Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robertm

Re: Food For Thought, Cord Cutters

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:19 pm

vmps wrote:
robertm wrote:
You want to paint me as preaching doom and gloom but all I am really saying is shouldn't we see how they will pay for new original content before grabbing our friends and neighbors and serving them the kool-aide?

I give up, you're right. I will immediately start lying to my friends and family and tell them that they absolutely must pay a cable bill, that I have not cut my cable, and that I couldn't possibly live without cable. I don't mind lying about my experiences to please you. Happy? Good, let's kill the thread.

lol. You are cracking me up.

Outside of this forum I don't think I have had a discussion with anyone about their cable bill in at least 12 months, maybe more. Most of the time it is about switching from one service to another. My friends and I are obviously not as passionate about this issue as you are. It is just TV entertainment. Is it a subject that comes up all the time for you?

ABQSteve

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 am

matt47 wrote:
Hey ABQ Steve I hate to let ya down but there isnt espn 3 on Roku. At least not yet. And I am sure even if it does get it you will still have to have one of the required internet providers. I have a 360 too and its such a tease always having to see that espn3 channel that I cant watch. Sports is the absolute only reason I still have cable. The Nfl package is rumored to be on set top boxes next season so if that happens that would probably be the tipping point for me.

I know it's not, Matt, but you have to expect it's coming. Like you, live sports is the only reason I still have DirecTV . . . and if I still lived where I could watch my favorite (Chicago) teams daily, then cutting off cable or DirecTV would not be an option. The availability of MLB.TV is MY tipping point . . . I hope the quality is OK.

robertm

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:50 am

ABQSteve wrote:
matt47 wrote:
Hey ABQ Steve I hate to let ya down but there isnt espn 3 on Roku. At least not yet. And I am sure even if it does get it you will still have to have one of the required internet providers. I have a 360 too and its such a tease always having to see that espn3 channel that I cant watch. Sports is the absolute only reason I still have cable. The Nfl package is rumored to be on set top boxes next season so if that happens that would probably be the tipping point for me.

I know it's not, Matt, but you have to expect it's coming. Like you, live sports is the only reason I still have DirecTV . . . and if I still lived where I could watch my favorite (Chicago) teams daily, then cutting off cable or DirecTV would not be an option. The availability of MLB.TV is MY tipping point . . . I hope the quality is OK.

A number of us emailed the NFL rewind service last year about coming to the roku. I don't know about anyone else but I never got a response. I have no idea how the directTV service will work. I know the NFL is requiring them to be available for streaming but I am sure they will find a way to cut down on the number of people who can use it.