Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RWatson

Re: Can I use internet and Roku at the same time

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:49 pm

If it works for your ISP and is cheaper, get 6 meg connection. That will almost certainly work perfectly for you. Since you say it's available you can always go to a higher speed if necessary. Most home routers come with wireless connection anyway and they are fairly cheap. You should get a wireless version because it means you can add wireless later, etc. That being said, if possible, anything you can wire directly to the router, you should. Wireless connections can be flaky some time and using a wired connection takes away that variable. The Cisco-Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router should work fine for you. You don't really need a N router, but it is the current latest thing. Wherever you buy it, make sure you can take it back, no questions asked, if it doesn't work.

Illustratedman

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:22 pm

The best thing to do is to visit the AntennaWeb website:

http://www.antennaweb.org/

Click on "Choose an antenna", plug in your address or zip code and see what TV stations are in your location and on what bands UHF and VHF.

gnonny11

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:22 pm

mellowcalico, it might be worth checking with your ISP regarding a router in case they will supply one. Before we got Roku, we never had a router. Never needed one before! I thought I was going to have to go out and buy one, but then decided to call our ISP (Comcast in our case). I got a very helpful service rep on the line. They shipped a router right out to me, and the only charge to our bill was a one time $1.99 "service fee". Free shipping even. Of course the router belongs to Comcast and would go back to them were we to ever switch providers. Ymmv, but yeah, worth checking out with your ISP before purchasing a router.
Roku 4320x>HDMI<SonyBravia55//Ethernet

RocknRoll

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:40 am

Good advice on antennaweb--thats the site.

You will probably find you need a uhf/vhf indoor antenna to get the digital OTA( over-the air) broadcasts. I bought some rabbit ears at amazon with a built in amplifier. I later went with a better antenna ,a TERK HDTVa and picked up more channels plus the other ones came in a lot better. It was less than $40 . No need to spend a lot of money and if you already have an old antenna still mounted its worth a try.

OTA plus ROKU is a beautiful thing. Can we say " no recurring charges?"

ApK

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 am

RocknRoll wrote:
OTA plus ROKU is a beautiful thing. Can we say " no recurring charges?"

Well, 'cept for Netflix, Hulu+, and any other premium content you might want on the Roku....