Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

manoflinux
Topic Author

How to stream anything on your hard drive to your roku

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:23 pm

EDIT: upon further testing I found if I removed the height width, fps and x264parameters, added this one --sout-x264-vbv-bufsize=10000 and set the VBR to 1536 instead of 256 it looks much better. I am still testing with a mix of DVDs and mp4 files.
EDIT: vb=1742 also seems to work since I have went wired over wireless. will keep trying to push it higher when I get a chance. also there seems to be an issue transcoding DTS audio in vlc but I need to investigate more before submitting a bug report.

How to stream anything on your hard drive to your roku, well anything vlc can read, which is pretty much anything.
These instructions are for a debian based linux. If you want windows instructions ask someone else.
You have to download the newest version of the vlc source to get HLS support.
apt-get remove vlc
apt-get build-dep vlc
git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git
cd vlc
./bootstrap && ./configure --enable-x264 && make

oh when compile vlc make sure you copy the vlc-wrapper program fron the bin directory into same directory as the compiled version of vlc. (usually cd bin; cp vlc-wrapper ..)
Now to the actual streaming.
This assumes assume the following:
The Web Server root directory is /var/www
The domain name of the web server is 192.168.250.24
The stream segments & index files will be written into /var/www/streaming/ and will be accessed via http://192.168.250.24/streaming/mystream.m3u8
The destination stream name index file will be called "mystream.m3u8"
vlc-wrapper --sout-x264-vbv-bufsize=10000 --mms-caching 0 -I http --http-host 192.168.250.24:8000 /home/myuser/somefile.avi  vlc://quit --sout='#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=1536,venc=x264,acodec=mp4a,ab=96}:std{access=livehttp{seglen=10,delsegs=false,numsegs=0,index=/var/www/streaming/mystream.m3u8,index-url=http://192.168.250.24/streaming/mystream-########.ts},mux=ts{use-key-frames},dst=/var/www/streaming/mystream-########.ts}'

Change the settings to reflect your ip addresses and you are set.
I also included the web interface on port 8000, with that enabled you can use one of the vlc remote control programs to add things to your playlist, pause, fast forward. You can also use the roku remote control to pause and fast forward etc, but you cant add things to your playlist. They have vlc remote programs for all the major smartphones. if your using a phone that doesn't have one, just use the web interface via your phones browser.
Last edited by manoflinux on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 am, edited 12 times in total.

dynamitemedia

Re: How to stream anything on your hard drive to your roku

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:50 pm

I will have a much easier way of doing this very soon, compiling VLC etc can be very hard for most people and will have a ready to go working product for everyone.

Mine will be on a windows machine however and can use VLC for some streaming but is not required any new or nightly builds.

anyone interested go to http://iptvmyway.com and register and i will get back to you with more info.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway

kumasuki

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:16 pm

dynamitemedia wrote:
can use VLC for some streaming but is not required any new or nightly builds.

Will HLS streams be supported?
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

dynamitemedia

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:21 pm

yes HLS is supported....

kstefanec

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Can't wait!

dynamitemedia

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Just so everyone knows, as i see my inbox here fill up...

Go ahead sign up at the site and I will send out a Email to everyone when it is ready, I expect to be ready for initial testing the middle of next week.

In the meantime also please Join us on twiends, its a free site to grow your social network (youtube, twitter and Facebook) thanks!!

http://adf.ly/qkk9

keep in mind this is windows only at the moment

redpanther

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:07 pm

2 Questions:
1) I've got a BluRay player in my Sony All-in-one Win7 PC. Can I stream the BluRay movie through the Roku player to the HDTV?
2) I've recorded TV programs on my PC in Win Media Center in dvr-ms. Will those play through to the Roku to the TV or do I need to convert?

manoflinux
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:39 am

in theory yes. vlc can do that. but getting the transcoding options right is what I am working on now.
what I have posted here does work but the video doesnt look all that good. .all you need to use this is modify the sample video player to point at your computer. and yes can run this under windows, but you are own your own when it comes to setting up iis and all that.
I have found some other brightscript code that allows you to input the ip address of your server I am looking into but dont have alot of time. first thing I am doing is figuring a way to stream to the roku with good picture quality..
this is what I changed in the sample video player.
'Swap the commented values below to play different video clips...
urls = ["http://192.168.0.254/streaming/mystream.m3u8"]
'qualities = ["SD"]
qualities = ["HD"]
streamformat = "hls"
title = "my stream"
if you are doing hd I think also need to set this flag
IsHD:true
to answer second question, you can if vlc can read the files. it can "transcode" them meaning recode to the correct video settings for the roku in real time if you have enough cpu power.
Last edited by manoflinux on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

manoflinux
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:43 am

oh and the best part about this is that its a Video on Demand feed. it doesn't start playing till you hit play on your roku.

manoflinux
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 am

just was streaming a wmv file. a looked very good at Video Bit Rate of 1536
still playing around. fixing my wired network today so I should get even better results. will keep you guys updated. but honestly if you want hires video you need to have a wire running to your roku and have a gigabit network.(its cheap now, cards are less than $20 and I have seen 4 port gigabit hubs for $20. )

manoflinux
Topic Author

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 am

there was a firmware update that messed up streaming from playon.tv and I think from vlc as well.
so until the firmware gets fixed I am stopping work on this. sorry been meaning to post this sooner. but hopefully by the time the roku firmware gets fixed 1.2 will be out and I can make a windows version of this howto.the reason I didn't want to make a windows howto was compiling vlc under windows is a pain. but when 1.2 comes out then you wont need to compile it. HLS streaming will be built in.

manoflinux
Topic Author

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 am

"Download latest VLC - 1.1.9 "
so close!!! its almost 1.2!!!

dynamitemedia

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:20 am

our solution is ready and doesn't rely on VLC, plus VLC for windows does not work properly in updating the playlist.

I would take a rough estimate or assumption that 60% are windows users here and VLC is just not a viable option right now, you still have to set up a server to serve the video files no matter what you do.

Our newest version will be pretty a 1 click install and your all ready to go. the server will be ready and with our new Gui your all set ...

our hold up right now is the Bat to exe, we hope to get that soon however...

dynamitemedia

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:35 pm

version 1.6 is here!!! go check it out

now with a simple gui for all your settings and 1 click install...

Streaming as easy as starting your mongoose streamer and picking the local file or web url you want to watch, or select TVU or Sopcast and hit start and you should be up and running in minutes.

most of the steps only need to be taken once and from then on just if you want to change the URL, use TVU or Sopcast or watch a local video from your Harddrive.

I will be setting up a page to show all the formats that you can play, but it should transcode anything you throw at it!

No VLC set up or compiling just add the URL change your settings as you wish and your all set, if you have issues please open a thread in the forum on the site

http://iptvmyway.com

manoflinux
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:46 am

vlc for windows 1.2 is going to be out soon and then it will be a viable option.
Its my personal mission to make it a viable option for all OS's and its free.
Is your solution free?
oh yea, stop spamming my thread with your ad's