horrible hypothetical outcome will result from people dropping cable. no dogs in the fight, just amused that people get so attached to mindless entertainment. as I posted before, I couldn't care less whether other people keep paying for cable or not, and in the event that streaming costs go nuts the way cable costs have, I'll just read more books.

Where did I say the internet won't work anymore? I said it can't handle the traffic now. Advancements are always coming though. Where did I say there won't be TV shows anymore? I said there is no solution to replacing original cable content at this time. Until there is an alternative encouraging people to cut their cord may be biting the hand that feeds you cheap content.

In my many years the cost of entertainment has only ever increased. I see no reason to think streaming will change that much, if any. The money still has to come from somewhere. If it is not going to be substantially cheaper it seems stupid to re-invent the wheel.

robertm

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
I personally *like* ghosthunters, whether it costs $200 to produce or not ;)

I like many cheap shows too. I watch several survival type shows like Out of the Wild and The Colony. That doesn't mean I want to give up Eureka and Psych though.

vmps

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:52 pm

robertm wrote:
Where did I say the internet won't work anymore? I said it can't handle the traffic now.

Works great for me, and a lot of other people. Some providers seem to have issues, hopefully they'll catch up.

In my many years the cost of entertainment has only ever increased. I see no reason to think streaming will change that much, if any.

I guess you haven't heard of $1 music tracks. Studios said music couldn't be made without $20 albums, now it is. And when was the last time you paid a hundred bucks for a movie on VHS or Beta?

West Ham

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 pm

vmps wrote:

I guess you haven't heard of $1 music tracks. Studios said music couldn't be made without $20 albums, now it is.

Music is NOT making money. Itunes and it's pricing are killing the music industry.

mikebdoss

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 pm

West Ham wrote:
vmps wrote:

I guess you haven't heard of $1 music tracks. Studios said music couldn't be made without $20 albums, now it is.

Music is NOT making money. Itunes and it's pricing are killing the music industry.

It's true. Look at all the poor record executives begging for change on Hollywood Boulevard, and the total lack of any new artists in the last few years! There's nothing left on the radio!

Snark mode disengaged. But back to the point: unlike television, musicians can successfully (and fairly easily) record, produce and distribute their music, and get it right to me. Let the music industry die. It's never been good for music. But that said, just because it isn't raping consumers for as much anymore doesn't mean that it's not making money.

stratcat96

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:24 pm

West Ham wrote:
vmps wrote:

Ultimately the record companies get their pound of flesh to recoup the costs of recording, publishing, and videos, etc. by merchandising, marketing, and the touring of the artist. Basically the artist has to work to pay them back those costs.

robertm

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

vmps wrote:
robertm wrote:
Where did I say the internet won't work anymore? I said it can't handle the traffic now.

Works great for me, and a lot of other people. Some providers seem to have issues, hopefully they'll catch up.

In my many years the cost of entertainment has only ever increased. I see no reason to think streaming will change that much, if any.

I guess you haven't heard of $1 music tracks. Studios said music couldn't be made without $20 albums, now it is. And when was the last time you paid a hundred bucks for a movie on VHS or Beta?

1) The internet cannot handle that kind of traffic it would take to stream to 120+ million homes. The only reason why your experience has been fine is because so far the adoption rate of streaming has been manageable.

2) $1 per track is still substantially higher that it used to be. For older music it is highway robbery. What we have done is gotten rid of the bargain bin where you could get a whole album for a couple of bucks. It may be that new releases are cheaper than a few years back but the overall cost of music is higher.

I never paid a hundred bucks for a movie. If you want to win the point by using pre-normalized pricing go ahead. Everyone else knows what I meant.

West Ham

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

It's true. Look at all the poor record executives begging for change on Hollywood Boulevard, and the total lack of any new artists in the last few years! There's nothing left on the radio!

So because records execs are rich the people they employ are also rich? Here I thought the people who worked at Walmart were all living paycheck to paycheck but apparently they are all rich. Quantity does not mean quality. Music sales have been cut by more than half in the past 10 years.

How many of the new artists on the radio are you going to hear about 1 year down the road? Itunes has brought us the 1 track record. There is no incentive to write complete albums because no one is going to buy them.

Not sure why you are trying to argue against the facts

mikebdoss

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm

West Ham wrote:

So because records execs are rich the people they employ are also rich? Here I thought the people who worked at Walmart were all living paycheck to paycheck but apparently they are all rich. Quantity does not mean quality. Music sales have been cut by more than half in the past 10 years.

How many of the new artists on the radio are you going to hear about 1 year down the road? Itunes has brought us the 1 track record. There is no incentive to write complete albums because no one is going to buy them.

How are retail employees in the "music industry"? Record executives don't employ them.

My point is that music is alive and well. There is absolutely no shortage of music out there, and musicians never really made money "in the industry" - the labels who exploited them did. If those labels die, great. I listen to some pop acts, a lot of rock acts from the last 30 years, and new and old singer/songwriters. Between friend recommendations and internet radio, I'm not having any issue finding new music. And thanks to the internet, I can pay many artists directly for their music, cutting out the middle man and actually doing MORE for the musicians I like.

And what's the problem with the 1-track purchase? I love not being forced (most of the time) to buy a whole album when I know about 1 song I like. In the past, unless I knew I liked the whole album, I'd just not buy it at all. Even with that, most musicians, on labels and truly independent, still record/release albums.

stratcat96

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:36 pm

West Ham wrote:

The music industry has always been a business (out to make money), but in the last few decades it has changed dramatically. You won't hear about new artists on the radio a year from now because record companies get any idea of what sells and they mass produce it until the public's tastes change (again) and they move on to the next money-making gravy train. There hasn't been interest in signing artists with real potential and working with them over time because the focus is not on longevity, or "artistry", its number one about making money. I read an article about the industry and they made the statement that the Beatles wouldn't even have been signed today. Basically its the teenagers and tweens that have the most disposable income (their parents') to buy the merchandise and go to the concerts for Justin Bieber and the like. If that's the case, of course the industry will target them. Musical artistry is not a moneymaker, that's why pop music is for the kids (and record companies) and the indie and other non-pop genres (blues, jazz, etc etc etc) are for the artists.

robertm

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:06 pm

The music industry has all but lost me. I have very few songs in my playlist in which the release year starts with a 2. I am sure there is still some good things being produced but I don't feel like hunting for them anymore. In my day you had trusted artists that you could almost always count on. Now it feels like finding a needle in a haystack.

Pop music is about like country. There are a few songs I like but mostly it is trash. I don't think I am that hard to please. I like classical, love jazz, classic rock, some blues, just about everything from the rat pack (individually or as a group), Gospel, some contemporary Christian, r&b, and I am a sucker for A capella. I really only hate rap, 99.9 percent of country and pop, and 99.999999 percent of bluegrass (I like one bluegrass song).

mommom

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Their is nothing wrong with shows like Ghosthunters.Its just not for me,I guess.It would be at home on YouTube too.Heck,DH loves Jerry Springer and Maury.To each his own.That is the beauty of streaming.We each can watch our own.

vmps

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 am

West Ham wrote:
vmps wrote:

hahahaha. if you believe the music industry execs, they've never, ever, in the history of recording, had an album make a profit. AND their profits are down due to piracy/streaming/apple/vampires/demons/whatever. yet people keep singing, and the execs keep making their rent.