Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

otis151

Re: Netflix Down

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm

kc8pql wrote:
otis151 wrote:
I hope Netflix gives us all credit. Saturday night and now Tuesday night. Man Up Netflix.

They've given credit several times in the past when they've had wide spread outages.

Yes, I have gotten credits in the past and frankly the customer service has been exemplary. I found it strange that they had been so quiet after the Saturday outage.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm

otis151 wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
otis151 wrote:
I hope Netflix gives us all credit. Saturday night and now Tuesday night. Man Up Netflix.

They've given credit several times in the past when they've had wide spread outages.

Yes, I have gotten credits in the past and frankly the customer service has been exemplary. I found it strange that they had been so quiet after the Saturday outage.

Probably because they knew it wasn't fixed completely yet.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

tremor_tj

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:22 pm

For what it's worth, mine's all working now after a reboot of the Roku.

ravenous.dark

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Not working for me either, and honestly I'm not surprised.
After receiving my Roku box it worked flawlessly for about a month or two, and within the past month or so, the majority of the time netflix refuses to work (and yet other channels work fine)
Keep in mind this is with a perfectly adequate internet connection that can stream netflix to other devices without a hassle, after unlinking the player, doing a factory reset, re-linking the player, re-adding the channel, rebooting the router, and trying multiple free DNS alternatives along with my ISP's provided DNS.
With Netflix being Roku's flagship service, and the main reason I bought the device, I must say, I am very highly disappointed. Before I would have recommended it to others, but not so much now. If all the other channels work fine, I see no reason why the netflix shouldn't? I know the problem is not on my end. I have spent hours upon hours assuring that.
But looking back, if I could go back and spend that $60 I spent on the Roku HD towards another similar device, not Roku, I wouldn't hesitate. I can deal with a few problems every now and then, but the problems are constant, and it's to the point to where I turn it on and I actually expect Netflix NOT to work, and am surprised if it does.
With Netflix being my only subscription service, and not including a couple decent free channels such as YouTube and Crunchyroll, without Netflix the device is almost useless to me.

kc8pql

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 pm

ravenous.dark wrote:
If all the other channels work fine, I see no reason why the netflix shouldn't?

It's very simple actually. Netflix has been having server problems off and on since Christmas when everybody and his grandmother
got a brand new streaming device (AppleTV, blueray player, TV, Roku, and assorted toasters. refrigerators and water heaters).
Their CDN is overloaded and it's taking them a while to expand capacity. That's my explanation anyway.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mommom

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Netflix has technical problems and some people insist on blaming Roku .Pretty funny ,really.

A.J.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 am

mommom wrote:
Netflix has technical problems and some people insist on blaming Roku .Pretty funny ,really.

Yep, "Shoot the Messenger!", same old same old...

techmonkey

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 am

Ingulphus wrote:
Aside from NF, the Channel Store is also not loading for me tonight...

I had a slight problem as well with the channel store last night it loaded but was VERY slow to load.
1 ROKU HD-XR 2 ROKU XDS's

krisbee

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 am

It stinks, I wanted to watch a movie - but you know what - people are out of control here. My satellite goes out every hard rain (three times a year) - during the golden globes all local channels were down for three hours on satellite... these things happen on other technologies as well. My internet goes down once or twice a year... get over it! I'm cancelling due to a blip on ONE service... forget it.

Sure, I thought my roku was fried due to the channel store not working right - but once I thought that maybe it was tied into the netflix problem, I relaxed and found all the other channels worked fine that I had. So I watched some youtube, justin.tv, and pod tv. Spent time thinking about what channels I can get rid of since I was over 20 limit on the HD box. No biggie.

Yeah - a movie wasn't there when you wanted it - but this is no different than any other major service that goes down (like power NOT during a storm)... solved within hours (quicker turn around than I have had with other utilities)...

bcl

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:36 am

I've had Roku boxes since November of 2009. I can count the number of major outages I can remember on one hand.

Seriously, do you people have nothing else to do? Technology breaks sometimes, especially when you throw the internet into the mix.

For me I was able to play content from Amazon VoD (yay free streaming for Prime users), from Crackle (which I just discovered) and from my local server using Home Media Server. If all of that had failed I would have gone and read a book.

kc8pql

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 am

It's all pretty silly. Do these same people post rants on their TV manufacturers forums complaining when their sat. or cable goes out?

robertm

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 am

Some of you were going at it until the wee hours of the morning. I noticed it was down too but this stuff happens so I didn't bother to visit this forum at all last night.

This might be good news for those of us experiencing glitches over the last couple of months. They may have finally got everything fixed.

In any event, you can't rely solely on Netflix streaming or streaming at all. You should always have plans for interruptions of services or equipment failure.

stratcat96

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:11 am

alot of the moaning and groaning around here about every single thing that has a hiccup I think is because people are of the mindset that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease", but in reality it's just the "empty can that rattles the most"

robertm

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am

Alternatively, the complaining about complaining is always a welcome read.

stratcat96

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:19 am

robertm wrote:
Alternatively, the complaining about complaining is always a welcome read.

what an insightful interjection, thank you for sharing