Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

destruk

Re: Firmware update v2.9 build 1553

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:28 pm

TheEndless wrote:
destruk wrote:
homex5 up rew rew appears to have been removed from the current build for specifying a maximum bitrate.
and the channel store and netflix roku connection here is down for all servers again. Why are there more ROKU channel store servers listed as options when only one of them ever works?

I'm not sure what the code you posted does or doesn't do, but the hidden bitrate screen code is: Home x 5, Rew x 3, FFwd x 2

Thanks for the correction - I ran through all the codes and missed the bitrate one. In any case though, this dump core code doesn't appear to do anything.
Dump Core: Home 5x, Up, Rewind 2x
Page 18/20 of the Developer Guide 2.9 pdf

inquisitive

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 pm

rilex wrote:
I thought only Netflix respected the bitrate screen?

To be honest with you I didn't know that.

In my personal experience pre-update to v2.9/1553 no matter what channel my wife was watching, the rest of my wired network was not affected.
I still have it set to the same bitrate as before the update - 0.6 Mbps (analog/wired/N1100)

As a test I turned off adsl modem, router, roku, left them off for a few minutes and started adsl modem, then router (wait for it to log in/authenticate) then started roku, reaccess the bitrate window and set it back down to 0.6 Mbps and anytime any channel is being watched, Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, Crunchyroll, news, etc instant slowdown.

I have verified that the modem is connected at the appropriate speed, have run speed tests to double verify the connection before watching any content, and even run as an additional test a traceroute to a remote location (20ms avg - first few hops).. upon starting to watch any channel in roku, traceroute values increase to 500-700ms right at the 1,2,3rd hop etc., stop playing roku, instant drop down to 20ms.

This tells me that roku with the new firmware is ignoring the bitrate setting. I performed this test for each channel mentioned above and every single time received the same results.

Do the powers to be (ie. Roku techs) read this topic/forum? or must I submit a ticket? and if so where? - In more than 1yr of usage this is the first time I experience an issue (hence my low post count). :)

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:57 pm

inquisitive wrote:

This tells me that roku with the new firmware is ignoring the bitrate setting. I performed this test for each channel mentioned above and every single time received the same results.

Do the powers to be (ie. Roku techs) read this topic/forum? or must I submit a ticket? and if so where? - In more than 1yr of usage this is the first time I experience an issue (hence my low post count). :)

Take note that the bitrate screen and debugging is not a public feature. Roku considers it to be an engineering tool.
With the advent of live and variable bitrate streaming it's becoming obsolete.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

inquisitive

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 pm

How can one throttle Roku then to prevent it from taking over the network bandwidth?
This is not a problem if all we want to do is watch tv but imho the Roku device should play nice and not be a bandwidth hog.

destruk

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:31 pm

If your router has a QOS Policy settings page, then you can set the roku mac address priority to "low".
It doesn't allow you as much configuration there as the bitrate page does.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... 8qos%29%3F

inquisitive

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:33 pm

My router does not have QOS Policy - so this update has basically allowed my wife to take over the bandwidth lol

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:38 pm

inquisitive wrote:
My router does not have QOS Policy - so this update has basically allowed my wife to take over the bandwidth lol

what kind of bandwidth do you have? The only thing I could do so streaming didn't kill the internet was to get higher service

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:21 pm

inquisitive wrote:

Actually the setting still works on Amazon and Netflix. You are misinterpreting what the setting is for which is causing the confusion. The stream is set to be close to .6 which is about 2 dots. The box itself has unlimited bandwidth as always. What that means is that it will buffer at max speed, play the buffer out a bit, and do it again. In theory this could cause problem but in practice it will be temporary slow downs. Things like browsing the internet, reading email, etc shouldn't really be affected. Only when you happen to load a page when the box happens to need to buffer would you see a slow down and then it would just be a few seconds (assuming your speed is decent). With the bandwidth that low it shouldn't buffer very often anyway so when you do get the "slowdown" know it won't occur again for several minutes.

Short version, leaving it at .6 should free the network and reduce bandwidth but you will still see high speed use when a movie starts.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.