Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organ

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:44 pm

dwanthny wrote:
beq wrote:
I'm conflicted about the recently added Most Popular and Recently Launched groups. I can certainly see their usefulness, but at the same time they fill the screen at the top and push my own groups down out of sight, when I actually wanted my family to first get used to how I organized my own channel groupings.

I agree it would be nice to be able to move or hide these rows.

Ask and ye shall receive (when technically feasible and time permits).

I've just published an update to the channel that allows you to move the All Channels, Most Popular, and Recently Launched groups. I did very limited testing, so let me know if you have any problems with it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dwanthny

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:55 pm

TheEndless wrote:
I've just published an update to the channel that allows you to move the All Channels, Most Popular, and Recently Launched groups. I did very limited testing, so let me know if you have any problems with it.

Preliminary testing on my Roku 3 works well. I was able to move those three rows and set things up the way I want. I launched a couple of channels and things seem fine.

Later I may bring back a row or 2 because they are interesting additions to the interface.

Thanks!

ronfelder

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 am

TheEndless wrote:
I'm pleased to announce the availability of a preview version of a channel I'm currently working on... this is a preview/beta release, so please expect some of the behavior to improve as it's refined.

Tired of endlessly scrolling left and right on the Roku home screen, trying to find the channel you want to watch? My Channels is the solution!
My Channels is a home screen channel organizer and launcher. It allows you to group all of the channels currently installed on your Roku into logical groups for faster and easier access to your favorites.

Simply install the channel and locate it at the front of your channel list, then launch it anytime you want quick access to your favorite channels!

My Channels is easy to configure. When you first launch the channel, you will be presented with a single row of all of the channels currently installed on your Roku. Press either the [*] or [Play/Pause] button on your remote, and select the option to create a new group. Once you've created your group, highlight a channel you want in that group and hit the [*] or [Play/Pause] button and choose to add it to your new group. You can as many groups as you want, and any channel can be in as many groups as you want (see the screenshot below for an example). When you're ready to launch a channel, simply highlight it, and press the [OK/Select] button on your remote. When you exit that channel, you should be returned to the home screen with the My Channels channel already highlighted and ready to be relaunched!

You can add the channel to your Roku via this URL: https://owner.roku.com/add/MyChannels

Please do remember that this is still a beta version, so you may experience some strange behavior. I'm anxious to hear your feedback! I hope you find it useful!

Nice idea, but my question is what's the advantage of this over the new Roku UI interface on the 3 and the soon to be release update for the 2? Perhaps you designed this for people still using the 1?
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

dwanthny

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:00 am

ronfelder wrote:
Nice idea, but my question is what's the advantage of this over the new Roku UI interface on the 3 and the soon to be release update for the 2? Perhaps you designed this for people still using the 1?

Read what you quoted above. The new interface does not clearly identify any categories, so the Roku 1, 2 and 3 models all still suffer from this lack of clarity. You still have a jumble of icons that may or may not be clear as to what they contain.

I commented on exactly this 2 days ago, read my comments here. Since that post he has made it more flexible by adding the changes requested.

The bottom line is it allows you to clearly categorize all of your channels to the point that the babysitter or any house guest could easily find channels that fall into a category they might like without guessing.

Here is a bad picture showing the top three rows (of eleven rows that I customized by category) of My Channels as I have it setup currently. You can see that HuluPlus is channel 2 of 16 channels on that row.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm

beq wrote:
Is there a way to clear the Recently Launched and Most Popular rows without having to delete and re-install the app? In the course of setting it up on some Roku's for family members, I sometimes launched a channel here and there from the app accidentally, and I'd rather keep these rows empty for their first use.

If I do delete My Channels and immediately re-install it on one Roku, is there a risk of the other Roku's (on the same account) somehow losing the custom groups I had already set up?

EDIT: Oh that's weird, I just deleted and re-added My Channels on one Roku, but the channel settings seem to have been retained. Is this normal for Roku channels after being deleted?

There is not currently a way to clear those rows. There is no risk of the removing of the channel affecting the channel on another box, unless it's on the same account and you allow enough time for the other box to sync with the channel store.

