Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cwniles

Re: Walmart now sells Rokus!?!

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:23 pm

well la-di-da
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

mommom

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 pm

So last night my DD wanted me to meet her at Walmart and help her buy pool chemicals.While there we looked for Roku but they didn't have any,no one knew what we were talking about.So I guess not all of the stores yet.

I never put a CC on file,when it asked I just ignored it and clicked past it somehow.Don't know if that still works.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:52 pm

cwniles wrote:
It's actually the closest grocery store to my house and it's open 24 hours....can't really help but go there from time to time.

We've found that they tend to have the freshest produce in the area due to their higher turnover.

I like Walmart. Sometimes I go to the one next to my house. Other times I go to the one across the street from my house. And sometimes, when I feel like taking a trip, I'll go to the one a mile down the road from my house.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

kc8pql

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:00 pm

TheEndless wrote:
I like Walmart. Sometimes I go to the one next to my house. Other times I go to the one across the street from my house. And sometimes, when I feel like taking a trip, I'll go to the one a mile down the road from my house.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jeffrok

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm

mauiman wrote:
What is a Walmart?
I stopped thinking about them (and patronizing their stores) when they fired the elderly
door greeter who defended himself after somebody clocked him.
Walmart is evil.

THEY didn't fire him, the manager of that Walmart fired him. You can't blame an entire chain of stores for one manager's indiscretion.

And plus, Shawn asked us to stop complaining about Walmart and get back on topic.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm

jeffrok wrote:
mauiman wrote:
And plus, Shawn asked us to stop complaining about Walmart and get back on topic.

Please? :) Pretty please? :)

I don't want to lock a thread, but will if I have to. Stay on topic, Roku'ers.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

DaBronx

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

West Ham

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
I did not say that this is a loosing move for Roku

Oh: "everyday middle class people" really means stupid people of normal income. Whenever you deal with average you deal with stupidity. (See any political campaign or 99% of any twitter conversation.)

ORLY

jcmolet

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:15 pm

cwniles wrote:
Engadget ( via Zatz Not Funny) brought up an interesting point to this whole Wal-Mart thing that I don't think I saw mentioned here yet.....doesn't Wal-Mart now own Vudu? And could this mean a possible Vudu channel on the Roku? interesting

and yeah, it's easy to bag on Wal-Mart but what's the point? It's actually the closest grocery store to my house and it's open 24 hours....can't really help but go there from time to time.

dang it gonzo, I am not retyping my post, I don't care if you did beat me by 30 seconds ;-)

I posted the same basic comment at both sites. 8) Look back on the second page of this thread. Vudu is a great channel. The Vudu app on the PS3 is hands down the best (HD, HDX video and DD 5.1 audio) streaming app/channel currently available. I Would love to see it come to Roku!

WardFamily

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 pm

No matter if you like WalMart or not this is BIG for Roku.
http://lindenalabama.net

jcmolet

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:58 am

Another interesting question regarding Walmart potentially bringing a Vudu channel to Roku is will the Roku players support the full compliment of Vudu options, specifically DD 5.1 audio on the HD and HDX feeds.

MoonChaser

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:01 am

I've never really cared for that particular retailer, and refuse to shop there. Out of respect for our mods, I won't get into the stereotypical clientelle or the policies of certain individual stores... but I hope this won't end up hurting Roku in the end. They are known for putting the choke-hold on their suppliers, demanding very high quantities at razor-thin margins. It is possible that R&D could suffer due to this low return as there may not be enough money to put too much into making our beloved box better. Also, Tech Support could end up being much much worse for the same reason, even if the RATE of user problems remains the same (let's assume for a moment the average Roku purchaser at WM has the same level of tech savvy as those of us who bought direct, more customers = more potential questions) if the profit margin isn't enough to cover hiring additional workers to handle the increased call load. That situation could lead to increased hold times and less attention by tech support agents.

I came across an article several years ago in a business magazine that discusses the effects dealing with WM has on suppliers. Depending on your viewpoints, this article could be seen as either positive or negative, but is worth reading either way.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html?page=0%2C0

The added exposure is a good thing, and it very well may lead to more mainstream content providers developing channels for the box, but I sincerely hope the risks of going through them don't prove to be too high a cost overall for Roku.

mauiman

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:14 am

jeffrok wrote:
mauiman wrote:
What is a Walmart?
I stopped thinking about them (and patronizing their stores) when they fired the elderly
door greeter who defended himself after somebody clocked him.
Walmart is evil.

THEY didn't fire him, the manager of that Walmart fired him. You can't blame an entire chain of stores for one manager's indiscretion.

I'm not "complaining" about them. I'm stating a well known fact. Perhaps Walmart main office didn't fire him,
but their policy did. Fired for defending oneself only serves to play into the hands of criminals.
Good luck to Roku with Walmart.

Village Idiot

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:58 pm

MoonChaser wrote:
I've never really cared for that particular retailer, and refuse to shop there. Out of respect for our mods, I won't get into the stereotypical clientelle or the policies of certain individual stores... but I hope this won't end up hurting Roku in the end. They are known for putting the choke-hold on their suppliers, demanding very high quantities at razor-thin margins. It is possible that R&D could suffer due to this low return as there may not be enough money to put too much into making our beloved box better. Also, Tech Support could end up being much much worse for the same reason, even if the RATE of user problems remains the same (let's assume for a moment the average Roku purchaser at WM has the same level of tech savvy as those of us who bought direct, more customers = more potential questions) if the profit margin isn't enough to cover hiring additional workers to handle the increased call load. That situation could lead to increased hold times and less attention by tech support agents.

I can't buy into this.
That's like saying we shouldn't build anymore new cars because people don't know how to fix them, and it cost the dealership money for repair guys.
Tech Support is part of the game just like car warranty service is.
Roku can always put in every WalMart a cardboard cut out of RokuShawnS holding a list of common solutions to typical problems.
Seriously putting your product out in as many stores as you can has always been a good sales idea.
More sales means more profit.
More profit means more money to spend on tech support, R&D, ShawnS secret early retirement fund, and whatever else goes into putting out these boxes.
I hope roku starts putting out these boxes everywhere. Would love them in Target, K-Mart, Dollar Store, CVS, any store and every store.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 pm

MoonChaser wrote:
ShawnS secret early retirement fund

Still trying to negotiate that part :mrgreen: Okay, back on topic :)

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan