Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Roku seems slow lately.

Thu May 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I'll have someone look at it tomorrow morning when I'm back on duty.

By chance, what screensaver are you using? Try disabling it (return to the default one), and see if it still happens.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

bcl

Fri May 13, 2011 6:56 am

I was using the Roku analog clock. I switched back to the default (just the moving Roku logo) and is seemed to be much more responsive.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 am

Good deal. Keep monitoring it and report back if it happens like that again. I'll pass on your information to the engineers to see if they can see anything in the logs.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

mkiker2089

Fri May 13, 2011 4:23 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
I'll have someone look at it tomorrow morning when I'm back on duty.

By chance, what screensaver are you using? Try disabling it (return to the default one), and see if it still happens.

C. Shawn Smith

It was during a paused movie so it forced the bouncing logo. Normally I use the digital clock.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

strongbad03

Sat May 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus - for the last month, I have had identical symptoms as the OP's post when on Netflix:
*delayed response of 5-10 seconds from our Roku N1100 when pressing any button,
*when resuming play, the progress bar and play icon remain on screen,
*movie occasionally crashes and display is kicked out to the movie title details screen, and
*the Roku has crashed a few times and rebooted.

We don't use anything else but Netflix. Thanks for looking into this, Roku support folks.

bcl

Mon May 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Things worked great for about a week, then this weekend it started acting up again. Same symptoms, long delays to respond to remote, audio starting way before video when it is paused after doing a FF or RW.

I just reset it and it is more responsive, but the audio still starts before the video.

knarfl1

Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am

Same slow isse with Roku XD.

Can stream videos fine to computer (20mb download broadband, N+ wifi, etc.) but s-l-o-w using Roku.

Used to be fine but started having problems 3~4 months ago. Tried resetting all configurations, setting everything back to factory default, hardwire to router/modem, etc. Nothing has worked.

Useless.

clickwir
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:56 pm

I've got an XDS that seems to be having issues that many posts in this thread are having.

SN: K0A0CR042181

I use the Picasa screensaver. One of the only ways my wife will let the Roku box exist in the house.

But frequently I'll come home from work and turn on the TV, I can hear the BEEPS like the remote commands are being received but there's either just a blank screen or a green screen. At least a couple times a week I'll have to reboot because it just seems slow to respond, I'll hit a button, hear it and nothing will happen on screen. I mainly use Netflix, Youtube and used Crackle a few times.

edit: Oh, and I'm using gigabit wired network. No wireless. It's usually very hot, I'm going to get a 12volt transformer from work and hook up a small, quiet fan next to the Roku to help keep is cool.

Todd_B

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 pm

I've got this issue too. Model: N1100 Serial: 20F8A3013277. Most recent occurrence (remote response lag, leading to freeze, leading to crash & reboot) 7/21/2011 approx. 9:00pm Central Time.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 pm

I can hear the BEEPS like the remote commands are being received but there's either just a blank screen or a green screen.

Are you using HDMI by any chance? That sounds like a handshaking issue btw the Roku and the TV. When the TV is shut off, breaking the handshake, and the Roku stays on it doesn't quite know how to re-negotiate when the TV comes back on. If that is your issue, others thankfully have posted about solving it with a simple HDMI switch. :)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:43 pm

clickwir wrote:
I've got an XDS that seems to be having issues that many posts in this thread are having.

SN: K0A0CR042181

I use the Picasa screensaver. One of the only ways my wife will let the Roku box exist in the house.

But frequently I'll come home from work and turn on the TV, I can hear the BEEPS like the remote commands are being received but there's either just a blank screen or a green screen. At least a couple times a week I'll have to reboot because it just seems slow to respond, I'll hit a button, hear it and nothing will happen on screen. I mainly use Netflix, Youtube and used Crackle a few times.

edit: Oh, and I'm using gigabit wired network. No wireless. It's usually very hot, I'm going to get a 12volt transformer from work and hook up a small, quiet fan next to the Roku to help keep is cool.

As stratcat says, that's an HDMI handshake issue (I have the same problem with my TV when I turn it on). I'd suggest using the default Roku screensaver and seeing if that clears the green screen issue (it helped alleviate my green screen, but it still happens on occasion).

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

bcl

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:35 am

FYI this is still happening on all 3 of my rokus (All are v1). Current software is 3.1r1011

I mostly use the Netflix channel, and it *really* annoys my wife. Right now we're using the weather screensaver, but screensaver selection doesn't appear to make a difference.

dudewheresmycar

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Same problems listed above. Worked great when new (Jan 12). Has latest updates, tried resetting several times. 2 XD 3050X S/N 12C1AJ033543 Crackle is almost unwatchable with the freezing and long wait times. Not a network issue, zero problems streaming anything thru my Blu Ray, including Crackle.

dwanthny

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:59 pm

dudewheresmycar wrote:
Same problems listed above.

The above thread talks about Roku devices that are 2 versions out of date. Please start a new thread and give us more details about your experience and history with your problem.