Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Grandpa

Re: GBTV.com

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 am

I sent an email to ROKU requesting info and received a reply they knew nothing about GBTV.
Perhaps I missed it but has there been any official announcement that ROKU will be carrying the channel and when?

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 am

Grandpa wrote:
I sent an email to ROKU requesting info and received a reply they knew nothing about GBTV.
Perhaps I missed it but has there been any official announcement that ROKU will be carrying the channel and when?
Roku doesn't necessarily create partnerships with every channel developer. It has an open SDK, which is free to everyone, that can be used to create channels. Then those channels can be released as public or private channels. A 'private' channel can only be installed by putting a code into a form in your Roku owner account page on roku.com. The channel developer generally distributes the code via their webpage, forum postings, or email. For public channels, the developer submits the channel to roku for review, and if approved, Roku publishes the channel to their channel store, where you can install it directly from your Roku box on your tv.

GBTV isn't due to be released on Roku until September 12th (http://www.gbtv.com/have-a-question/what-is-gbtv/ ). They will have to follow one of the above mentioned procedures prior to that to make the Roku channel available to users. So Roku may not have any more info than we do, at least until the GBTV channel developer submits the channel to Roku. And they may not make any official announcement. New channels are added to Roku almost every week. Not all of them get announced in an official way.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

Grandpa

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 am

Thank you. Perhaps they'll have an iPad app.

cwniles

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 am

well I think you should still get a Roku ;-) but let's be "fair and balanced" here....the second post in this thread is pasted below and seems to clarify how to access GBTV

vbathory wrote:
I will be checking the channel out when they release it, might be good he makes some nice documentary's.

Watch on Multiple Devices

GBTV will be available on your computer, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Roku®. Coming September 12th.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

mommom

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:55 pm

While I do not like Beck,I do see how this could be an opening to show others how to monetize a channel on Roku.I believe he will be charging $4.99 per month,and $10 or thereabouts for some additional access that includes video of his radio show.Knowing Beck,he will be finding ways to use advertising from gold companies,etc ,that ties in with his commentary where he tells people that the economy is going to fail,you should buy gold,and other such money making efforts.Whether or not I agree with him or think he is ethical in what he says or does,I do see that he is a money making genius .Other providers who may be more to my liking may watch what he does and find ways to finance their own channels.So its all good.

puttzer

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:00 pm

As a life time Mensan and financial conservative politically: I am always amazed, that liberals must "shout down" anything they don't want to hear and on topics there is no need to comment.

mommom

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:29 pm

You do not get the irony of that statement.

:lol: :lol:

Village Idiot

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:12 am

puttzer wrote:
As a life time Mensan and financial conservative politically: I am always amazed, that liberals must "shout down" anything they don't want to hear and on topics there is no need to comment.

i agree with you. There were no need for those shout down comments.
I didn't see any irony in there in your statement.
But i do see some jealousy in those who do.

mbratch

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:58 pm

ryanxwalton wrote:
I have no plans to ever pay for hate filled rhetoric streamed to my Roku every day, but I know those Tea Party nut jobs will!

Just to illustrate the very definition of prejudice. ;)
http://www.codekinesis.com

socantra

Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:40 pm

There really is no need for anyone, no matter what their politics, to keep bumping this thread every week or two, just so they can point out how offensive those who disagree with them are. Take it to the house people, get a life and quit using the Roku support forum for your personal politicking.....................PLEASE.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.