Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dehmann
Topic Author

Mount Roku Player to the back of the TV?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:03 pm

I'd like to attach or mount the Roku Player to the back of my TV. Is that possible? Maybe just using tape?

I don't have the roku yet, so I can't try it out. I just ordered a Sony KDL40EX40B TV, and I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of a completely uncluttered TV area, where only the TV is visible. (The TV is not wall-mounted though, and I don't want to wall-mount the Roku player either.)

The roku IR remote control might not work if the Roku is attached to the back of the TV, but I'm planning to use my Android phone to remote-control it. (That should work fine, right?)

jcmolet

Re: Mount Roku Player to the back of the TV?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:40 pm

I have a 32" LCD wall mounted TV in my kitchen area with a Roku secured to the wall behind it using velcro pads. The front of the Roku - the IR receptor- is positioned just below the top of the TV so it can't be seen yet still has no reception problems. And of course the Roku player is light enough so the velcro is more than strong enough. It all works out well as the outlet for the TV and Roku is hidden behind the TV and an 18" HDMI cable completes the installation.

The link is just an example of the sticky back velcro I am referring to. I believe my wife picked some up at Staples; however, you can find it at Walmart, Target or similar stores in the sewing department typically.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7 ... 2000000353

ApK

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:25 pm

jcmolet wrote:
The front of the Roku - the IR receptor- is positioned just below the top of the TV so it can't be seen yet still has no reception problems.

The IR sensor on the Roku is REALLY good. We can control it from our kitchen, bouncing the IR off two walls to an entertainment center about 20 feet away.
(Our Tivos are almost as good, but we have to stick our arm out the kitchen door, but for the TV itself, forget it, we need to be directly in front of it and have marksman-like aim right at it's sensor -- and this is all with the same Harmony remote.)

SuetyStanes

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 am

If you're planning to use an Android app, you shouldn't have any problems. I assume it's a wireless connection, so you'll probably want to go through setup with the Roku remote before mounting it, and hang onto the original remote.

bdfouhy

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:00 pm

That sounds like a great idea! I really like the clean, uncluttered look too. I might have to give that a try and switch to just using the Android remote app.

That's interesting that others seem to have such a great experience with the IR sensor on their Roku. Mine acts up quite often and I feel like I have to be right on target sometimes for it to work.

henrys

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Innovelis just rolled out a new product to address this problem. Their mounting kit is super easy to use (no tools needed) and it allows you to attach Roku to the back of any TV so that the Roku box doesn't clutter your entertainment area. Check it out on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/TotalMount-UNIVER ... 014&sr=8-2

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Double-sided tape or Velcro are much easier and much cheaper.

gearcrasher

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

The Innovelis mount in the Amazon ad seems in a bad place to me, near the upper vent of the TV where the heat would be coming out. I am kind of paranoid about making sure my electronics get plenty of ventalation anyway. My Roku1 is quite hot by itself right now. The Roku2s are not vented so maybe run cooler. Of all the electronics I have I think the Roku is the easiest on the eye!
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21

socantra

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:07 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

Yeah, but who would pay 20 bucks for some double sided tape or velcro. Maybe, if you put it in a pastic bag and called it something like......................SuperMount - ROKU UNIVERSAL MOUNTING KIT. :wink:
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:08 pm

I mounted mine under my old TV (front facing out), and it looked very stream-lined and professional. Now it's in my media cabinet, but most TVs have enough non-vent space to mount it with tape.

ApK

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm

socantra wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Yeah, but who would pay 20 bucks for some double sided tape or velcro. Maybe, if you put it in a pastic bag and called it something like......................SuperMount - ROKU UNIVERSAL MOUNTING KIT. :wink:

To be fair, the linked product appears to be a purely mechanical solution that hooks into the vent openings. A similar thing came with my satellite radio for mounting to an air vent in the car.
I like the approach better than applying disfiguring adhesives to my stuff, but for that kind of money, I'll have to adjust.
For those that pay hundreds of dollars for audiophile-grade knobs on their amplifiers, $20 probably seems like free.

socantra

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 pm

ApK wrote:
To be fair, the linked product appears to be a purely mechanical solution that hooks into the vent openings. A similar thing came with my satellite radio for mounting to an air vent in the car.
I like the approach better than applying disfiguring adhesives to my stuff, but for that kind of money, I'll have to adjust.
For those that pay hundreds of dollars for audiophile-grade knobs on their amplifiers, $20 probably seems like free.

To be fair, for those who pay hundreds of dollars for audio-grade knobs on their amplifiers, covering up the vents on the back of your TV probably sounds like a really bad idea.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

ApK

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:36 pm

socantra wrote:
To be fair, for those who pay hundreds of dollars for audio-grade knobs on their amplifiers, covering up the vents on the back of your TV probably sounds like a really bad idea.

Hmm. Perhaps it could be pitched as "enhanced airflow management."