Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cs6000
Topic Author

Roku is a lot of hassle just to have a remote.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Recently got the Roku, and have very mixed feelings about it. It delivers a good picture, and is reasonably easy to use, but it sure does not deliver in some areas as well as a laptop hooked up to the TV does.
Of course there's the ridiculous HULU restrictions everyone is aware of, not an issue with the laptop. There's also a wide array of college sports you'll never get via Roku.
Another thing that drives me nuts is some of the older shows (60's, 70's) that actually are available on Hulu Plus need to be viewed in "standard" aspect vs 720p/1080p. If you then want to go to Netflix for something newer, switching to 720p knocks you off the wireless network. You then have to re-connect, and wait for Roku to start up again.

The remote is sure handy, but I don't know if I can stand the quirks.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku is a lot of hassle just to have a remote.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:12 pm

cs6000 wrote:
but it sure does not deliver in some areas as well as a laptop hooked up to the TV does.

Roku - $59.95
Laptop - $300. +
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

stratcat96

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:14 pm

How can we help?
Last edited by stratcat96 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertm

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:17 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
I think it's time for DaBronx's "Don't Feed The Troll" picture

Did you ever stop to think that because this is an official forum that your actions could actually lead to Rokus being returned? Here the OP has mixed feelings about the use and limitations and also issues with losing connection to the wireless and you are calling him a troll. Since these forums are not moderated much or at all after working hours the OP will be left to believe that your comments are acceptable to Roku as a company and will have even less motivation to try and work through it.

mommom

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:12 pm

For the OP-Of course their are limits on what the Roku can do compared to a laptop connected to your tv.It is not marketed as a computer,It is a set top box used for watching streaming video .Its like apples and oranges,they are both fruit,but if you want citrus the apple won't be your best choice.I feel that the price is excellent and that the main channels are NetFlix and Amazon.Hulu+ developed a channel and it is buggy.Crackle is the same.Lots of other people have developed lots of other channels that are not.But I bought mine to play NrtFlix,the second one for NetFlix and Amazon,and they do that very well.I also have an HTPC and all of our other pc's and laptops connect to tv's when we want them to.But the Roku is always there,always on,always ready,we never have to plug it in or use a mouse or keyboard or find the charger.

stratcat96

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:59 pm

robertm wrote:

Did you ever stop to think etc. etc. etc.

My apologies kind sir. If the OP would have worded the post as a request for information or help I wouldn't have made that remark, but rather my best attempt to help. In any case I do apologize to anyone who it may have offended and will edit it accordingly. Thank you for showing me the error in my ways

mbratch

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:33 am

The OP didn't say which model of Roku box he/she has. I think the Roku XD and XD|S have a higher speed wifi capability? It would be interesting to know more details behind the wifi "knock out" scenario like what kind of Roku, how far away is the wifi access point and are there a lot of interferers in between, exactly at what point does the Roku reset occur (or does it vary), etc. That issue doesn't sound normal.

I agree the Roku has limits on what you can view. I supplement mine with "basic" cable (@$8 / month). Or you can supplement with an antenna for local channels. I think the market for streaming home information and entertainment from the internet is still in its early stages. A lot of sites provide the capability, but they still assume people are using either a full cable/satellite service and/or a PC.
http://www.codekinesis.com

scyber

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:04 am

mbratch wrote:
The OP didn't say which model of Roku box he/she has. I think the Roku XD and XD|S have a higher speed wifi capability? It would be interesting to know more details behind the wifi "knock out" scenario like what kind of Roku, how far away is the wifi access point and are there a lot of interferers in between, exactly at what point does the Roku reset occur (or does it vary), etc. That issue doesn't sound normal.

It sounds like the OP thinks they need to switch between the 720p setting and SDTV setting to watch older shows on Hulu. Switching of course requires a reboot which "knocks out" wifi when it reboots. I think the bigger question is why the OP thinks they need to switch between SD and 720p to view older TV shows on Hulu. I haven't watched any of the older shows on hulu, so I'm not sure what the OP is referring to. Perhaps the older SD shows are an incorrect aspect ratio in the 720p setting? Or perhaps they are the correct aspect ratio but the OP prefers a "stretched picture" (no black bars)? Either way the OP needs to clarify why they think there is a need to switch display settings.

tobarefeet

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:14 am

mbratch wrote:

I agree the Roku has limits on what you can view. I supplement mine with "basic" cable (@$8 / month). Or you can supplement with an antenna for local channels. I think the market for streaming home information and entertainment from the internet is still in its early stages. A lot of sites provide the capability, but they still assume people are using either a full cable/satellite service and/or a PC.

