Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SuetyStanes

Re: Netflix 3.0 - Why are other STBs surpassing Roku?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:14 pm

jp1 wrote:
@SuetyStanes, maximum playable bitrate is somewhere in the region of 40-50 Mbps. I don't know how well you will get those files playing over a network without a gigabit router and wired connection but the 1 TB of internal space gives some room for the more demanding content internally.

Thanks for the info.

That's quite impressive. I'll have to look into this. I like the affordibility of the Rokus, but with added Netflix features and that level of file support, it could easily be worth the additional cost.

wpbear

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:41 pm

KennyJ wrote:
AeroR1 wrote:
jp1 wrote:
Roku is supposed to be the best netflix box.

who said that besides some the rubes on this forum and the suspender wearing CEO?

if i remember the story correctly, netflix was developing a streaming box in house but then decided to dump it on roku with their support to make the hardware to test the waters and see if this business had legs without becoming a hardware company. netflix never said roku is their flagship product.

now my opinion is that, and lets all be honest, the roku hasnt sold well since its release in 2007 or 08 (dont remember what year). it just passed a milliion sold and it took almost 4 years. that is not selling well when apple sold a million apple tv2 in less than a year. Mr. Suspenders didnt and still doesnt market the product, took years to get to a retailer and has caused customer confusion with all the models and different specs to the average consumer. Without marketing, netflix probably decided to focus on actual products that sell, that actually have an install base and products that can easily be obtained at any store.

i can guarantee you that roku is a small share of the daily streaming numbers, so there is no incentive for netflix to give you 5.1 sound, better interface and what not right away. the way roku is now, serves netflix just fine for its measly 1 million install base.

Troll somewhere else please. Thanks.

Telling someone to go away because they disagree is stupid. This board inparticular is bad about this....seems that this forum only wants the People of Good Streaming Taste.

On the topic of Roku vs WD: I have an older WD TV LIVE HD and I like it but I am mad that the new Plus WD has netflix and they will not add it to the older boxes as a firmware update. I will not be buying another WD Live box. At least with the Roku they release the same firmware to every box no matter when you bought it.

If Roku added DLNA I would consider it the perfect box. The price is so good but I do agree that to stay relevant Roku must progress. For me adding features like DLNA would be that progress!

mommom

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:25 pm

How much do you want for your dusty old Roku? :P

jp1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Actually, it is 2 dusty old Roku XDS models except they aren't dusty or old and include everything...even the original box and packing material. Care to make a serious offer?

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:47 pm

wpbear wrote:

On the topic of Roku vs WD: I have an older WD TV LIVE HD and I like it but I am mad that the new Plus WD has netflix and they will not add it to the older boxes as a firmware update. I will not be buying another WD Live box. At least with the Roku they release the same firmware to every box no matter when you bought it.

If Roku added DLNA I would consider it the perfect box. The price is so good but I do agree that to stay relevant Roku must progress. For me adding features like DLNA would be that progress!

The WD Live can not have Netflix because on those boxes it needs a chip for Netflix to work. I've read that its the copy protection stuff. No firmware is going to change that unfortunately

wpbear

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:55 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
wpbear wrote:

The WD Live can not have Netflix because on those boxes it needs a chip for Netflix to work. I've read that its the copy protection stuff. No firmware is going to change that unfortunately

Maybe they should have an upgrade offer to offset the cost then.

zaw

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I was on Samsung TV today its netflix interface is much better than ones on Roku.

:(

KennyJ

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:21 am

wpbear wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
AeroR1 wrote:

who said that besides some the rubes on this forum and the suspender wearing CEO?

if i remember the story correctly, netflix was developing a streaming box in house but then decided to dump it on roku with their support to make the hardware to test the waters and see if this business had legs without becoming a hardware company. netflix never said roku is their flagship product.

now my opinion is that, and lets all be honest, the roku hasnt sold well since its release in 2007 or 08 (dont remember what year). it just passed a milliion sold and it took almost 4 years. that is not selling well when apple sold a million apple tv2 in less than a year. Mr. Suspenders didnt and still doesnt market the product, took years to get to a retailer and has caused customer confusion with all the models and different specs to the average consumer. Without marketing, netflix probably decided to focus on actual products that sell, that actually have an install base and products that can easily be obtained at any store.

i can guarantee you that roku is a small share of the daily streaming numbers, so there is no incentive for netflix to give you 5.1 sound, better interface and what not right away. the way roku is now, serves netflix just fine for its measly 1 million install base.

Troll somewhere else please. Thanks.

Telling someone to go away because they disagree is stupid. This board inparticular is bad about this....seems that this forum only wants the People of Good Streaming Taste.

I didn't tell him to leave because I disagree. I told him to leave because he is trolling. Calling forum members Rubes and making fun of the Roku CEO isn't constructive dialog. It's baiting.

Notice that I didn't make the comment to anyone else who was criticizing Roku.

robertm

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 am

wpbear wrote:

While this forum does have its share of people who go to ridiculous lengths to defend the honor of Roku it does not censor negative feedback. Characterizing the other board members as rubes is a form of flaming.

In any event, if the HTML5 thing is correct and if Roku will always require special attention to keep up with other players this is seriously bad news. The countdown started with the creation of this thread. I don't think 90 days is unreasonable for us to see the new update. I doubt I will remain patient if it goes past 120.

vbathory

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:28 am

looks like the wdtv does not have wifi and that is a deal breaker for me. One thing i would like to metchion is Roku is a smaller company then Western Digital so it takes them a little longer to come out with updates but the end result is way better then anything out there.

robertm

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:34 am

vbathory wrote:
looks like the wdtv does not have wifi and that is a deal breaker for me. One thing i would like to metchion is Roku is a smaller company then Western Digital so it takes them a little longer to come out with updates but the end result is way better then anything out there.

They do have wifi but you have to buy the usb adaptor. Also, it is not up to Roku or WD when the channel gets updated it is up to Netflix.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 am

just a note about the WD units not having wifi.. When I bought my Live Plus I was a bit dismayed that I also had to buy a wifi adapter but I purchased a wireless N adapter that is so tiny you can't even tell what it is for $16 off Amazon new at the same time as my WD. I performs wonderfully connecting to my network and connecting and streaming wirelessly from any PC also in the network.

mommom

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:16 am

"""Actually, it is 2 dusty old Roku XDS models except they aren't dusty or old and include everything...even the original box and packing material. Care to make a serious offer?"""

I think my offer would be too low as I am just looking to get more Rokus for my grandchildren,I don't plan on the XDS for them.But just so you know they go for close to original price on Ebay,sometimes a dollar or two more.

jp1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:47 am

mommom wrote:
"""Actually, it is 2 dusty old Roku XDS models except they aren't dusty or old and include everything...even the original box and packing material. Care to make a serious offer?"""

I think my offer would be too low as I am just looking to get more Rokus for my grandchildren,I don't plan on the XDS for them.But just so you know they go for close to original price on Ebay,sometimes a dollar or two more.

That's good to know. I'll have to check into ebay if I ultimately decide to sell them. Thanks for pointing that out.