Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dohcacr
Topic Author

Rebuffering Channel Store Selections

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Let me start by saying I have 3mbps connection, and rarely have problems with Netflix streaming. The box usually streams at 4 dot quality. Sometimes it will step down to 3 dots, but the point is that it is actively selecting the speed. Streaming channel store selections seems to work differently. The streaming always starts at 4 dots, rather than sensing an appropriate speed, and rebuffers repeatedly, but never steps down the the quality to 3 dots. Is this normal? I can't get more than about 60 seconds of play without rebuffering.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Rebuffering Channel Store Selections

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:47 pm

dohcacr wrote:
Let me start by saying I have 3mbps connection, and rarely have problems with Netflix streaming. The box usually streams at 4 dot quality. Sometimes it will step down to 3 dots, but the point is that it is actively selecting the speed. Streaming channel store selections seems to work differently. The streaming always starts at 4 dots, rather than sensing an appropriate speed, and rebuffers repeatedly, but never steps down the the quality to 3 dots. Is this normal? I can't get more than about 60 seconds of play without rebuffering.

What do you mean by "channel store selections"? Do you just mean *other* chnnels besides Netflix that are problematic, and if so which ones?

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Switching to different quality encodings is possible only if the content provider has encoded in different bitrates like Netflix does. If there is only one (4 dot) stream available, then the player can only play that one and it won't be able to step down to a lower quality.

--Mark

dohcacr
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Yes, I mean anything other video selection than Netflix. Examples are Trigger Talk, Newscaster (NBC Nightly News). The point is though, that these selections always assume 4 dot quality, rather than sensing an appropriate speed/quality.

dohcacr
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 pm

RokuMarkn wrote:
Switching to different quality encodings is possible only if the content provider has encoded in different bitrates like Netflix does. If there is only one (4 dot) stream available, then the player can only play that one and it won't be able to step down to a lower quality.

--Mark

I guess that pretty well spells it out then. Guess I won't be spending much time watching channel store video. I have a rural AT&T DSL connection, and I'm lucky to get 3mbps. There is no option to increase the connection speed.

Thanks for the answer though. It's nice to know WHY, even if I can't do anything about it.

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Just to be clear, it's not the case that Netflix is the only channel that provides multiple bitrates. Other channels do too, but not all do.

--Mark