Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

clickwir
Topic Author

Roku seems slow lately.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Roku XDS, wired, comcast, Pennsylvania. As of the past week, no changes that I know, things seems to be slower than normal. The Roku has never been a snappy device, but for most screens, things happen when you press a button. Some things now have a second or two pause from when I press a button to something happening. Mainly while playing a video. I'll press pause, nothing will change so I'll hit it again, nothing, again... nothing... again... oh, now it's paused. So I get up to go do something, and it starts playing again. Crap, how many times did I hit it? I forget. It pauses. Then plays. Then pauses. It's like it has to catch up. It wasn't always like this.

Mainly happens in Netflix, but has happened in Crackle, TED and YouTube. The roku box has rebooted itself sometimes during these pause/play fits. I have trained myself to hit pause once and just wait 5 seconds (which seems longer) and then it pauses. It's really annoying, especially when trying to pause at a specific point to see something. Like reading text that's going too fast, etc.

Oh, and many times when I unpause, there's a few second delay to when it starts playing video again. But the PLAY/Pause box along with the bar stays up on the screen for a good 30 seconds or more. It's in a well ventalated area, it's on top of the stand, it's kind of cool in the room right now. The box doesn't feel extra warm or anything.

I also haven't been able to completely watch anything on Crackle. Got about 25% into Ghostbusters yesterday and it kept rebuffering and playing the same scene over and over. I gave up after 20 mins of that.

Version 2.9 build 1553. It's unplugged right now and I'm going to leave it unplugged for at least another half hour to see if that makes a difference. But it is getting quite annoying.

mommom

Re: Roku seems slow lately.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:35 pm

I am by no means an expert but have you rebooted your modem and router ?

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Comcast? Are you on metered usage that are rolling out in some areas? Have you checked to see if they are throttling you?

Comcast is devious.

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

Alfmeister

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 pm

I was having the same problem. I rebooted my FiOS modem, no change. I then rebooted the Roku by unplugging it, no change. Finally I pushed the reset button on the bottom of the XDS and Viola! Back to normal operation. If even that doesn't help I would write down all of your settings and try the reset to factory settings in the settings menu. That's what I was going to try next. Good luck.

clickwir
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 am

I'll have to try a hard reset. I don't think it has anything to do with the connection. It appears the Roku is slow, not the connection.

Yes comcast throttles netflix and that has caused some issues, but pressing pause on the remote and not seeing anything happen on screen for 5 seconds shouldn't have anything to do with the connection.

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:46 am

Not trying to be smart, but people please read the OP carefully. The "Box" is slow, not his connection. This has nothing to do with his router, modem, internet etc..

This is the infamous "remote" issue that people have reported. It's a remote lag of some sort. You'll see the light blink so you know the box is accepting commands but the box doesn't act on them. It's gotten better since the last update but it still happens to me as well. It can be any channel and it's usually only after a show starts but it can occur any time during a show. It will often lead to a full crash and reboot as well.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 am

Forgot to say, the only fix so far is to reboot the box daily. That seems to work for me anyhow. Whatever causes this seems to build over time.
-Marshall-

robertm

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:54 am

I hate to ask, but have you tried fresh batteries? Also, is there any chance the box has been moved even a little to place where the light sensor on your TV is affecting remote reception?

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 am

robertm wrote:
I hate to ask, but have you tried fresh batteries? Also, is there any chance the box has been moved even a little to place where the light sensor on your TV is affecting remote reception?

It's not the remote or the receiver. It's the box's logic board or something. The light blinks so you know it's getting the command, it just isn't acting on it. I've even used the website remote and again the light blinks but no response. This was much more prevalent in the last build. People listed it as "hulu problem" or "netflix slow to respond" and such but really it's all channels.

The key point that people keep missing is that the box "catches up" on the commands after he gives up. For example I hit pause a few times. Well the box ignores me so I give up and sit the remote down. Now the box will suddenly pause, unpause, and pause again on it's own. Often that will end up causing a crash and reboot.
-Marshall-

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:56 am

I've been searching our bug database, but I haven't seen any similar problems (yet).

Out of curiosity though, what "angle" are you at when this problem occurs, and at what distance? I'm wondering if there might be interference from something else that may be causing the problem (long shot, I know).

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:05 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
I've been searching our bug database, but I haven't seen any similar problems (yet).

Out of curiosity though, what "angle" are you at when this problem occurs, and at what distance? I'm wondering if there might be interference from something else that may be causing the problem (long shot, I know).

C. Shawn Smith

For me it's not a remote issue as I can see the light on the front blink. I think the OP would be in the same boat since the box catches up. This is most certainly a problem in the software. I can try and find the other threads about it also. I'm surprised no one from Roku has seen it yet. Like I said in my PM I can even use the wifi remote ap and it has the same result.

I found a few threads on it from the past few months so it's nothing new.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34306

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38498

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37631

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37931

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37703
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:07 pm

I've also seen this issue confuse Hulu. You know how Hulu brings up a box and darkens the video behind it. When the remote acts up it'll play the video in the darkened area with the screenshot box on top of it. Often I have to hit the home button to get out of Hulu to fix the problem.
-Marshall-

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 pm

I've always had this issue, though it was worse a couple months ago, and doesn't happen much anymore. I'll hit a button on the remote, the light will flash on the Roku, the unit will make the "you clicked the button and I'm about to do what you said" noise, and nothing will happen. Clicking again usually works, but a couple times the box has gotten confused and acted as if I'd clicked twice. I saw it most often on Netflix, but that's the channel we use most, so that's not surprising.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Okay thanks guys.

I'll look over those other threads here shortly and take some notes. I'll post this problem to my weekly report on Monday, and hopefully I'll get some answers next week.

In the meantime, please post your Roku Model and Roku S/N.

Thanks.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

robertm

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:36 pm

You guys that are having problems should probably also share what channels you have loaded and if you are using any custom screensavers.