Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

-LD

Re: EyeTV

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Well. Bummer.

Can you add a quality option to the app somehow? I have to imagine it's a web service call or something that sends back the bitrate as they do offer a web app.

-LD

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:34 pm

You can change it on the Mac side. There is a file in the resource bundle for the Live 3G web server called main.js.

Look for:
getStreamQuality:function(){var aj=parseInt(af.streamQuality);if(!aj||(aj<80)||(aj>y)){af.streamQuality=320}return(af.streamQuality)}

320 Kbps is the default. However you can set this to whatever (800 is max). I found that 540 was about the max my Mini could handle. It gives very good picture quality.

A turbo.264 HD would definitely make this less resource intensive.

RokuChris
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:57 pm

How did you come up with 800 as a max? The slider in the web interface goes up to 2mbps and I've successfully pulled streams upwards of 3mbps from my beat up old MacBook with a 2.0GHz Core2 Duo.

-LD

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 am

http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m= ... cleid=3704

Maybe it's a limit of the software renderer. I dunno.

RokuChris
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:43 am

Weird, that's just not true. Maybe they need to update that page. The slider actually goes up to 2mbps and I can easily get higher bitrates out of it with no hardware acceleration. My guess is that adding a Turbo.264 HD would not necessarily get you higher bitrates, but would take the load off your CPU and enable adaptive streaming.

corypina

Sat May 14, 2011 2:19 pm

I read that iPad export from EyeTV will shoot out 720p, which (I'm assuming) would give better picture quality.

I tried this, and NowhereDVR said I needed iPhone export. Is there a way to test it with iPad export?

RokuChris
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2011 2:37 pm

corypina wrote:
I read that iPad export from EyeTV will shoot out 720p, which (I'm assuming) would give better picture quality.

I tried this, and NowhereDVR said I needed iPhone export. Is there a way to test it with iPad export?

I think you're confusing iPhone export with iPhone access. Export encodes a recording and adds it to your iTunes library. That's different from preparing a recording for iPhone access.

There is an option in the EyeTV preferences to prepare recordings for iPad/iPhone/iPod and if you set that to iPad, Nowhere DVR will find the iPad prepared recordings. However, in my tests, recordings prepared for iPad are 4:3 to match the iPad's screen, so they will be pillar-boxed on an HDTV.

HooliganHarls

Sun May 15, 2011 5:21 am

fyi, i was able to up my late 2009 mini with 4gb ram up to 16000 quality. looked mostly pretty good.

cfriedberg

Wed May 25, 2011 1:49 pm

This is a really terrific private channel. Kudos to the developer...would be terrific if the EyeTV channel guide was able to be pulled in, although I realize the GUI limitations of the Roku may prevent this. Either way superb job...huge thanks!

EDIT: I use the HDHomeRun with EyeTV software all on a gigabit ethernet network...would be great if the quality of the stream could be improved...

artroy5

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Does the EyeTV channel work with the HDHomeRun?

RokuChris
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:37 pm

artroy5 wrote:

The channel never communicates directly with the tuner. The EyeTV software acts as mediator, so it should work with any tuner that's compatible with EyeTV.

The post right above yours was made by someone using an HDHomeRun, so I think it's safe to say it will work. 8)

artroy5

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:50 pm

RokuChris wrote:
artroy5 wrote:

The channel never communicates directly with the tuner. The EyeTV software acts as mediator, so it should work with any tuner that's compatible with EyeTV.

The post right above yours was made by someone using an HDHomeRun, so I think it's safe to say it will work. 8)

Thanks for the quick answer. Oops, yeah sorry I see that post now. When I was typing my question I was more wondering if the EyeTV channel would communicate directly with the HDHomeRun. But if I understand your answer correctly I would still need a Mac in the middle running the EyeTV software.

Thanks Again!

cjacoby78

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:55 am

Hi,

I just installed your private EyeTV channel on my Roku XDS, however it can't find my EyeTV server. I have tried all sort of things, iPhone access is enabled with and without passcode, any clues?

Thanks!
CJ

RokuChris
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:02 am

cjacoby78 wrote:
I just installed your private EyeTV channel on my Roku XDS, however it can't find my EyeTV server. I have tried all sort of things, iPhone access is enabled with and without passcode, any clues?

If you have an iOS device, you can try accessing EyeTV with it to see if the problem is with the Roku channel or with your EyeTV setup.

The only two possible causes that jump to mind would be that the Mac and the Roku are not on the same subnet (unlikely). Or that your Mac's firewall is on and preventing the channel from connecting.

cjacoby78

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:46 am

It works on both my iPhone and my iPad, they find the server via Bonjour. The firewall on the server is switched off. There is no way, I guess, to enter the server's IP by hand? The Roku and the server are on the same subnet.

Plex for instance works (you may know that there is a private channel for Plex).

Cheers,
CJ