TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Walmart now sells Rokus!?!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 pm

DaBronx wrote:
ryanxwalton wrote:
When did this start happening?

From October 2010 -
The launch of the NTV250 marks the first Roku device that's going be made readily available in brick-and-mortar store shelves across the U.S., according to a Roku spokesperson. The device will be offered at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and several other places.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20019627-17.html

That's the Netgear version, which I'm pretty sure has either been discontinued or made redundant by the official Roku branded models.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

ryanxwalton
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 pm

TheEndless wrote:
DaBronx wrote:
ryanxwalton wrote:
When did this start happening?

From October 2010 -
The launch of the NTV250 marks the first Roku device that's going be made readily available in brick-and-mortar store shelves across the U.S., according to a Roku spokesperson. The device will be offered at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and several other places.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20019627-17.html

That's the Netgear version, which I'm pretty sure has either been discontinued or made redundant by the official Roku branded models.

Radioshack still sells the Netgear version. It's on sale here in Minnesota for 78.99. It's actually the XDS.
If it doesn't work, keep beating it with the hammer till it does.

TheEndless

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 pm

ryanxwalton wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Radioshack still sells the Netgear version. It's on sale here in Minnesota for 78.99. It's actually the XDS.

My main point was that it was a different version than the one you were referring to being sold at Walmart (and the Netgear is actually an XD, not an XDS).
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

ryanxwalton
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:23 pm

TheEndless wrote:
My main point was that it was a different version than the one you were referring to being sold at Walmart (and the Netgear is actually an XD, not an XDS).

Well excuse me. I just thought it was cool that Walmart sells Rokus because I have a ton of people in my town asking me to set them up once they buy it.
Regardless of the redneck jokes, I believe that if you want to expand your customer base, selling them at places like Walmart and Target will accomplish this.

TheEndless

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 pm

ryanxwalton wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Well excuse me. I just thought it was cool that Walmart sells Rokus because I have a ton of people in my town asking me to set them up once they buy it.
Regardless of the redneck jokes, I believe that if you want to expand your customer base, selling them at places like Walmart and Target will accomplish this.

I'm on your side. I was clarifying DaBronx's comment that they've been in Walmart since October. The Roku branded versions have only been available for a couple of months at most. I think it's awesome that they're expanding their retail exposure!

troydogtvtvtv

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:44 am

I see this as a good thing for ROKU in for the stores. Be it walmart, k mart, sears, target, fred's, dollar store. Not every town has a best buy or a tv shop some only have a walmart or lowes. One thing for the buyer no wait time in shipping they can see the item in person before they buy it, For the company it gets there name out there in places that might not have heard of them. Local hotels might see the item an buy a case of them. So on an so on

jcmolet

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:17 am

Now that Roku has established a retail relationship with Walmart, I wonder if that improves the chances we will see a Vudu channel come to the Roku players. It would seem to be a nice fit. Walmart selling a device that supports its streaming service. The relationship would seem to lend itself to some good cross promotion/advertisement opportunities.

Brotha

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:54 am

jhernes wrote:

it doesn't say that a credit card is required AFTER purchase.
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.

SuetyStanes

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:59 am

Brotha wrote:
jhernes wrote:

it doesn't say that a credit card is required AFTER purchase.

I'm pretty sure one isn't.

krisbee

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 am

Very happy to hear this - will shoot up the niche player to a prime time player very quickly now - and hopefully get more channel developers on board (AND YOUTUBE!) since the product is easily gotten (and hopefully demo'd).

botski

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:08 am

With the tsunami of religious channels that are flowing into the Channel Store, it would only make sense that Walmart customers would be excited about the Roku.

ryanxwalton
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 am

SuetyStanes wrote:

I'm pretty sure one isn't.

Would it be pretty easy to setup a Roku account that doesn't have a CC number on file? That will most likely be the deal breaker with any person who wants me to setup a Roku for them. They absolutely don't want to give out their CC number to a company they aren't familiar with, but would love to use their product. That's elderly people for you.

Gilgamesh

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 am

ryanxwalton wrote:
Would it be pretty easy to setup a Roku account that doesn't have a CC number on file? That will most likely be the deal breaker with any person who wants me to setup a Roku for them. They absolutely don't want to give out their CC number to a company they aren't familiar with, but would love to use their product. That's elderly people for you.

I strongly resent that you categorize people of age so negatively. Age is not the determining factor for stupidity. Stupidity comes in all ages and from my experience the gift of stupidity is bestowed upon the majority of people at the age of majority or maybe earlier.

Walmart, because of its attempt to market to the masses, tends to attract the stupid factor. This means we will see more objections to things like a CC requirement. But we will not, I believe, see any greater percentage of objections to that than we do now. However we will see more objections simply because of increased sales.

My concern is that this could encourage an increase of negative reviews and negative word of mouth with more people being too stupid to pre-qualify themselves for Roku or being unable to understand the setup instructions.

There are many other negative issues involved in selling through a merchant like Walmart and just a few positive. It is hoped that the increased sales offsets the negatives but I believe that the negatives will outway the positives in the long run.

I see many many calls to tech support and many many posts for help here with the issue not being resolved coming. And that will result in expenses that will hurt the bottom line. But I do not think it will hurt enough to make Roku really squirm.

stratcat96

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:44 am

So keep the Roku a niche product that only an enlightened few know about, then wonder why heavy-hitters like Vudu and who knows what else may come stear clear because there isn't enough viewership to bother.... Anyone who deals or has dealt with the public knows that in general people are "dumb". It doesn't matter if they are Walmart shoppers or Rodeo Drive snobs. The biggest difference btw selling Roku at Walmart versus Saks Fifth Avenue is the number of boxes you will sell, not how "tech savvy" the clientele will be.

texashildy

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 am

stratcat96 wrote:
So keep the Roku a niche product that only an enlightened few know about, then wonder why heavy-hitters like Vudu and who knows what else may come stear clear because there isn't enough viewership to bother.... Anyone who deals or has dealt with the public knows that in general people are "dumb". It doesn't matter if they are Walmart shoppers or Rodeo Drive snobs. The biggest difference btw selling Roku at Walmart versus Saks Fifth Avenue is the number of boxes you will sell, not how "tech savvy" the clientele will be.

^ this
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.