Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Walmart now sells Rokus!?!

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am

stratcat96 wrote:
So keep the Roku a niche product that only an enlightened few know about, then wonder why heavy-hitters like Vudu and who knows what else may come stear clear because there isn't enough viewership to bother.... Anyone who deals or has dealt with the public knows that in general people are "dumb". It doesn't matter if they are Walmart shoppers or Rodeo Drive snobs. The biggest difference btw selling Roku at Walmart versus Saks Fifth Avenue is the number of boxes you will sell, not how "tech savvy" the clientele will be.

Agreed.. I really don't think that the type of Walmart customer that has so many problems setting up their Roku that they return it, is even going to think to go to Roku.com and review the product. That's just me.

Walmart has ALL types- yes, half of the types are low-income/"cheapskate" types, but the other half are fairly everyday middle class people.

I HATE shopping at Walmart, but sometimes I just need something and Walmart is the nearest store. So there, I go there, and I suffer through screaming & running kids, people that don't speak English, and other annoyances.. But obviously EVERYONE who shops at Walmart isn't going to buy a Roku box, just because it's there. They're going to actually have a want for it first.

So much judging going on in this thread that it kills me.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Gilgamesh

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am

I did not say that this is a loosing move for Roku; I said that we will see a big increase in negative responses blaming Roku when the fault is really with people being too stupid to follow instructions.

As long as the increased sales offsets the increased expenses of supporting the masses then Roku will be fine.

Oh: "everyday middle class people" really means stupid people of normal income. Whenever you deal with average you deal with stupidity. (See any political campaign or 99% of any twitter conversation.)

jeffrok

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:10 am

Gilgamesh wrote:

Oh: "everyday middle class people" really means stupid people of normal income. Whenever you deal with average you deal with stupidity. (See any political campaign or 99% of any twitter conversation.)

I guess that I'm a stupid person of normal income.

Nice job on the name calling.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Gilgamesh

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:18 am

jeffrok wrote:
I guess that I'm a stupid person of normal income.

Nice job on the name calling.

I did NOT call anyone names. If you choose to take it that way then too bad.

I have no real way of knowing about your intelligence but, judging from your writing, I believe that you are somewhere above average IQ. How much above is impossible to judge without more varied interaction.

I still stand by that Walmart tends to attract the lower end of the intelligence spectrum.

Village Idiot

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

I shop at Walmart about as much as i do anywhere else.
I don't think the people going or working there are any smarter or dumber then anyone else.
What i do know is they provide a lot of jobs for people.
Maybe not the best paying jobs but better then being unemployed.
I wonder how many in here taking cheap shots at walmart have provided jobs for others ?
While you're bashing the customers are being dumb, what made you so smart ?
I don't see anything smart about bashing the intellectual level of others.
I love the idea of walmart selling roku.
I hope to see the power cords, remote controls, as well as ALL the versions of roku there.
No more ordering on line and waiting for it to arrive.
Can buy one as a last minute gift for someone.
Go Walmart.

DaBronx

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 am

I was standing in line this morning at Wal-Mart (Panorama City, Ca) when all of the sudden I started laughing at myself. I do actually shop at Wal-Mart!

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

SuetyStanes

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 am

ryanxwalton wrote:
SuetyStanes wrote:

I'm pretty sure one isn't.

Would it be pretty easy to setup a Roku account that doesn't have a CC number on file? That will most likely be the deal breaker with any person who wants me to setup a Roku for them. They absolutely don't want to give out their CC number to a company they aren't familiar with, but would love to use their product. That's elderly people for you.

Roku asks for payment information when setting up an account on their website, either CC or PayPal information. But, a simple call to customer service will get you around the requirement.

With nothing on file though, it will be impossible to purchase any of the channels through the channel store. The people you are setting it up for might prefer that they have the CC information as it means it's in the hands of a lot fewer people, with payment for channels consolidated with Roku.

There is an entire thread about this, with other options like temporary CC numbers, entering the information and deleting it immediately so nothing is kept on file with Roku, etc.

-LD

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:31 am

Walmart is a depressing place. I shop there because where I live there are few alternatives. There is a Target, which I greatly prefer, but it's not a particularly good Target. I lived in the Twin Cities for a decade and was spoiled by the quality and quantity of Targets. I shopped at Walmart maybe once a year then. Now it's more often because I don't have other choices. And it's depressing every single time. It's some of the saddest people I've ever seen. I truly feel bad for so many of them.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:44 am

Guys and gals,

Let's not get into a debate on the types of people (or their intelligence) who shop at Walmart (I'm one of them!). While I appreciate some of the levity for what it is worth, it doesn't really add to the discussion of Rokus entering the market-place through that medium.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

gonzotek

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Guys and gals,

Let's not get into a debate on the types of people (or their intelligence) who shop at Walmart (I'm one of them!). While I appreciate some of the levity for what it is worth, it doesn't really add to the discussion of Rokus entering the market-place through that medium.

C. Shawn Smith
+1

But what I really want to know is if Roku coming to Walmart implies that Vudu (now owned by Walmart) might soon be coming to Roku??!? :) Shawn, I know you probably won't be able to comment on the matter, but if you wouldn't mind passing on word that we are (or at least I am) still looking for this channel!
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

cwniles

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:02 am

Engadget ( via Zatz Not Funny) brought up an interesting point to this whole Wal-Mart thing that I don't think I saw mentioned here yet.....doesn't Wal-Mart now own Vudu? And could this mean a possible Vudu channel on the Roku? interesting

and yeah, it's easy to bag on Wal-Mart but what's the point? It's actually the closest grocery store to my house and it's open 24 hours....can't really help but go there from time to time.

dang it gonzo, I am not retyping my post, I don't care if you did beat me by 30 seconds ;-)
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

gonzotek

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 am

cwniles wrote:
Engadget ( via Zatz Not Funny) brought up an interesting point to this whole Wal-Mart thing that I don't think I saw mentioned here yet.....doesn't Wal-Mart now own Vudu? And could this mean a possible Vudu channel on the Roku? interesting

and yeah, it's easy to bag on Wal-Mart but what's the point? It's actually the closest grocery store to my house and it's open 24 hours....can't really help but go there from time to time.

dang it gonzo, I am not retyping my post, I don't care if you did beat me by 30 seconds ;-)
:-p

Of course, Dave Zatz (and his commenters) had us both beat by a mile. :)
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 am

gonzotek wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:
Guys and gals,

C. Shawn Smith
+1

But what I really want to know is if Roku coming to Walmart implies that Vudu (now owned by Walmart) might soon be coming to Roku??!? :) Shawn, I know you probably won't be able to comment on the matter, but if you wouldn't mind passing on word that we are (or at least I am) still looking for this channel!

Well ...

1. I'm under an NDA;
2. It's above my payscale.

Heh, honestly, I don't know. Even if I did (and I may try to find out anyway), I wouldn't be able to post either way about it. The only time I'm actually able to post about an upcoming channel is when RokuJon sends me the official release, and even then I sometimes will have to wait for a specific time to do it.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

cwniles

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Heh, honestly, I don't know. Even if I did (and I may try to find out anyway), I wouldn't be able to post either way about it.
C. Shawn Smith

well gonz and I will be expecting PM's when you get the details then :lol:
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

mauiman

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 pm

What is a Walmart?
I stopped thinking about them (and patronizing their stores) when they fired the elderly
door greeter who defended himself after somebody clocked him.
Walmart is evil.