TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
The play issue is fixed. However the above is still happening.
That is the only screen where I cannot select all the choices.

Grr.. does it keep scrolling when you press down to select another button, or does it just jump twice like you hit the button twice?
It is more like two presses. But it is even more like one press says go down (or up) two spots. I have not been quick enough to catch the OK as it whizzes past.

Wait.. important detail. Does this only happen on the "Add Channel to Group" dialog? Does it not happen on the main Options dialog that pops up when you hit *?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Gilgamesh

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 am

TheEndless wrote:
Wait.. important detail. Does this only happen on the "Add Channel to Group" dialog? Does it not happen on the main Options dialog that pops up when you hit *?

As was said in "Short Circuit" "Bimbo!"

That is exactly correct. I am able to use all other screens without issue.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:43 am

vnzjunk wrote:
One thing I was wondering about and was hesitant to experiment with. Once you have your various categories set up is it possible to remove the default ALL CHANNELS category or is that a permanent one? And if you can eliminate it how would you go about getting it back. And as an after thought if you brought it back would it affect the other categories that you had set up like erasing them?

The channel doesn't currently allow you to remove the All Channels row. The "how do you get it back" issue is one of the primary reasons, but also because you'd have to keep adding and removing it every time you installed a new channel. A lot of quirky UI issues with that that I didn't want to try to tackle.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:46 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Enter/Exit the channel store, and let me know if you have better luck now.. ;)

Gilgamesh

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 am

TheEndless wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Enter/Exit the channel store, and let me know if you have better luck now.. ;)

"There's no joy in Mudville..."

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:12 am

Gilgamesh wrote:

Make sure you've got version 1.1 of the channel. Roku's channel store CDN has been a little slow to sync lately.

vnzjunk

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:16 am

TheEndless wrote:
vnzjunk wrote:
One thing I was wondering about and was hesitant to experiment with. Once you have your various categories set up is it possible to remove the default ALL CHANNELS category or is that a permanent one? And if you can eliminate it how would you go about getting it back. And as an after thought if you brought it back would it affect the other categories that you had set up like erasing them?

The channel doesn't currently allow you to remove the All Channels row. The "how do you get it back" issue is one of the primary reasons, but also because you'd have to keep adding and removing it every time you installed a new channel. A lot of quirky UI issues with that that I didn't want to try to tackle.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected that but didn't want to try and find it gone along with the various catagory listings I already had setup. Nice setup and great addition to the box. Thanks

Gilgamesh

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 am

TheEndless wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

Make sure you've got version 1.1 of the channel. Roku's channel store CDN has been a little slow to sync lately.

Once more you have hit the head on the nail.
All is working. Thanks.

botski

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 am

I cant wait to try this channel tonight. I love the Roku but have always wished for a more refined and tweakable UI.

jp1

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 am

I'm not sure why the people at Roku don't go ahead and hire you as part of the team. You seem to have a knack for listening to what people want and the skills to implement it. It would make good sense to get you on board and put those talents to good use. Of course then they might not let you put out all these cool channels you keep making...

It is surprising to see that someone can fulfill all these requests in their spare time while they go largely ignored by those who are being paid for it.

Anyway, thanks for all the efforts to improve the box.

kc8pql

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:59 am

jp1 wrote:
I'm not sure why the people at Roku don't go ahead and hire you as part of the team.

Why would they when he'll do it for free ? :wink:
jp1 wrote:
It is surprising to see that someone can fulfill all these requests in their spare time while they go largely ignored by those who are being paid for it.

Roku doesn't develop channels. They sell the box and develop the firmware that makes it all work.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jp1

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 pm

kc8pql wrote:
jp1 wrote:

Roku doesn't develop channels. They sell the box and develop the firmware that makes it all work.

Exactly, so the features that people want need to be developed into channels with limitations that wouldn't be in place if TheEndless had more access to the firmware. If they are going to rely on the users to implement features everyone wants then they should empower them to do it without limitations that effect usability. TheEndless already made a better Netflix channel than the original but you can't simply watch from within in the channel. The work is already done, why not allow us to enjoy it? Now it is a better home screen but you have to exit out and reenter to use it.

dnelms

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Endless... another great job!! Love the fact that the "community" fills in the gaps until Roku can get something like this in the firmware.

cwniles

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm

to those who seem to think this somehow is a failure on Roku's part please consider that for Roku to allow open source development of channels for use on it's platform is one of the primary reasons we have so much quality content.

So yeah, maybe this could or should be part of the standard U/I but the fact that they allow this sort of community development to even occur is commendable and in fact is the reason channels like this get created in the first place.

I don't know the specifics but I am quite sure trying to build an app and have it published on say, one of the "smart TV's" or an internet connected Blu-Ray would be next to, if not completely impossible for the average person.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:56 pm

kc8pql wrote:

I don't think that's entirely true. That is why they hired RokuChris after all.

dnelms wrote:
Love the fact that the "community" fills in the gaps

Love the fact that Roku makes it possible to have a "community" in the first place.

cwniles wrote:
to those who seem to think this somehow is a failure on Roku's part please consider that for Roku to allow open source development of channels for use on it's platform is one of the primary reasons we have so much quality content.

So yeah, maybe this could or should be part of the standard U/I but the fact that they allow this sort of community development to even occur is commendable and in fact is the reason channels like this get created in the first place.

Exactly this...