Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Crow550 wrote:
This still alive?

It still works, if that's what you mean, but I haven't had any extra bandwidth to work on it lately.

Well usually they appear on your site. I thought it was on the site in the past so I didn't know if it got pulled or not.

ericdouglas17

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:02 am

TheEndless wrote:
ericdouglas17 wrote:
I found this thread from a more recent thread, so I checked it out. A couple of reasons why it's not right for me right now:

1) when I press "home", it will still take me to the "real" home screen
2) I'd like it a lot if the icons were fixed, and the cursor would move around, selecting them. As it is now, the cursor is fixed on the middle position, and everything moves around. This is how the standard Roku home screen works, but it's better in that setting because it's a single row. With multiple rows, it feels a little disorienting this way.

I doubt the dev is keen on changing either of these things, so I'm out of luck. A very well done product, though! I bet a lot of folks would love this.

The dev (me), unfortunately, has no control over either of those things. The home button is not exposed to developers, for obvious reasons (think malicious app that prevents you from ever exiting it), and the grid screen that is available to developers only allows center selection.

Okie doke, thanks for the clarification. If I add more channels, it may be something I'll revisit.

Matt9876

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 am

Quotes from another thread:

Matt9876 wrote:also need the the creator of my channels to update all visible screen icons not just the active row

TheEndless wrote: I'm not sure what you mean. Could you expand on that (preferably in the My Channels thread, as it's off topic for this one)? Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just discovered this app a few days back, and like the fact you you have addressed a serious issue with the single line menu that on my ROKU has expanded to over 165 channels.

The first issue is one ROKU must fix with a firmware update to add a user option that allows the ROKU to return to a home channel after you exit the current channel, the way it is now the device returns to the single line menu centered on the channel you just exited.

The next issue is a cosmetic one with the My Channels app where the middle row icons always update fully but the top and bottom visible rows normally have two or more gray icons with a circle of dots and never update till you make that line the middle row.

Thanks for your efforts on this wonderful app, I would pay for this if it would just return to the (My Channels) app location on the main menu after exiting the current channel.
ROKU 3
ROKU 2 XS
ROKU HD
Simple TV OTA DVR

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:55 am

Matt9876 wrote:
Just discovered this app a few days back, and like the fact you you have addressed a serious issue with the single line menu that on my ROKU has expanded to over 165 channels.

The first issue is one ROKU must fix with a firmware update to add a user option that allows the ROKU to return to a home channel after you exit the current channel, the way it is now the device returns to the single line menu centered on the channel you just exited.

The next issue is a cosmetic one with the My Channels app where the middle row icons always update fully but the top and bottom visible rows normally have two or more gray icons with a circle of dots and never update till you make that line the middle row.

Thanks for your efforts on this wonderful app, I would pay for this if it would just return to the (My Channels) app location on the main menu after exiting the current channel.

Actually, both of these issues are Roku's. When I first released My Channels, it would return to the home screen with My Channels highlighted after launching other channels from within it, but they changed that behavior a couple of firmware releases later for some reason. As you noted, I can't really fix that one, but that change significantly reduced the utility of the channel, and is the primary reason I haven't put much effort into updating it since.. :(

The second issue where some icons don't display until you highlight that row is also something strange with the grid screen. By default, it sets focus to the third item in the row, which in this app doesn't really make sense, so I changed it to focus the first item instead (if your favorite channel is Netflix, then it doesn't really make much sense for you to have to scroll multiple times to get to it). The grid screen, however, doesn't seem to realize it, and only loads the icons for the items that would be displayed if the third item had focus. It's not until you highlight the row that it realizes it needs to load the others. I can probably find a way to work around it, but the root cause of the issue is the built-in grid screen component behavior. When I find some free time to do so, I'll look into possible workarounds for that...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 am

I've published a long overdue update to the My Channels channel. Some of the new features include:

• New automatically populated groups for "Most Popular" and "Recently Launched" channels, populated based on your activity.
  • Ability to rename groups
  • Ability to rearrange groups
  • Clock in header
  • Re-written from scratch for better stability
Enter/exit the channel store to get the update.

As always, your feedback is appreciated!
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Tulio

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 am

Hi TheEndless, any chance you could make My Channels or Instant Watch Browser available for us poor mugs in the UK?

All the best.
Last edited by Tulio on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 am

Tulio wrote:
Hi TheEndless, any chance you could make MyChannels or Instant Watch Browser available for us poor mugs in the UK?

All the best.

Hey Tulio. Sorry about that. I didn't realize that I hadn't made My Channels available worldwide. You should be able to install it now.
As for the Instant Watch Browser, that's not currently possible. Netflix doesn't provide a public API for accessing the non-US catalogs and accounts, yet. As soon as they do, I'll work to make it available outside of the US.

