Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
texashildy
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
texashildy wrote:
I've been playing around with this today and it looks great! The only thing I wish I could do is easily organize the rows in alphabetic order starting at the left side of the screen (yes, I'm one of those people). I tried rearranging them with the current system of choosing channel position by number, but it was tedious and difficult to recall from memory what position I should select since the row isn't viewable while reordering the channels. Really, I can live with it as is, but you are asking for feedback so there it is.

As always, GREAT JOB. It looks awesome!


I must have had my thinking cap on when i did mine.
I wrote it all out on paper ( old habits die hard ) before i did it.
And it worked out great for me.
I hate to say it but you can always erase it all and redo it again.

I could erase and start over, that is true... but I would have to start with the third channel I wanted to add alphabetically and end with the first two because channel #1 is in the middle of five when they are displayed. Make sense? If you have five channels listed, they show:

4 5 1 2 3

So if I added them all in alphabetic order, they'd show like this:

D E A B C

Not at all a deal breaker, like I said before, but it would be nice to have an easier way for us OCD folks.
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9232
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:16 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Yeah, it would be nice to be able to organize the channels ala the Roku Home Screen method.

I wanted to do that, but the SDK doesn't provide a method to do so at this time.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
Brotha
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: The Swan

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:08 pm

texashildy wrote:
I could erase and start over, that is true... but I would have to start with the third channel I wanted to add alphabetically and end with the first two because channel #1 is in the middle of five when they are displayed. Make sense? If you have five channels listed, they show:

4 5 1 2 3

So if I added them all in alphabetic order, they'd show like this:

D E A B C

Not at all a deal breaker, like I said before, but it would be nice to have an easier way for us OCD folks.


lol, yes! me too. but then what if you add a channel to that group in the future? :o
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.
 
texashildy
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:37 pm

I noticed something else tonight. When accessing Netflix from this channel, it seemed that my viewed episode memory was lost. Meaning, when I opened up a TV series that I've been watching, it went to the first episode and when selecting a different episode it didn't show any of them as being viewed. I exited out of My Channels and went back into Netflix and the episode memory was there.
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
 
Garp
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 am

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:25 am

Another great addition, but I have noticed an error. When I access MP3Tunes through My Channels, it says I have no playlist whatsoever. If I access it directly, everything is there as expected.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9232
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:48 pm

texashildy wrote:
I noticed something else tonight. When accessing Netflix from this channel, it seemed that my viewed episode memory was lost. Meaning, when I opened up a TV series that I've been watching, it went to the first episode and when selecting a different episode it didn't show any of them as being viewed. I exited out of My Channels and went back into Netflix and the episode memory was there.

Garp wrote:
Another great addition, but I have noticed an error. When I access MP3Tunes through My Channels, it says I have no playlist whatsoever. If I access it directly, everything is there as expected.

Do either of you have access to a network based remote that can launch channels (like DVPRemote)? I'd be interested to see if you get the same results with it, since I'm launching the channels in exactly the same way. Also, does this happen every time, or sporadically?

Unfortunately, I won't be back home until the end of the week, so I don't have the ability to try to reproduce it until then.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
Garp
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 am

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Sun May 01, 2011 3:10 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Do either of you have access to a network based remote that can launch channels (like DVPRemote)? I'd be interested to see if you get the same results with it, since I'm launching the channels in exactly the same way. Also, does this happen every time, or sporadically?


I don't, sorry.
It happens every time.

Looking forward to the new channel coming soon, too, BTW. Sounds like a winner.
 
Brotha
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: The Swan

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Thu May 05, 2011 6:29 am

last night i had to go through the steps to delete a group 3 times before it actually deleted.
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9232
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 am

Brotha wrote:
last night i had to go through the steps to delete a group 3 times before it actually deleted.

Hrmm. That sounds like a bug. :p
Can you provide some more details? How many channels did you have in the group? Where was the group in relation to other groups (first, third, last, etc.)? Can you reproduce the issue? Anything else that seems relevant?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
Brotha
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: The Swan

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Thu May 05, 2011 8:28 am

TheEndless wrote:
Brotha wrote:
last night i had to go through the steps to delete a group 3 times before it actually deleted.

Hrmm. That sounds like a bug. :p
Can you provide some more details? How many channels did you have in the group? Where was the group in relation to other groups (first, third, last, etc.)? Can you reproduce the issue? Anything else that seems relevant?


it was the 2nd of only groups i had. it had 3 channels in it. some of the channels were private channels. initially the individual channels vanished but the group remained. i won't have a chance to try again until saturday.
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:52 pm

This still alive?
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9232
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Crow550 wrote:
This still alive?

It still works, if that's what you mean, but I haven't had any extra bandwidth to work on it lately.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
ericdouglas17
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:26 pm

I found this thread from a more recent thread, so I checked it out. A couple of reasons why it's not right for me right now:

1) when I press "home", it will still take me to the "real" home screen
2) I'd like it a lot if the icons were fixed, and the cursor would move around, selecting them. As it is now, the cursor is fixed on the middle position, and everything moves around. This is how the standard Roku home screen works, but it's better in that setting because it's a single row. With multiple rows, it feels a little disorienting this way.

I doubt the dev is keen on changing either of these things, so I'm out of luck. A very well done product, though! I bet a lot of folks would love this.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 9232
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:55 pm

ericdouglas17 wrote:
I found this thread from a more recent thread, so I checked it out. A couple of reasons why it's not right for me right now:

1) when I press "home", it will still take me to the "real" home screen
2) I'd like it a lot if the icons were fixed, and the cursor would move around, selecting them. As it is now, the cursor is fixed on the middle position, and everything moves around. This is how the standard Roku home screen works, but it's better in that setting because it's a single row. With multiple rows, it feels a little disorienting this way.

I doubt the dev is keen on changing either of these things, so I'm out of luck. A very well done product, though! I bet a lot of folks would love this.

The dev (me), unfortunately, has no control over either of those things. The home button is not exposed to developers, for obvious reasons (think malicious app that prevents you from ever exiting it), and the grid screen that is available to developers only allows center selection.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
socantra
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:32 am

I just started using it, because I've only recently gotten enough channels to make it worth the trouble to organize them. I'm not really beta testing and not looking for issues, but it seems to be working very smoothly and its quirks seem to be the sort of quirks that all Roku apps have.

Another nice job TheEndless. It is quickly becoming a goto app for me.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Coskypilot, mschnebly, TomMCE and 26 guests