Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dellsweig
Topic Author

side-loading youtube channel

Sun May 29, 2011 6:54 am

Greetings

I am one of the lucky ones to get the YouTube channel while it was a private channel amd it works great (last time i looked :D )

My daughter just got a Roku - is there any way to put my Roku in debug mode and copy off the YouTube channel and then 'side load' it onto my daughters Roku?
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: side-loading youtube channel

Sun May 29, 2011 6:58 am

I don't think Roku would allow this discussion on their forums- be careful.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

KennyJ

Sun May 29, 2011 7:58 am

If you had the code, yes... but considering the code was written by someone who now works for Roku, I doubt he will hand it out.

dellsweig
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2011 8:06 am

KennyJ wrote:
If you had the code, yes... but considering the code was written by someone who now works for Roku, I doubt he will hand it out.

I have the code and I understand the sensitivity

If a fellow roku user and one who has been here since the early days - if someone want to pm me or email me the process I would appreciate it
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

Gilgamesh

Sun May 29, 2011 8:29 am

dellsweig wrote:

If a fellow roku user and one who has been here since the early days - if someone want to pm me or email me the process I would appreciate it

The procedure for loading a ch is explained in great detail in the SDK and questions are answered in the developer's forum.

scyber

Sun May 29, 2011 8:42 am

dellsweig wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

I'm pretty sure Kenny was refering to the source code of the channel, not the private channel code.

stratcat96

Sun May 29, 2011 9:06 am

The creator of the channel was Nowhereman (RokuChris) and he has made it clear that he will not be distributing the source code. There is no way to "copy" off the channel from a unit is installed on. If you want her to have a channel that you do, link her Roku to your account.

KennyJ

Sun May 29, 2011 11:01 am

Yes.. you would need to have the source code to side-load it.

mommom

Sun May 29, 2011 1:15 pm

If I didnt already have YouTube I would try Blinx or RateRix

dividebyzer0

Tue May 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Someone speculated that the upcoming Firmware 3.0 would, in the course of bringing fixes & improvements, BREAK the Youtube channel for those of us with it installed :| Anyone know about this?
HD-XR model N1101 Firmware 3.1 Bld 1182
Linksys BEFSX41 <==> AT&T ADSL
Channel Master CM-7000 HDTV Tuner
27" RCA ColorTrak circa 1992. Scissors! ---8<-----

stratcat96

Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Those that are beta testing 3.0 couldn't say anything one way or another because of NDA

mishmash

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:00 am

stratcat96 wrote:
There is no way to "copy" off the channel from a unit is installed on. If you want her to have a channel that you do, link her Roku to your account.

Ok, this is important. We just got another Roku too. I have the private Youtube channel on the original Roku and it works great. Are you saying I can link the new Roku to my original Roku account and I will have the Roku channel automatically and/or I will be able to successfully input the code for the Roku private channel???

I too have been obsessing how to get this "must-have" YouTube feature on an additional Roku. PlayON (http://www.playon.tv) works adequately to get YouTube but definitely doesn't stack up to NoWhereMan's version....

stratcat96

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:03 am

yes, if you link the new Roku to your already existing account, that will have all the channels that you do, including Youtube
Last edited by stratcat96 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kc8pql

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:04 am

mishmash wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:
There is no way to "copy" off the channel from a unit is installed on. If you want her to have a channel that you do, link her Roku to your account.

Ok, this is important. We just got another Roku too. I have the private Youtube channel on the original Roku and it works great. Are you saying I can link the new Roku to my original Roku account and I will have the Roku channel automatically...

Yes.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R