Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mkiker2089

Re: Roku seems slow lately.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 am

I have a new box and a new 2.5amp power supply. We'll see if that helps. for the record I'm using the new 12 button remote.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

jbrave

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:11 pm

I think I may have an answer for why the Roku might seem slow.

The speed at which a Posterscreen pages forward and backward is affected by the filesize and image size of the images displayed. If you have large images displaying in a Posterscreen, the posterscreen will be slow to respond. I'm guessing that the posters on the main screen (netflix, hulu, and installed channels) may have undergone an artwork revision between the time you purchased your Roku and now. That artwork revision used higher resolution artwork, or, some of your other installed channels are using higher resolution artwork with larger file or image size and this is causing the apparant slowdown when browsing installed channels. The same may be true when navigating within channels - if they displayed artwork has a large dimension or file size, this will cause those channels to respond slowly to the remote.

I discovered this after I implemented the artwork display for the SubSonicTV project - I had 500x500 size and larger images in my itunes collection. When I had the server resize them down to 300x300 or smaller, the UI became much more responsive.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:14 pm

A very interesting theory. It could also explain why sometimes the boxes crash. The only variable is why some are affected and others aren't. Perhaps the number of channels stored may have something to do with that, or another reason entirely.

I'll pass this theory along to the engineers to see what they say about it.

Thanks for the info!
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:25 pm

jbrave wrote:

The speed at which a Posterscreen pages forward and backward is affected by the filesize and image size of the images displayed. If you have large images displaying in a Posterscreen, the posterscreen will be slow to respond. I'm guessing that the posters on the main screen (netflix, hulu, and installed channels) may have undergone an artwork revision between the time you purchased your Roku and now. That artwork revision used higher resolution artwork, or, some of your other installed channels are using higher resolution artwork with larger file or image size and this is causing the apparant slowdown when browsing installed channels. The same may be true when navigating within channels - if they displayed artwork has a large dimension or file size, this will cause those channels to respond slowly to the remote.

I discovered this after I implemented the artwork display for the SubSonicTV project - I had 500x500 size and larger images in my itunes collection. When I had the server resize them down to 300x300 or smaller, the UI became much more responsive.

- Joel

That theory only makes sense if the channel uses a poster screen, which neither Neflix nor Hulu do (that slowdown due to image size doesn't affect the grid screen). It also doesn't explain slow response on video pausing and elsewhere in the channels.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
A very interesting theory. It could also explain why sometimes the boxes crash. The only variable is why some are affected and others aren't. Perhaps the number of channels stored may have something to do with that, or another reason entirely.

I'll pass this theory along to the engineers to see what they say about it.

Thanks for the info!
C. Shawn Smith

Doesn't exactly fit, as Endless said also. i have a limited number of channels and the crashes are during shows. It does elude to a possible memory issue however. Assuming memory is the reason the giant posters slow it down.

I still say it's either faulty ram or a memory leak. That's a random guess also but I remember when Internet Explorer used to crash Windows 95 because it was loosing ram and windows couldn't recover ram without a reboot. The computer would slow down and lock up, which is what my old box did.

I haven't seen a signifigant slow down on my new box but I haven't had time to test it. If I hit the buttons too fast during hulu there is a ~1 second delay but that's to be expected. I need a month or so to be sure. I haven't allowed the box to reboot so I'm going to let it play out a season of Lie to Me on Hulu to see if Hulu triggers a bug.

I'm guessing Shawn that there haven't been any enlightening reboot logs.
-Marshall-

vmps

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm

jbrave wrote:

The speed at which a Posterscreen pages forward and backward is affected by the filesize and image size of the images displayed. If you have large images displaying in a Posterscreen, the posterscreen will be slow to respond.

The freaky slow remote with immediately blinking light affects things like "pause" or "scroll up or down on the netflix movie screen (for things like 'rate' or 'start from beginning')" so loading graphics doesn't make sense in context.

billman

Mon May 02, 2011 5:49 pm

I've had this issue from time to time, seems to be happening more frequently lately (last few weeks). Reboot is the only resolution, but I don't normally wait more than a few minutes before cussing it and rebooting. Waiting for it to catch up has not worked for me, but sometimes it will process the clicks very slowly -- like one action every 20 - 30 seconds or so if it does anything.

