Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chadwrite
Topic Author

Closed Captions from Netflix on Roky

Tue May 10, 2011 9:48 pm

I've heard rumors about Roku making Netflix Captions available for the hard of hearing. Netflix has at least 30% of its library now aptioned, and will have 80% soon. The Netflix captions are available now on many platforms including Playstation. When will Roku make Netflix captions available? We need this service, please.

Losan

Re: Closed Captions from Netflix on Roky

Tue May 10, 2011 11:18 pm

I totally agree.

Buckeye911

Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 am

What's a Roky? :wink:

Village Idiot

Wed May 11, 2011 3:50 am

Buckeye911 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roky_Erickson

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed May 11, 2011 5:14 am

chadwrite wrote:
When will Roku make Netflix captions available? We need this service, please.

Do a search. There are a number on long threads about CC. Bottom line is Roku can display CC and it will happen when Netflix makes the captions available on the Roku compatible streams.
There isn't just one set of streams that all devices use. Different devices use different streaming methods.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jeffrok

Wed May 11, 2011 7:53 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Buckeye911 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roky_Erickson

Roky is what everyone called Roku when it was just a wee tyke.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

-LD

Thu May 12, 2011 1:27 pm

jheartney

Thu May 12, 2011 2:06 pm

The iPad just added captioning to its Netflix application. That makes Roku the last Netflix platform around our house that STILL doesn't offer captioning. :(

Village Idiot

Thu May 12, 2011 2:16 pm

This is a dead horse. Roku is never going to do it.
It would be up to Netflix to do it specifically just for roku streaming.

CalvinMcGowan

Thu May 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
This is a dead horse.

Hardly.

Village Idiot wrote:
Roku is never going to do it.

Of course not, it's not Roku's responsibility.

Village Idiot wrote:
It would be up to Netflix to do it specifically just for roku streaming.

Exactly; so, people should be addressing Netflix, not Roku, to add the closed-captioning feature.

buckminster

Thu May 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I wonder how Netflix determines priority of who gets captions? Is it based off of % of their customers? I would guess there are more people with Wiis, iPads, PS3s, etc. than Roku devices, hence the low man on the totem pole situation Roku is in.

kc8pql

Thu May 12, 2011 7:49 pm

^ I think it's has more to do with when each device last had it's API updated. Roku's turn in the rotation should be coming up soon.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jheartney

Thu May 12, 2011 9:26 pm

kc8pql wrote:
^ I think it's has more to do with when each device last had it's API updated. Roku's turn in the rotation should be coming up soon.

Well, Roku's API already supports captions. I know this because I can put them up on my Roku from a local video file using a .srt in the same directory. If Netflix is waiting for the API to implement captions, they're making BS excuses.

stratcat96

Thu May 12, 2011 9:32 pm

jheartney wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

Well, Roku's API already supports captions. I know this because I can put them up on my Roku from a local video file using a .srt in the same directory. If Netflix is waiting for the API to implement captions, they're making BS excuses.

yes *Roku* can display subtitles... Even if it was as "easy" to just embed every streamed movie with a subtitles file, how many streams would have to be redone? Four for non HD movies and 5 for HD all multiplied by 1000's of movies? That would take a VERY long time... The easier way is to have a separate subtitles file for each movie that is accessible with each movie. If that's what they're having to do, it's something that the Roku can only keep track of with an updated api. That takes time, that's all there is to it. In the end we all can only speculate on how they're going to do it but the one thing that is certain is its not as simple as pressing "send" on their computer screen.

jheartney

Fri May 13, 2011 6:18 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
jheartney wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

yes *Roku* can display subtitles... Even if it was as "easy" to just embed every streamed movie with a subtitles file, how many streams would have to be redone? Four for non HD movies and 5 for HD all multiplied by 1000's of movies? That would take a VERY long time... The easier way is to have a separate subtitles file for each movie that is accessible with each movie. If that's what they're having to do, it's something that the Roku can only keep track of with an updated api. That takes time, that's all there is to it. In the end we all can only speculate on how they're going to do it but the one thing that is certain is its not as simple as pressing "send" on their computer screen.

I don't think anyone was suggesting they embed a bitmapped set of captions burned into the video image data; the idea always was that the caption data (as text) gets sent along with the video and that the Roku draws the type onto an overlay of the video. (Some variant of this is how it's done on all the other platforms that support Netflix captioning.) Since we know the Roku can display captions sent this way (Hulu Plus and the Roku's unofficial YouTube channel support it already), color me skeptical that it involves some major reprogramming effort. I think the reason it hasn't been done is that somebody (probably Netflix) doesn't think it's a priority to get it done, so they haven't bothered.