There in lies the rub at this moment. While those of us that use (and love) our Roku's, Boxee Boxes, Apple TV's, Google TV's understand it's early days in this technology.... people new to the party are going to get frustrated and it's perfectly understandable. There are moments I still get frustrated. There are times when I see a few channels in HD quality and lament that most don't look good at all on my HDTV. That's not a slam on the developers, but it is what it is.
I think what we are seeing in the streaming field is akin to 1998 in high speed broadband. I was one of the early people on Roadrunner hi-speed in Florida, at it's earliest stages. Most everyone was on dial up and content. Then as high speed was delivered to more people and others heard from their friends about this amazing technology, everyone wanted it, demand soared as companies found out how much money there was to be made on it.
I think very quickly that's what we will see here as well. More companies will see the value of partnering with the Roku, Boxees of the streaming world. Some of it is current contracts that have to expire before they can offer here, I would guess. Some of it i'm sure is companies holding off on creating channels until they are sure there is a real and thriving market to justify the expense. Smart ones will climb aboard.
my 2 cents -

traal

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 am

cs6000 wrote:
If you then want to go to Netflix for something newer, switching to 720p knocks you off the wireless network.

Please upgrade your wifi router's firmware.

robertm

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:14 am

To me the bigger hassle is not having a remote. Last evening I realized the DVR had not fully recorded a show. I went to try and find it on Amazon and it was not there. I RELUCTANTLY switched over to the notebook, accessed Hulu.com with my bluetooth kb, and played the episode in a lovely 320p.

However, I am satisified with streaming as a companion service. If I were trying to cut the cord I would have to compromise and deal with the clunky experience of using a computer and keyboard and some not so great quality streams.

You have to understand that as of right now no one wants you to have a nice experience without getting their money either through ads or subscriptions. I am betting your wireless issue can be resolved. If I were you I would use the roku for as much as possible because you obviously want the remote experience and use the computer only for those things you can't get any other way.

mommom

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:47 am

There are lots of remotes for pc's.$15 on Amazon on up.Kylo browser is a free download and there remote is $49.

-LD

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:26 am

cs6000 wrote:
Another thing that drives me nuts is some of the older shows (60's, 70's) that actually are available on Hulu Plus need to be viewed in "standard" aspect vs 720p/1080p.

Those old shows were filmed in standard aspect, not modern widescreen 720p. And "old" is only like 6-8 years.

Razmataz

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:43 am

cs6000 wrote:
Recently got the Roku, and have very mixed feelings about it. It delivers a good picture, and is reasonably easy to use, but it sure does not deliver in some areas as well as a laptop hooked up to the TV does.
Of course there's the ridiculous HULU restrictions everyone is aware of, not an issue with the laptop. There's also a wide array of college sports you'll never get via Roku.
Another thing that drives me nuts is some of the older shows (60's, 70's) that actually are available on Hulu Plus need to be viewed in "standard" aspect vs 720p/1080p. If you then want to go to Netflix for something newer, switching to 720p knocks you off the wireless network. You then have to re-connect, and wait for Roku to start up again.

The remote is sure handy, but I don't know if I can stand the quirks.

Welcome as a new Roku owner and forum contributor.

Has someone convinced you Roku's prime selling point is: the remote control? Great feature all right, but standard for web streaming appliances: Apple TV, web-enabled TVs and Bluray players, Roku, gaming consoles, more. (I like using my laptop's HDMI support to my TV, too, so I grasp what you're saying about that being a good program source.)

It sounds like your greatest frustration is with the Hulu Plus channel, specifically (just one of many channels). If so, you may get support help here by including "Hulu Plus" in your title and describing the specific support problem with that channel.

Aspect ratio: Are you expecting older TV shows that were created in 4x3 aspect ratio, to natively support a widescreen aspect ratio? If so: let us know.

You'll find lots of folks are interested in trying to help. Please come back and offer some feedback for the things others have posted. Are any of the responders on the right track?

cs6000
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:33 pm

I guess I ruffled the usual number of feathers of the devoted. I realize Roku is a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment trying its best to work in a quickly changing market. For the record, the laptop I was using also cost me $75 as it is a older thing that I improvised for the tv. I was always surprised how well it worked, if you could get the video via the internet, it would put it on TV.

Yes. My big gripe with Roku is that you are not content to have your picture "black barred" in you switch between a "standard" aspect and 720p, you must:
1 Change your setting: sure, no problem
2. Wait for Roku to restart: pretty slow process
3. Go back to settings, and connect to your network
4. Go back to where you where to begin with, and start over navigating to your show.

Yes, I consider that a hassle. We watch a mix of older shows on Hulu newer stuff on Netflix. We don't really like the way the older shows look on our 32 inch screen when locked into 720p. I'm sure the Hulu free/plus thing has been done to death.
I'm trying not to be too hard on the Roku, it does a good job once you get it set up and pointed at something, the aspect ratio/wireless network thing is just an annoyance.