Also I've only noticed the problem when viewing programs -- mainly on Hulu+. Netflix I don't think I've had trouble with.

I've noticed comments about ambient light, fresh batteries, etc. As stated by others, this is definitely NOT a problem with the remote control. As for light, my box is placed in a closed cabinet (glass front) under the flat screen so no light fluctuations enter the cabinet space. After a reboot everything works fine again. Over time, I've added and removed channels, and while I've not tracked it that does not seem to be the issue at least for me.

For reference My box is the XDS serial # K0A0CA027328

newtomato

Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 pm

I joined the forum to report this problem. It's becoming more and more frequent. It's frustrating trying to pause and restart a show and not having the unit respond for 30seconds-2minutes. I am getting the light to blink as soon as I use the remote. I tried new batteries, but that didn't help.

My XD has rebooted itself twice in the last week alone while in the middle of watching shows. Both times on hulu.

Serial # J0A0AG048028

mauiman

Thu May 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Yes it does. VERY slow. If it were a dairy product, it would expire before the show loaded.
It crashes and re-boots itself at least once a day too. Usually in the middle of a show.

mkiker2089

Sat May 07, 2011 10:01 am

So far so good. The new box for whatever reason isn't having the same problem. It's still a little early to tell though since we haven't watched nearly as much as we did last month.
-Marshall-

soricon

Mon May 09, 2011 2:25 pm

+1 for the slow issue here as well. It happens mostly in Hulu Plus, sometimes it reboots as well. Really non-responsive, it takes minutes to respond to a remote control command...VERY close to make my Roku box useless...

0x1011

Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Here is something else to consider.

ISP's everywhere are doing staggered rollouts of IPv6 service. The DNS servers being handed to your Roku by your router may have changed without you knowing, since Roku relies on on the router's DHCP service to get its IP and DNS server information, and your router gets that automatically from your ISP without you having to configure anything.

During the rollout, your ISP might be having you use IPv6 services that are much further away with greater latency and packet loss than the IPv4 DNS servers you were using before. I found that mine was tunnelling from Denver to Dallas instead of using the IPv4 server at the main comcast office 10 minutes from my house. So I turned off DNS relay and advanced DNS, which require IPv6, and hardcoded thwoIPv4 DNS addresses which are half the number of hops away and 1/5 the latency.

What that did for me is completely stop the roku from pausing to reload the buffer when watching hulu or netflix, because queries to the content servers are no longer suffering packet loss or increase latency. Later when IPv6 becomes mandatory, newer Roku boxes will have more memory and can afford a lavishly long timeout on DNS caching, wo this will be much less of an issue.

bcl

Wed May 11, 2011 9:35 pm

Same problem here. The box delays response to the remote by several seconds. This seems to be worse the longer I have been watching the video. It happens with both the roku remote and my sony universal learning remote. I haven't seen any crashes, but I hear about it from my wife on a daily basis :) Rewinding and then hitting play usually results in audio starting before video playback which can be delayed by 5 or more seconds. I haven't tried other channels, but it is happening all the time with Netflix. I haven't noticed it with my 2 other players, but I don't use pause on them much.

N1000
SN 20F8C30054SS

Thanks for looking into this.

vmps

Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 am

0x1011 wrote:
What that did for me is completely stop the roku from pausing to reload the buffer when watching hulu or netflix, because queries to the content servers are no longer suffering packet loss or increase latency. Later when IPv6 becomes mandatory, newer Roku boxes will have more memory and can afford a lavishly long timeout on DNS caching, wo this will be much less of an issue.

I don't understand what is up with all these IPv6 posts lately. This has nothing to do with the symptoms being discussed in this thread. As for what you're describing, it sounds more like a classic case of "poorly selected DNS server returning distant CDN nodes" than anything having to do specifically with IPv6 or with latency to the DNS server.

mkiker2089

Thu May 12, 2011 4:57 pm

My new box has been a lot better, until just now. I left it paused and the screen saver locked up. When I tried to resume the movie the box rebooted.

Shawn, the time is 7:56 eastern. SN is 20F89D006315

Can you check for an error log?
-Marshall-