Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

robertm

Re: Roku is a lot of hassle just to have a remote.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 pm

cs6000 wrote:
So now this is an "Only for us Roku Lovers" forum. Don't know what the crack about reviewing the thread title means. I started the thread, after all. I was trying to compliment the previous posters on their civility, and then this....

If someone is contemplating buying a Roku, has never had access to one, and wonders how it might perform in a certain situations, this info could all be helpful. Who would imagine Roku would jump offline if the aspect ratio is changed? What's wrong with pointing it out?
Roku will be better off in the future, if problems are brought to light. Can't fix something is no one is allowed to point out problems.

What some people here don't realize is that Roku has made it pretty clear they invite all feedback positive or negative. I am not sure why there are those that act as if you are talking about their mother. I know a troll when I see one, and, so far, you are no troll.

Comparing Roku to another streaming device, even if it is a powerful computer, is competely fair because some consumers are not going to care if Roku is cheaper. However, for the price it really delivers quite a bit.

Also, Roku will not work in every situation or satisfy every consumer.

cs6000
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Excellent points by RobertM.
I've really got no business expecting the Roku to perform as well as a computer with a high powered processor. It does a great job within its limits. Most of the limits are imposed from without. I'm caving to the logic.

Initially, I was just frustrated over some of these limitations, and the issue of getting knocked off the network. Mine is not the only thread about this problem of having to reconfigure the Roku each time the aspect ratio is changed. I've checked, and am up to date on all firmware and software. People using the Roku with a smaller screen TV will be affected by this, so now its out there.
I'm sure Roku is aware, and doing whatever is possible on the issue.

Wait till you hear what I go thru to watch college football without cable. I would never blame Roku for not keeping up with that.

senorgregster

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm

So your router is updated too or just the Roku? Have you tried channel 6 yet?

robertm

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

I wasn't being sarcastic, just in case. I do think it is fair to compare Roku with any other device that streams. A computer is another streaming option just like the PS3, some TVs, BD players, and other STBs. Money may be part of the comparison but so are features, user experience, and available content.

I, myself, wonder if going with a true HTPC may be the best route going forward. The thing that worries me is how fast a computer becomes old technology. Buying a new one for even 2 TVs ($500ish x2) every 4 years or so is pricey if it is only for entertainment.

senorgregster

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 am

robertm wrote:
I wasn't being sarcastic, just in case. I do think it is fair to compare Roku with any other device that streams. A computer is another streaming option just like the PS3, some TVs, BD players, and other STBs. Money may be part of the comparison but so are features, user experience, and available content.

I, myself, wonder if going with a true HTPC may be the best route going forward. The thing that worries me is how fast a computer becomes old technology. Buying a new one for even 2 TVs ($500ish x2) every 4 years or so is pricey if it is only for entertainment.

Certainly sounds like an option for the OP, you and I'm sure many others.

I haven't kept up with this type of thing - do you have to worry about Windows updates etc? How much electricity do these things use? Are they quiet enough? Small enough? Content wise I imagine the PC would do better although no Hulu Plus is that is your thing. What about the all important WAF with remotes/keyboards/wires/size etc. How do you manage that part? Bluetooth components? Is $500 realistic for a really nice "clean" set up?

mbratch

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 am

I love the Roku due to its price, ease of use, and decent collection of channels for movies, shows, and educational material. Where it's weak is where any other dedicated streaming box would be weak: all the videos online that aren't available in a suitable streaming format for such a box. For example, there are a lot more 24-hour news videos online at the respective news sites than are available through Roku Newscaster. So I'm contemplating supplementing my Roku with e dedicated PC next to the TV as well, connected to a different TV input and with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I'd use the Roku for ease of use, but the PC when I want to get to those other videos.
http://www.codekinesis.com

robertm

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:47 am

senorgregster wrote:
robertm wrote:

Certainly sounds like an option for the OP, you and I'm sure many others.

I haven't kept up with this type of thing - do you have to worry about Windows updates etc? How much electricity do these things use? Are they quiet enough? Small enough? Content wise I imagine the PC would do better although no Hulu Plus is that is your thing. What about the all important WAF with remotes/keyboards/wires/size etc. How do you manage that part? Bluetooth components? Is $500 realistic for a really nice "clean" set up?

I haven't investigated it fully because that is my least desirable option. They do have remotes and should be quiet. As far as updates, yep, it is a windows based computer.

Right now I will stick with Roku until a clearly superior option presents itself. If that is still Roku then I will stay put.

QuantumIguana

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm

I just don't see the hassle with the Roku. A laptop is much more hassle. My Roku gets tucked away in an unused corner of my TV stand. I plug it in and forget about it.