Tulio

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 pm

"Hey Tulio. Sorry about that. I didn't realize that I hadn't made My Channels available worldwide. You should be able to install it now.
As for the Instant Watch Browser, that's not currently possible. Netflix doesn't provide a public API for accessing the non-US catalogs and accounts, yet. As soon as they do, I'll work to make it available outside of the US."

Thank you, sir. You're an absolute star.

All the best!

socantra

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:43 pm

I seem to be getting no images/graphics at all on "My Channels" on my Roku1 XDS since the new update. I did enter the Channel Store and exit through the Home key and the Channel Store says I have the new update.

I do get the name of all my channels when I move over the squares and everything seems to be working fine, but all of them say "No Image Available" where the graphic is supposed to be. The clock in the header is working fine.

I remember it was sometimes fairly slow for the images to populate in the past and a few of them sometimes wouldn't show up, but tonight its been on for a good ten minutes and none have showed up. Other channels, including Instant Watch Browser working fine. Did a soft reset and it made no difference.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 am

socantra wrote:
I seem to be getting no images/graphics at all on "My Channels" on my Roku1 XDS since the new update. I did enter the Channel Store and exit through the Home key and the Channel Store says I have the new update.

I do get the name of all my channels when I move over the squares and everything seems to be working fine, but all of them say "No Image Available" where the graphic is supposed to be. The clock in the header is working fine.

I remember it was sometimes fairly slow for the images to populate in the past and a few of them sometimes wouldn't show up, but tonight its been on for a good ten minutes and none have showed up. Other channels, including Instant Watch Browser working fine. Did a soft reset and it made no difference.

Oops. That'll teach me not to test on a Roku 1 :oops:. Enter/exit the channel store to update. Sorry about that.

socantra

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:13 am

Works like a charm. Looks much more attractive. Thanks, :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

STR1PES

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 am

Flipping awesome. Just posted the link to this forum in the comments section on the Roku Facebook page!

dwanthny

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 pm

From the first post in this thread:
My Channels is a home screen channel organizer and launcher. It allows you to group all of the channels currently installed on your Roku into logical groups for faster and easier access to your favorites.

Now that I have a Roku 3 it is time to bring this channel back to the front. I stopped using this channel many moons ago because after I watched a channel, when I left that channel I was dumped into the middle of my channel lineup, usually nowhere near the My Channels app.

But with this new interface I knew it was easy to get back to the first channel on the list (by switching to the channel store and back to My Channels) so that is where I put the My Channels app. I was surprised though that after watching a channel and backing out of that channel I ended up in the main screen with the My Channels app highlighted and waiting for me to use it again.

Added to the surprise of being right back at the My Channels app are the extra features from the update to the channel in February.

If you haven't tried using this channel give it a try. After you set it up it allows family and friends an easier go at finding channels that you have installed.

I have the following rows setup for my use.

Search
TV & Movies
Tech TV
Internet Videos
News
Science & Education
Radio & Music
Cooking
Sports, Fitness & Health
Video On Demand
Apps & Games
Most Popular
Recently Launched Channels
All Channels

I added the appropriate channels to each category (you can have a channel in more than one category) and immediately it was easier to find content. Even if you don't ever use it it will help the Babysitter or house guest.
Last edited by dwanthny on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonzotek

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am

beq wrote:
dwanthny wrote:
After you set it up it allows family and friends an easier go at finding channels that you have installed.

I agree, very useful to set up for others new to Roku.

I've been meaning to ask, how come it always shows a channel labeled "Play On Roku" v 2.0.8? Is this some kind of hidden Roku channel, or from one of the screensavers?

I'm conflicted about the recently added Most Popular and Recently Launched groups. I can certainly see their usefulness, but at the same time they fill the screen at the top and push my own groups down out of sight, when I actually wanted my family to first get used to how I organized my own channel groupings.

Also, since My Channels was developed for the old UI, it's understandable that it shows a channel count 4 more than what's shown on the Roku 3 home screen which has a new paradigm.

My Channels counts:
- Roku Search (since old Roku UI presented this in the channel row)
- New Roku Experience (My Channel only shows this on Roku 2 but not Roku 3)
- Roku Spotlight (old Roku UI presented this in the channel row; curiously I don't think Roku 3 even shows this anymore but My Channels does, on both hardware)
- Roku Channel Store (since old Roku UI presented this in the channel row)
- Play On Roku (again not sure what this is)
Play On Roku is the feature that allows the smartphone Roku apps to send music and photos to Roku, in a similar manner to AirPlay on AppleTV. The channel is usually invisible on the Roku, but it shows up in the data that is sent from the Roku to any network remotes for them to show the channel icons. I believe TheEndless also uses the same data to populate "My Channels", if so that's how it would end up showing there.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

dwanthny

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 pm

beq wrote:
I'm conflicted about the recently added Most Popular and Recently Launched groups. I can certainly see their usefulness, but at the same time they fill the screen at the top and push my own groups down out of sight, when I actually wanted my family to first get used to how I organized my own channel groupings.

I agree it would be nice to be able to move or hide these rows.