Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Bricked after update

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Update bricked my box first it wouldn't access any thing Netflix, channel store nothing so tried the power cycle reset where you unplug it wait for a minute then plug it back in still nothing, so i did the factory reset with the tiny button located on the bottom now its stuck in the setup process saying retrieving code.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Bricked after update

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 pm

thelastknight69 wrote:
Update bricked my box first it wouldn't access any thing Netflix, channel store nothing so tried the power cycle reset where you unplug it wait for a minute then plug it back in still nothing, so i did the factory reset with the tiny button located on the bottom now its stuck in the setup process saying retrieving code.

The Roku has built in failsafes to prevent bricking, so it's unlikely that's the case. Others are reporting issues accessing the channel store and Netflix at the moment, so it's more likely just unlucky timing. I'd try again in a few hours or in the morning.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

erictwall

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Same thing happened to me. I'm not to impressed. Netflix says it is not on then and from all the other threads I am reading no one seems to know what end it is coming from. I have tested everything and followed many suggestions but I am still waiting for a re-activation code as well.

TheEndless

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:30 pm

erictwall wrote:
Netflix says it is not on then

Where did you hear that? If you call Netflix support, they have a recording right now that states their instant streaming is experiencing issues at the moment. That sounds like them taking responsibility to me.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:32 pm

yep Roku... we liked Windows ME bugs so much we decided to follow suit

erictwall

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm

TheEndless wrote:
erictwall wrote:
Netflix says it is not on then

Where did you hear that? If you call Netflix support, they have a recording right now that states their instant streaming is experiencing issues at the moment. That sounds like them taking responsibility to me.

I went through Netflix online about an hour ago. Since Netflix didn't work I like the other two posts reset the Roku to factory and am not getting past The retrieving code screen. I will check in the morning.

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:39 pm

yeah netflix website says every thing is ok on their end when trying to troubleshoot from their end. checked my ps3 and pc and sure enough they work, but of course I am going to get the usual "oh they use different streams" seems to be the battle cry around here. but honestly Netflix has been buggy ever sense the UI update that added the search feature. You would think by now some one would say ok sorry we goofed up my bad lets go back to the old version while we go back to the drawing board and try to start from scratch till we can figure this out.

TheEndless

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:45 pm

thelastknight69 wrote:
yeah netflix website says every thing is ok on their end when trying to troubleshoot from their end. checked my ps3 and pc and sure enough they work, but of course I am going to get the usual "oh they use different streams" seems to be the battle cry around here. but honestly Netflix has been buggy ever sense the UI update that added the search feature. You would think by now some one would say ok sorry we goofed up my bad lets go back to the old version while we go back to the drawing board and try to start from scratch till we can figure this out.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Might as well sell your Roku and switch to something else.
http://support.roku.com/entries/2000137 ... ril-3-2011

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 pm

TheEndless wrote:
thelastknight69 wrote:

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Might as well sell your Roku and switch to something else.

it has been buggy for over a year now patience only goes so far and why would i sell it to some one else? I happen to have the morality to NOT sell a product that doesn't work to some one and steal their hard earned money.

any one else replaying in their minds the scene from Office Space where they beat the snot out of that printer that keeps jamming?? lol

TheEndless

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:58 pm

thelastknight69 wrote:
it has been buggy for over a year now patience only goes so far and why would i sell it to some one else? I happen to have the morality to NOT sell a product that doesn't work to some one and steal their hard earned money.
any one else replaying in their minds the scene from Office Space where they beat the snot out of that printer that keeps jamming?? lol

I can certainly understand your frustration, but aside from a few Netflix outages (acknowledged by Netflix), I've never had any issues with streaming Netflix on my Roku. I'm sorry that you have, but picking a time when Netflix is obviously having issues on their end to start complaining about it doesn't help your case much... As I said in my first response, it really just seems like bad luck in your timing... That aside, if you have other devices that Netflix works fine on, why not just use one of those?

scyber

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Well if you don't want to sell it, I'd gladly take it off your hands. Heck I'll even pay for shipping.

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:09 pm

TheEndless wrote:
thelastknight69 wrote:

I can certainly understand your frustration, but aside from a few Netflix outages (acknowledged by Netflix), I've never had any issues with streaming Netflix on my Roku. I'm sorry that you have, but picking a time when Netflix is obviously having issues on their end to start complaining about it doesn't help your case much... As I said in my first response, it really just seems like bad luck in your timing... That aside, if you have other devices that Netflix works fine on, why not just use one of those?

this isnt the first time I have complained, but each time some one says its either an isolated issue or i should "wait for the next update" and each update brings even more bugs and never fixes the previous ones I was having. but again I am told "be patient!" I think its time to end the need for "user patience" over a year and think for once about customer service and fix the FRACKING PROBLEM!

mikebdoss

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:03 pm

thelastknight69 wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
thelastknight69 wrote:

this isnt the first time I have complained, but each time some one says its either an isolated issue or i should "wait for the next update" and each update brings even more bugs and never fixes the previous ones I was having. but again I am told "be patient!" I think its time to end the need for "user patience" over a year and think for once about customer service and fix the FRACKING PROBLEM!

But the problem isn't universal - like TheEndless, I never have Netflix issues unless the whole country is. If the machine is working right for 99% of people (flower, or even 90%), then your continual issues really are most likely totally on your side. I'm sorry you're having problems, but as was said above, it sounds like no matter what anyone says, you've already made up your mind. I'll gladly take your box if you want to send it.

vmps

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 am

mikebdoss wrote:
But the problem isn't universal - like TheEndless, I never have Netflix issues unless the whole country is. If the machine is working right for 99% of people (flower, or even 90%), then your continual issues really are most likely totally on your side. I'm sorry you're having problems, but as was said above, it sounds like no matter what anyone says, you've already made up your mind. I'll gladly take your box if you want to send it.

1) you're obviously a "Person of Good Streaming Taste" or some other species of sub-human :roll:
2) he really likes complaining, don't try to take the joy from his life :wink:

SuetyStanes

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:37 am

thelastknight69 wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
thelastknight69 wrote:

this isnt the first time I have complained,

Why doesn't this surprise me?

but each time some one says its either an isolated issue or i should "wait for the next update" and each update brings even more bugs and never fixes the previous ones I was having. but again I am told "be patient!" I think its time to end the need for "user patience" over a year and think for once about customer service and fix the FRACKING PROBLEM!

I'll give you five bucks for it, and pay for shipping.