Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

oletruckdude
Topic Author

FINALLY DITCHED HULU+

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Well after 6 months of waiting and watching and hoping Hulu+ would add some more recent and better quality movies and Tv shows, I finally threw in the towel and cancelled it. I'm sure there are many shows on Hulu+ that many of you enjoy, so no disrespect intended. I just couldn't find enough shows and movies that I liked to feel like it was worth the $8 per month, plus the added distraction of commercials was the final straw. I checked a couple of times a week for recently added content and I rarely saw anything I'd ever heard of or was interested in watching.
On the bright side, I really enjoy Netflix and Amazon VOD, plus there's a slew of free channels on the Roku I also enjoy, including the News channels, Crackle, Nowhere TV, TV.com, and a bunch of others. So there's never a shortage of interesting things to watch.
I just didn't feel Hulu+ had enough to offer me. I may revisit Hulu+ in a few months and see what's changed.

kidblue

Re: FINALLY DITCHED HULU+

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Silly question for a guy considering Hulu Plus on his Roku -

Does Hulu Plus on the Roku give full access (and more) to what I already get on "regular" (free) Hulu on my computer?

Thanks,

Noah

SuetyStanes

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

kidblue wrote:

Does Hulu Plus on the Roku give full access (and more) to what I already get on "regular" (free) Hulu on my computer?

Thanks,

Noah

No. Only Hulu+ is available via Roku (or any streaming device). It's both more and less than what you get with the free version of Hulu. The Hulu website should show you what's available with Hulu+.

bozzy

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:54 pm

kidblue wrote:

The website clearly notes what content is available on Hulu Plus and what isn't. And yes, it has been answered a million times on this forum already.

kidblue

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Is there any way (other than checking specific shows) to compare what it available on a Roku versus what's "web-only"?

Thanks,

Noah

texashildy

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

kidblue wrote:
Is there any way (other than checking specific shows) to compare what it available on a Roku versus what's "web-only"?

Thanks,

Noah

Yes. When you go to the Hulu website and browse content, you can check a box that will filter results to those only available with Hulu Plus. Basically, Hulu Plus = available on Roku (for your purposes).
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.

SuetyStanes

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:10 pm

http://www.hulu.com/plus?src=topnav#content

Above is a link to the list of Hulu+ shows.

Anything Hulu+ can be seen using the Roku. Anything on the website with the green h+ symbol is available with a Hulu+ subscription.

kidblue

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:21 pm

So there's no differentiation between Hulu Plus on the site and Hulu Plus on my Roku?

In other words, if it says "Hulu Plus" anywhere, I'm good to go on the Roku?

Thanks,

Noah

bc43

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Wow, it took you six months?

It's only took me around a half hour to realize that their content didn't match the content on the website and that their service on the Roku was just about useless.

Eugenia

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:25 pm

No. Some shows don't show on mobile or TV Hulu+ versions, but only on web browser. This is what is killing Hulu+, along a few other things: that you never know if your show is going to be available or not in all mediums.
Art: https://www.instagram.com/eugenia_loli/

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Eugenia wrote:
No. Some shows don't show on mobile or TV Hulu+ versions, but only on web browser. This is what is killing Hulu+, along a few other things: that you never know if your show is going to be available or not in all mediums.

...Except that EVERY SINGLE SHOW is marked as to where it'll play.

kidblue

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Sorry, still confused and apologies if I'm thread-jacking -

If I see an episode/show/content marked as "Hulu Plus" on the site, can I expect it to be available on my Roku?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

kidblue wrote:

If I see an episode/show/content marked as "Hulu Plus" on the site, can I expect it to be available on my Roku?

Yep (assuming you subscribe to Hulu+).

mkiker2089

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:50 pm

kidblue wrote:

It's really not that complicated. Look to see if it has a plus icon. Now hover the mouse over the shows icon and it will tell you if you can watch it on mobile, web, and TV or it will have a "sorry, this is only available online." For example look for the show Castle. Hold the mouse over the picture and see what the pop up says. Now look for Barney Miller. No Plus Icon and no message saying it can be viewed on the TV. No message equals no it can't.

You can also filter the search for TV available episodes.

There are promos to give you free time so just sign up for it and try it out. It has a million viewers (or almost, I can't recall how it's worded) and if you fine one show you like then consider it a bargain rental. I've had it and I like it so much I paid a year in advance for it. I literally haven't watched broadcast TV in months because of Hulu.
Last edited by mkiker2089 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

SuetyStanes

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm

kidblue wrote:

I see Mike already answered, but since there was some confusion injected into this thread, I will agree that the answer is yes.