Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuChris
Topic Author

Re: EyeTV

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Mac64 wrote:
I am trying to improve the quality of streaming and way back on I think the second page of this thread it talks about changing default values in a file called main.js for the life of menu can't find that file.
If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

For live streaming, you can adjust the bitrate from the channel using the * button on the remote.

Mac64

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Awesome thanks for the rely apologies for the dumb question.

The channel is great. Nice work.

rob2282

Wed May 22, 2013 6:17 am

Having an issue with quality using this on my Roku 3. The live TV quality is very poor. both my Roku and my late 2012 Core i7 mac mini are hardwired. I use the * key and choose the highest 2MB bit rate but the quality does not change it is still very poor. Does anyone have any ideas?

erserge

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:17 pm

rob2282 wrote:
Having an issue with quality using this on my Roku 3. The live TV quality is very poor. both my Roku and my late 2012 Core i7 mac mini are hardwired. I use the * key and choose the highest 2MB bit rate but the quality does not change it is still very poor. Does anyone have any ideas?

First thanks for your awesome channel! I have this same problem with my roku 2 xs...

pvoris

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:40 pm

I have a question about Nowhere DVR as relates to file storage.

As I see it, when I export for iphone, the MPEG2 file (.eyetv) in my eyetv archive directory is converted to iphone or ipad format. This process exports it into the iTunes directory tree. When I view a show on NowhereDVR, I presume I am viewing the mp4/m4v file in the iTunes directory. However, in order for NowhereDVR to know that there is a show in iTunes, there must also be an MPEG2 file for the show in the eyetv archive directory. I gather this has something to do with the way that the native eyetv server is leveraged.

Now, I know that I can use plex or to view the shows in iTunes. And that's probably the most space-efficient way to go [storage being the matter that brought this to my attention]. Is there any way to use the nowhereDVR to see the files in iTunes without a corresponding MPEG?

Best to you, Chris, for the great work on this project.

P

RokuChris
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:01 pm

pvoris wrote:
I have a question about Nowhere DVR as relates to file storage.

As I see it, when I export for iphone, the MPEG2 file (.eyetv) in my eyetv archive directory is converted to iphone or ipad format. This process exports it into the iTunes directory tree. When I view a show on NowhereDVR, I presume I am viewing the mp4/m4v file in the iTunes directory. However, in order for NowhereDVR to know that there is a show in iTunes, there must also be an MPEG2 file for the show in the eyetv archive directory. I gather this has something to do with the way that the native eyetv server is leveraged.

Now, I know that I can use plex or to view the shows in iTunes. And that's probably the most space-efficient way to go [storage being the matter that brought this to my attention]. Is there any way to use the nowhereDVR to see the files in iTunes without a corresponding MPEG?

Best to you, Chris, for the great work on this project.

P

Short answer, no.

The Roku is not playing the iTunes export, in fact you don't have to export the video at all for it to work with Nowhere DVR. You have to prepare it for iOS. Exporting and preparing are different things in EyeTV. The prepared file lives inside the .eyetv package with the MPEG2.

pvoris

Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Groovy! Thanks, Chris!

I should do a comparison to see what difference in size this sidecar data accounts for.

sfatula

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm

When I hit * on the Roku remote, I see options for audio and CC, but, nothing for quality. Has this perhaps been removed?

Adjusting it from EyeTV via the web interface does nothing for nowhereman Roku app. 

Would love to see if the quality can be upped, but can't see where.

EyeTV is using around 20% of one core only, so, lots of room to go faster.