A channel retaining the settings when removed is not normal. Most likely, you have one of my other channels installed that's signed with the same key, so it kept the persisted settings alive.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

TheEndless
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 7:31 am

beq wrote:
Oh OK, thanks for the info. So channels from the same developer are signed with the same key?

Not always, and most of mine aren't, but it's possible with "My Channels".

TheEndless
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 am

beq wrote:
OK thanks, it's not a big deal for me so I'll just leave it as is. I do have all your paid channels and extra themes/etc (bought multiple times on different Roku accounts), just curious if you happen to remember which ones share the same key as My Channels.

BTW how come you didn't publish this in the Roku channel store, it's certainly useful.

None of my public channels share keys, and most of my private ones don't. The original release of "My Channels" was a rush job, so I probably inadvertently took a shortcut there. I never did a public release of it, because I honestly didn't expect it to be useful for very long.

stlouieblues

Sat May 04, 2013 5:49 am

i just tried your channel and I really like it. Easy to use and organize. I found that after I select a channel and exit it (home or back buttons), that I'm returned to that channel in the middle of the home screen. Not the my channels location. I have a Roku HD.

dwanthny

Sat May 04, 2013 4:33 pm

stlouieblues wrote:
i just tried your channel and I really like it. Easy to use and organize. I found that after I select a channel and exit it (home or back buttons), that I'm returned to that channel in the middle of the home screen. Not the my channels location. I have a Roku HD.

Do you have the new User Interface?

When I used this channel before the Roku 3 interface the fact that I was dumped back to a spot that corresponded to the channel I was viewing and not anywhere close to the My Channels app drove me crazy. With the new interface in the Roku 3 I am dumped back to the main menu but with the My Channels app highlighted ready to be used again.

Hopefully when your device updates to the new UI it will be more friendly in where it dumps you.

stlouieblues

Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 am

No they haven't rolled out the new interface to my device yet. I'll provide status once I get it. Thanks

giantslor

Thu May 16, 2013 3:26 pm

I want to thank TheEndless for this excellent and useful channel. You thought it wouldn't be useful for very long, but I see it becoming more useful because: 1) As time goes on and more channels are made available, more and more people will accumulate an unwieldy number of installed channels (I myself have 269). My Channels is the solution. And, 2) The new Roku interface made My Channels so much more useful, because now exiting a channel launched from My Channels brings one back to My Channels in the channel list.

My Channels will lose its usefulness only if Roku incorporates its features into their own My Channels screen.

A couple questions. I stupidly "launched" (although it doesn't do anything) the normally-invisible "Play On Roku" channel, and now it's stuck in the Most Popular Channels section. Could you please devise a fix for this, if there's not one already?

Also, if I buy a new Roku 3 and link it to my account, will My Channels automatically install with all channel, categorization and ordering data intact?

TheEndless
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2013 3:42 pm

giantslor wrote:
A couple questions. I stupidly "launched" (although it doesn't do anything) the normally-invisible "Play On Roku" channel, and now it's stuck in the Most Popular Channels section. Could you please devise a fix for this, if there's not one already?

Hrmm.. that's not currently possible. I'll look into it.

giantslor wrote:
Also, if I buy a new Roku 3 and link it to my account, will My Channels automatically install with all channel, categorization and ordering data intact?

I'm afraid not. The channel data is stored locally on the box, so it's device specific. Sorry.

giantslor

Thu May 16, 2013 4:34 pm

TheEndless wrote:
giantslor wrote:

Hrmm.. that's not currently possible. I'll look into it.

Thank you.

TheEndless wrote:
giantslor wrote:

I'm afraid not. The channel data is stored locally on the box, so it's device specific. Sorry.

:'(

thebamafan

Re: [Private Channel] My Channels: home screen channel organizer

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:55 am

Howdy,
I love the idea of My Channels, but are there any issues that cause it to lose all of the channels that I have created?  I ask because it just happened. Thankfully I am a new user and I only had a couple groups created and so it wasn't too painful but it will be if it happens again.  Is there something that I did to cause it?  Thanks.