Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jcmolet
Topic Author

Competition Heats Up For Content

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:26 am

It appears as if Hulu, Netflix and Google are competing for the Miramax Collection. If Google or Hulu can land the collection, it puts them in a little better position to compete with Netflix. Conversely, if Netflix lands the deal, it takes some of the sting out of losing the Criterion Collection and helps them maintain their solid position.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2011/03/n ... tion-.html

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Competition Heats Up For Content

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 am

Merged topics.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:20 am

I personally don't think that Hulu getting the Criterion collection was the goldmine that some claim. They may be "important" from a history of film aspect, but a bunch of dusty artsy-fartsy flicks aren't what's going to attract the bulk of their (or anyone's) subscribership.

jcmolet
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 am

stratcat96 wrote:
I personally don't think that Hulu getting the Criterion collection was the goldmine that some claim. They may be "important" from a history of film aspect, but a bunch of dusty artsy-fartsy flicks aren't what's going to attract the bulk of their (or anyone's) subscribership.

I would agree that the Criterion Collection by itself isn't going to attract a significant number of new - or renewed - subscriptions. However, at the end of the day it is about quality and quantity of content. Considering they started significantly behind Netflix, getting the Criterion and Miramax Collections would certainly be better for Hulu vice not having access to one or both...particularly if it means they were lost to Netflix.

gnonny11

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:53 am

stratcat96 wrote:

I agree.

There are films in there that I like while others bore me to pieces. I don't know to what ratio or for how long, but at least some of the films in the Criterion collection are currently available on Netflix Instant too. (The Red Balloon, Richard III, The 400 Blows, to name a few.)

Meanwhile, Netflix Instant has The Human Centipede (The First Sequence). Beat that, Hulu!!
Roku 4320x>HDMI<SonyBravia55//Ethernet

jcmolet
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:03 am

gnonny11 wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

I agree.

There are films in there that I like while others bore me to pieces. I don't know to what ratio or for how long, but at least some of the films in the Criterion collection are currently available on Netflix Instant too. (The Red Balloon, Richard III, The 400 Blows, to name a few.)

Meanwhile, Netflix Instant has The Human Centipede (The First Sequence). Beat that, Hulu!!

Netflix will be losing access to all Criterion Collections films by the end of the year. So even if there are only a few Criterion classics (e.g. Seven Samurai) that many would be interested in, they will have to go to Hulu Plus to view them. Meanwhile, the collection on Hulu Plus will increase from the current number, ~150, to ~800 as more titles are added. Again, I agree that these 800 independent/art house films alone are not going to attract a large number of subscribers. However, at the end of the day it is about quality and quantity. No matter how you slice it, locking up 800 titles is better than losing 800 titles.

gnonny11

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:21 am

jcmolet wrote:
Netflix will be losing access to all Criterion Collections films by the end of the year. So even if there are only a few Criterion classics (e.g. Seven Samurai) that many would be interested in, they will have to go to Hulu Plus to view them. Meanwhile, the collection on Hulu Plus will increase from the current number, ~150, to ~800 as more titles are added. Again, I agree that these 800 independent/art house films alone are not going to attract a large number of subscribers. However, at the end of the day it is about quality and quantity. No matter how you slice it, locking up 800 titles is better than losing 800 titles.

Thanks, jcmolet. I wondered about that. Nice to know that even more titles will be added. We're also Hulu+ subscribers, so same diff to us either way.

Also I believe there are public domain films in that collection, which Hulu+ can't call exclusive dibs on, no?

jcmolet
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:39 am

gnonny11 wrote:
Also I believe there are public domain films in that collection, which Hulu+ can't call exclusive dibs on, no?

From Wikipedia, the section dealing with Criterion Collection Licensing -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Criterion_Collection

Some licensed Criterion Collection titles, such as Rebecca (1940), are commercially unavailable but are for sale at auction on-line. Titles such as The Silence of the Lambs (1991), RoboCop (1987), Hard-Boiled (1992), The Killer (1989), and Ran (1985), become unavailable when their publishing licenses expire or when Criterion publishes improved versions, such as Beauty and the Beast (1946), M (1931), Seven Samurai (1953), and The Wages of Fear (1954). As of August 2009, 87 of the 373 titles (23 percent) composing the list of Criterion Collection laserdisc releases, have been released.
The film Charade (1963), was a public-domain property for lacking the legally required copyright notice—usually a license to sell low-quality DVD products —yet the Criterion company produced a digitally cleaned edition under license from Universal Pictures for the initial edition and for the anamorphic widescreen re-release edition of the film.
Periodically, Criterion does release material on DVD/Blu-Ray licensed from the studios they previously dealt with, such as Sony, Fox, MGM/UA, and Universal, generally on a case-by-case basis. Recently, Criterion struck new deals with Westchester Films (which is home to some films that had previously been with Castle Hill Productions) and the estate of Charlie Chaplin (as Janus Films had struck a new deal with the Chaplin company and worldwide distribution agent MK2 for the re-issue rights to the Chaplin library).

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Well collections of movies are well and good, but I do believe that the vast majority of those who subscribe or potentially would subscribe to Hulu + want their (current)TV and cable shows. If they'd lock those deals down, there would be no topping them for current TV. Competition is good of course, but if they keep it up with competing for movie catalogs they run the risk of diluting their service down to the "We don't know what we want to be but we do know we don't want to be 2nd to Netflix". In reality they weren't in direct competition until both services started trying to cross into eachother's business plan.

gnonny11

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Well it sure makes it a bit harder to remember what's available where. Obviously queues help, but that doesn't work for every channel. With cable alone the problem was skimming channels and often having trouble finding anything worth watching. With Roku channels, it's the opposite -- too much worth watching with too little time to watch it. Not that I'm complaining!!

(jcmolet, thanks for that wiki quote.)

jcmolet
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:15 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
In reality they weren't in direct competition until both services started trying to cross into eachother's business plan.

Agreed. However, I think it was inevitable that would happen. As Netflx and Hulu Plus look to appeal to wider audiences & expand their subscription bases it makes sense for both to try and acquire as much video content - movies, documentaries, television shows, etc. - as possible. I think it is unlikely that either could expand their customer bases with only one type of content, particularly as content providers seem intent on making it more difficult for streaming services.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 pm

With cable alone the problem was skimming channels and often having trouble finding anything worth watching. With Roku channels, it's the opposite -- too much worth watching with too little time to watch it. Not that I'm complaining!!

I'll have to try to figure that into my weekly report on Monday :)

C. Shawn Smith

Sorry, back to topic :)
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

mommom

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Criterion collection makes no difference to me as a subscriber.Miramax would .So if NetFlix saves a bit of money on one and uses it to help land the other,sounds good to me.In any case,its all still available on Roku,so its all good.

destruk

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:24 pm

dang those are some really awful movies. Good Will Hunting? The English patient? wow. At least the Criterion Collection had 3 movies that were good in it.